SAU Community

M35 Obd2 Or Is It?

scotty nm35

I purchased an obd 2 cable off fleabay the other day to try and reset the engine light I have on but I cant seem to get it to work. Has anybody actually connected one of these suckers before?

I can connect to the ecu but it seems to have a different protocol to every standard I can find. The pinouts on the car's connector don't seem to be any of the standards either.

I think perhaps the signals are there but in a different location on the plug.

Any ideas? Obviously the Nissan software reads it, but I really dont want to go to them with every issue.

post-63525-1248271070_thumb.jpg

Edited by scotty nm35

I think I bought the same one off ebay and same result.

I also tried the Blatz cable on my car and it does not work correctly either.

I have been told that the it is OBD2 and the protocol is KWP2000 but most ones you can find will not work because the logic of KWP2000 is not followed right through the system. You will have seen that in the pin locations.

The Auto Electricians with the really expensive ($$5-10k) scanners will be able to reset things for you.

There is a cable and software under development but is is not ready yet. When I know more about this I will let you all know.

Cheers

Andy

The information seems to be there, just on a different pin. The trust Touch informeter site uses pin 3 for the data which isnt on any standards. Could it just be the obd2 pin locations have been swapped?

I have had the importer with his $8k unit reset things and they return with the next start. Perhaps his unit just needs an update.

Seems odd to have an obd2 connector that no one can connect to...

Seems odd to have an obd2 connector that no one can connect to...

From the reading I have done Japan does not seem to have committed to following the standard ODB protocols for cars only bound for the JDM. I think this is why they do this, perhaps it has been to try to keep some of the servicing business for their Nissan dealers or my second theory on this odd pin arrangement is that it relates to the ECU. We have already worked out that the ECU in the M35 with VQ25DET is a bit of a rare/odd ECU and not common.

I have had the importer with his $8k unit reset things and they return with the next start. Perhaps his unit just needs an update.

I have heard that your engine light may be there because of the eManage.

I don't think there will not be anything you can do about it, besides putting some tape over the light.

None of them will be because the pinout is different.

The light I want fixed is the Airbag first and foremost as I dont know if they are working. How do you test them? :D

Just got the bugger off from Berwick Nissan, We can only do Australian cars. Bull mate, dont you have the cunsult 3? No comment.

The light I want fixed is the Airbag first and foremost as I dont know if they are working. How do you test them? :D

Just got the bugger off from Berwick Nissan, We can only do Australian cars. Bull mate, dont you have the cunsult 3? No comment.

LOL.

I guess you did not head my warning about them then, eh?

Had to try mate, this is a safety issue and Ferntree Gully Nissan cant book me in till Wednesday 29th.

I have to work out the issue with the obd2 plug as I refuse to deal with these tossers, treating me like a thief.

Had to try mate, this is a safety issue and Ferntree Gully Nissan cant book me in till Wednesday 29th.

I have to work out the issue with the obd2 plug as I refuse to deal with these tossers, treating me like a thief.

Check when Chris Rogers is coming to Melbourne.

I am pretty sure his scan tool will work on the M35 and I thought he may be doing a trip to Melbourne soon.

Berwick Nissan also gave me about 300 questions when I wanted a new keyblank for the Skyline...

Told them it was for a Micra, and even gave them a Micra vin.. that shut them up...

This is so short sighted of them not to take our money... Toyota went through the same thing with not wanting to touch the imports, then the penny dropped about how much Soarer owners are prepared to pay for servicing and parts... Toyota NZ even import and sell Grey import vehilces through their Toyota Signature scheme..

Edited by nickcorr

Keema Nissan tried their software (not sure if they have the latest CONSULT) on mine and said it wouldn't talk to it. I believe CONSULT-II should work, not sure about OBD-II though.

If you have fixed the problem that caused the engine light to come on, its easy to make it disappear. However if its due to the emanage or something that is still there, the engine light will come straight back - even if Nissan/OBD can clear it.

To erase the fault codes, just do what it says in this thread (I know, cos i posted it):

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ec...-W-t261557.html

I've tried it just the other day. Was adjusting my headlights and had the airbox out, then put everything back in and went for a drive around the block without the AFM electrical connector in...oops. It still ran fine, I had no idea there was a problem except for the engine light on the dash. I did the above and it cleared it.

I love the on-board diagnostics of this car. Every car manufacturer should take note.

Btw most VQ engines have the same on-board diagnostics. So grab a copy of the V35 manual online and look up all the stuff you can do. You can check codes from the engine and the transmission, re-learn idle, reset tps, reset pedal position, and a few other things.

It may take a few goes to get it right, but once you understand how it works, its pretty easy. Just make sure your door is shut and a/c off etc.