SAU Community

Redline Heavy Shockproof Oil

bodge

I have a r33 GTST with i think superlight weight shockproof oil. (blue in colour) The car now makes some decent power and after some hard driving, quite alot of gearbox oil has come out the breather, so now l have decided to change the gearbox oil as well as the diff oil. I just bought some heavy shockproof oil thinking that this was the oil in the gearbox but, opening the bottle l noticed that it is red in colour meaning the oil that is in my box is either light weight or super lightweight. Has anyone used super heavy shockproof in there gearbox and what is the shift like. Thanks.

i wouldn't run either oil in your gearbox if its a servicable unit. Castrol Syntrax is what you should be using. Id only put Redline Lightweight shockproof in a worn gearbox thats difficult to shift as a temporary measure until box is rebuilt.

Have used Lightweight Shockproof in many 33's without issues of any kind. 100% of the time the customer reports smoother shifting.

Heavy shockproof will cause a notchy shifting feel

Notchy only when cold I have found... once warm it is smoooth as silk

Notchy only when cold I have found... once warm it is smoooth as silk

Your gearbox may be nearing the end of it's life. When it is temperature biased, it usually means the synchro is quite worn.

Your gearbox may be nearing the end of it's life. When it is temperature biased, it usually means the synchro is quite worn.

It's a 2000 KM old OSG 5 speed. Fresh as a daisy.

I thought lightweight shockproof was only recommended as a stop gap to keep worn boxes going a bit longer. Wouldnt you have been better of with MT90? Since you've got a shiny new gearset it might be worth ringing up Redline and speaking to them directly to get the info straight from the source...

This seems to be a continual source of confusion, I ran MT90, my box didn't like it, Redline Lightweight shockproof is smoother.

If you read carefully, the American redline website does NOT recommend due to some regulations.

The Australian website DOES recommend it, and I've seen it written in there books.

If you end up buying some, its expensive, try performancelub.com , I don't think heavy shockproof is for any skyline....

My gearbox is in perfect nick, I put lightweight shockproof in it just because I've got some crunching at the track (and only at the track) with the previous fluid (most likely genuine nissan gearbox fluid)

It's a 2000 KM old OSG 5 speed. Fresh as a daisy.

I thought lightweight shockproof was only recommended as a stop gap to keep worn boxes going a bit longer. Wouldnt you have been better of with MT90? Since you've got a shiny new gearset it might be worth ringing up Redline and speaking to them directly to get the info straight from the source...

This seems to be a continual source of confusion, I ran MT90, my box didn't like it, Redline Lightweight shockproof is smoother.

If you read carefully, the American redline website does NOT recommend due to some regulations.

The Australian website DOES recommend it, and I've seen it written in there books.

If you end up buying some, its expensive, try performancelub.com , I don't think heavy shockproof is for any skyline....

Interesting - was this a newly rebuilt box? IIRC there was post ages ago from someone who had problems with a rebuilt box and light shock.

My gearbox is in perfect nick, I put lightweight shockproof in it just because I've got some crunching at the track (and only at the track) with the previous fluid (most likely genuine nissan gearbox fluid)

Umm, you says its in perfect nick but it crunches? Call me stupid but wouldn't that imply its clearly NOT in perfect nick? Or are brand new boxes known for crunching gears?

So you have a 5 gear set in the standard case? Who supplied the synchros and are they genuine items?

Yes thats right. OSG 1,2,3 with heavy duty input shaft and I chose to use a stock Nissan 5th gear as it is taller then the OSG item. Synchro's are all genuine, most of which came out of the box I smashed to bits. That box had 11,000 KMS on it.

Some people are totally for the redline stuff, yet others wont go near it. On a side note when the new Nissan 5 speed box went in Just Jap wouldnt warranty the box unless Redline lightweight went into it.

Umm, you says its in perfect nick but it crunches? Call me stupid but wouldn't that imply its clearly NOT in perfect nick? Or are brand new boxes known for crunching gears?

Note I said only at the track, all Nissan 5 speeds have the common redline 3rd to 4th crunch gear change (if shifted quickly), i believe it's a design fault with the 3rd and 4th gear.