SAU Community

Japanese Sports Tyre Advice

13Beast

Hey there,

The time has come to purchase a set of 16' tyres for my mr-2.

This is the first time buyig tyres here, and am unsure which chain tyre store to go to for the best deals/range.

Any suggestions? What jap spec top quality performance tyres are some of the best picks for a street car with some weekend track work? Car is a 93 mr-2 gt running a td-06, cams etc so isn't short of power by any means.

Cheers

Go to any of the large chains when they have certain campaigns running like a "Advan Campaign" at SuperAutobacs, Yellow Hat etc and the sales people are as flexible as you could expect someone who usually doesn't discount to be :) They're all so similar I don't think any one place is miles better than another unless they're doing free tyre fitting or some other freebie.

The guys at Power Sports recommended me these for street/track -> Neova AD08s: http://www.yokohamatire.jp/yrc/japan/tire/...neova_ad08.html

I'm a bit biased towards Advan :bunny:

I have heard Advans are an excellent tyre. I just got it over Shaken, and had the fronts replaced with Bridgestone RE-01. Apparently they are a very good sports tyre from Bridgestone... The ones on the rear are virtually bald though, and I don't have the cash to replace them all with a new set of something different (given the fronts are brand new).

Do you know much about the RE-01's? I haven't had the opportunity to really try them out yet, as driving on the street with the 1-way diff and learning to cope with dense Japanese urban traffic makes it difficult :)