SAU Community

Roll Cage Welding In Tasmania ?

gtr777

ummm good luck getting that cars cage approved.

There is no diagonal in the main hoop which it must have???

i thought the same thing at first, but have a look in the cams manual, you don't need anything in the main hoop. all of his cages are designed like this, and they all have passed.

3.2.4 Diagonal member:At least one Each Diagonal member must be fitted. Its location must be in accordance with drawings 253-3 to 253-5 and it must be straight.

I and the people who cert my cages interperate that as each diagonal in those mentioned drawings must be present in the cage design.

Those drawings as im sure your aware indicate a hoop diagonal and a rear leg diagnoal minimum

Some of the basic cage drawings dont incorporate a diagonal but the way we read those rules it is required.

If his getting them through that way then oh well but personally id rather have a diagonal to stop the thing folding over.

Edited by Risking

253-3 shows the design he uses. main hoop is empty, and the brace is in the back of the car (double brace in yt's case). reason he does it is so you can store your helmates and stuff in the back between stages.

i'm not sure what the cams guys are like in other states. but ours live by those drawings, if you put extra bars in that are not in the drawings, the cage will be knocked back.

eg... this cage has 2 diagonal baces instead of a solid bar in the main hoop...not in the cams manual, and gets knocked back (yt had to cut bars the same as that out of a rally car the other week, cause cams knocked it back)

NissanR33_Diagram.jpg

Edited by sav man

3.2.4 Diagonal member:At least one Each Diagonal member must be fitted. Its location must be in accordance with drawings 253-3 to 253-5 and it must be straight.

I and the people who cert my cages interperate that as each diagonal in those mentioned drawings must be present in the cage design.

Those drawings as im sure your aware indicate a hoop diagonal and a rear leg diagnoal minimum

Some of the basic cage drawings dont incorporate a diagonal but the way we read those rules it is required.

If his getting them through that way then oh well but personally id rather have a diagonal to stop the thing folding over.

not being smart Risking but you should check those CAMS manual drawing numbers you quoted. drawings 253-3 and 253-3A neither have a diagonal in the main hoop, only in the rear section.

Ive just completed my own cage and for a first timer its fing way to hard to interoperate the CAMS manual to do with cages. i had 2 or 3 other people come and give me there opinion of what they though it ment then i went n building.

I was with Ben when we dropped his car off and i asked YT the same thing as i thought at the time that you had to have a diagonal in the main hoop. once you look at the cage an the way it is built you can see that its just as safe and better in a weight balance situation.

YT just did a cage for us for a r33. looks like he got his design ideas from custom cages, cause they are very similar.

gallery_5985_251_1216545.jpg

gallery_5985_251_832168.jpg

gallery_5985_251_1056089.jpg

gallery_5985_251_885224.jpg

very well made for a streeter i would have put the taxi bar on some bends and got the bars that follow the roof lining up higher and the a piller bars closed to the a piller but perfect for a race car where it doesnt matter if the bars are noticed

im not arguing, if he gets them through then great.

My persoanl experiance I had one rejected for not having a diagonal member in the hoop so ever since they all get it.

I guess its the same as front door bars like 253-17b. Ive got a cage passed with that straight leg cut and welded to the side intrusion bar. However more recently with my space frame it has been knocked back and the leg must be one solid bar.

Rules are open to interperation and every inspector is diffrerent I guess.

Thats cage design savman would not pass any of the inspectors I use either.

What are the costs involved with having a cage weled in ?

That's if you go with the "Custom Cage" kit option.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

What are the costs involved with having a cage weled in ?

That's if you go with the "Custom Cage" kit option.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

If you are series contact one or several of the people doing them... they will give you a price based on your requirements. There are quite a few mates rates jobs done on Race cars in Tassie, and a forum is not the place you will get an accurate costing.

TT

• 10 years later...