• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

Jason82

Removal & Replacement Of Heater Core Skyline - The Right Way, Without Removing The Dash At All

did this yesterday (after having the replacement sitting in the garage for the last 1.5 yrs.....) and coming into the end of winter...

but the tutorial worked a treat. around the 2 hr mark to get it all done, and that included me cleaning the evap cooler unit as well - i was actually surprised at how much crap gets onto the cooling coil.

now just have to get a regas done.

Hey Mate, you finally got around to doing this huh? I remember reading your comment back when I first posted this topic, haha. Glad it has worked out and saved so many people $$$'s and time.

Jason (Jason 82 under a new name OstrichFace)

did this yesterday (after having the replacement sitting in the garage for the last 1.5 yrs.....) and coming into the end of winter...

but the tutorial worked a treat. around the 2 hr mark to get it all done, and that included me cleaning the evap cooler unit as well - i was actually surprised at how much crap gets onto the cooling coil.

now just have to get a regas done.

hopefully your question has been answered before now, but if not

try Natrad, they should be able to get you the right one - about $150-$200 brand new

I got one from Natrad recently. Their Product Number was IHC1013A. There was heaps in stock in Canberra so took overnight to ship it down to Melb. Note, I reused my existing plastic pipe connections. You can see if Nissan has spare rubber o-rings for between the pipes and core, if not you could look at using a gasket goo suitable for water/coolant.

im stuck at getting the evaporator out all screws and plugs have been removed just cant seem to pull it out any ideas anyone?

is it weird that i love you more than anything or anyone right now?

when my heater core went this afternoon i called a mate who is a mechanic and he laughed at me and told me id have to take my dash out. i swore at him and then got searching.

look a brilliant sollution. do i have to get my gas taken out though. im not too keen on that.

only difference is i have such a bad leak that the car drains its coolant on a lap of my block. so first up ill have to dsconnect the houses from the firewall and re rout them back onto themselves to keep the coolant in.. then to the aircon guys.

but still cheers.

• Like 1

You'll need to get the gas taken out because you undo the gas line that connect to the coil of the air conditioner. Make sure they bleed as close to empty as possible, the dickhead who did mine kept saying - yea that's about as much as its going to go, yet the needle was reading between 1/4 and empty & kept draining more and more. Just means when you come to undo the gas lines - you won't have shitloads of gas still in the system.

Just don't turn your ac on when you drive home & you'll be sweet

Has anyone got an idea where to source the hard pipes from that go from the heater matrix through the fire wall. Mine pretty much disintegrated in my hands when I took them out to do this?

Cheers,

- Lance

My 33 GTST S2 isn't leaking coolant but the heater isn't warming up the cabin. Even though the temp. set at 32deg. Anyone has any solutions.

Is the mixing vent cog spinning freely or can you hear a sound down behind your center console (head unit, control area etc)? If so youll need to fix that so the flap can open and let the heat in

Edited by BstewyR33

My 33 GTST S2 isn't leaking coolant but the heater isn't warming up the cabin. Even though the temp. set at 32deg. Anyone has any solutions.

Could be a blockage in the lines?

Take the two heater hoses off at the firewall and run a garden hose on one of the fittings - should flush out anything clogged in there hopefully.

I replaced my heater core using this guide - apart from a bit of yoga to get in under the dash with the passenger seat still in, it was a breeze!

I'm trying to do this without having to re-gas because I have to take apart the dash to do head unit work but I can't seem to find any guides which explain how to get all the way to the heater core. I have the centre of the dash out (head unit, climate control, cluster, glove box but not sure where to go from there.

not sure where to post this lads.....so DONT flame me.....?

I HAVE just tried to do this, but with no luck...? (replace heater core/ rad ) on my R33. )

DID YOU KNOW THERE ARE 2 SIZES TO THESE HEATER CORES...!!! or...am I missing something..?

the one I have just pulled from my late 93 R33 GTST . ....is a LOT SMALLER than the one I have bought to replace it. and as such the bigger one WILL NOT FIT into my cars housing...!!!

at this stage lads....I am ALL EARS in regard to any info on this..? being I am stumped now till I find a "small" unit that will fit into my car....!!! cheers ?

+1 for this tute - just finished on my R34 GT-T which took me around 4 hours.

For anyone else looking to follow this and save themselves a fair whack of coin, you'll need patience and for the love of god, a magnetic tip Phillips head screwdriver! Trust me!

I replaced the heater core outlets on my 1998 C34 Stagea Series 2. This guide was absolutely spot on. Apart from getting the evaporator out this is a pretty easy job for you to do by yourself at home. I reckon it took me 3 to 4 hours tops.

I got replacement heater core outlets from Boostdoc: https://www.boostdoc.com.au/. Very well made and highly recommend them. Note they are angled slightly differently to the factory plastic outlets but they fit and getting zero leaks - Aaron @ Boostdoc says that they are angled that way so the hoses sit flatter against the firewall inside the engine bay and give more clearance behind the head.

Only additions that I would have to this guide / little things couldn't seem to find solid info on or missed in my homework:

1) BEFORE you start, get yourself some new cabin filters if you haven't changed them recently - mine looked like they had been there since '98... Repco RCF708 fits, equivalent of Ryco RCA318P. Also give the evaporator unit a clean with a compressor and/or vacuum cleaner while it's out of the car. 

2) With hindsight removing the passenger seat probably would have made this a more comfortable job to do, especially when you're removing the heater core outlets or trying to remove the plastic tab holding the core in. 

3) The heater core itself is fully alloy. 

Got some pics of it installed as well as that plastic clip that was mentioned in the guide. I tried to be gentle with it and it snapped. The hooked end in the pic was closest to the firewall. Not sure if it's hinged or like that on the other side as well. I'm not worried about the core going anywhere.

IMG_20190810_153917.jpg

IMG_20190810_170519.jpg

IMG_20190810_172542.jpg

IMG_20190811_113406.jpg

IMG_20190811_115829.jpg

MVIMG_20190811_122227.jpg

IMG_20190811_121832.jpg