SAU Community

R34gtt Diff Oil.

BASHO

Like the title, how much and what brand/type of oil for a R34GTT diff and are these Torsen or clutch plate LSDs?

I've searched and have'nt found a deffinative answer , I must be looking in the wrong place. :D

Edited by BASHO

I would use either Redline 75w90/80w140 gear oil or Castrol SAF-XA or Castrol LSX 90/140, or maybe even Royal Purple 75w90 gear oil (Max-Gear i think it's called). can find the redline and royal purple oils cheap @ www.performancelub.com

or really anything that meets GL-5 specs and is LSD compatible (80w90 is specified, though thats japanese conditions, I think 80w140 is much better for our conditions) and possibly compatible with Hypoid diffs (I'm not sure what diff R34 GT-Ts have)

Rear diffs are usually no more than 1.8l

Also note if its an A-LSD or a mechanical type :P

The use of the car(ie daily driving/track bashing/drag meets)

The climate your in as well

All these can factor in what oil will be 'Best' suited to your needs as different driving scenario's and so on all present thier own unique hazards. As a future reference you can pay a quick visit to www.castrol.com for a basic guide to your cars needs on oils for everyday operation :(

Enjoy!

Also note if its an A-LSD or a mechanical type ;)

The use of the car(ie daily driving/track bashing/drag meets)

The climate your in as well

All these can factor in what oil will be 'Best' suited to your needs as different driving scenario's and so on all present thier own unique hazards. As a future reference you can pay a quick visit to www.castrol.com for a basic guide to your cars needs on oils for everyday operation ;) Enjoy

:whistling: Ah Ha--and here we go.

GT-T Series (R34) , 2.5 Litre Turbo Eng., RWD (1998-2003)

shim.gifshim.gifCrankcaseshim.gifCASTROL EDGE SPORT 5W-30

Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 is a full synthetic SAE 5W-30, API SM/CF. ACEA A3/B3/B4 engine oil formulated for highly tuned fast fours and latest technology engines. It provides superb strength and ultimae protection even when running hard, fast or hot.

CASTROL EDGE SPORT 0W-40shim.gifService Refill Capacity: 4.6* Litres (See Note 510)

shim.gifshim.gifManual Transmissionshim.gifCASTROL VMX 80

Mild extreme pressure gear oil with special viscosity stabilisers to overcome shift problems. Recommended for use in transaxles of most front wheel drive vehicles with a transverse engine and manual transmissions experiencing low temperature shift problems. SAE 75W/80, API GL4.

CASTROL VMX-M 75W/85

Mineral transmission and transaxle fluid especially formulated as a factory fill fluid for Mitsubishi vehicles and used in passenger cars, 4WD's and light commercial vehicles. SAE 75W/85, API GL4.shim.gif

shim.gifshim.gifAutomatic Transmissionshim.gifCASTROL TQ DIII

Castrol TQ DIII is an automatic transmission fluid formulated to satisfy the GM H-36163 specification, and suitable for automatic transmissions requiring a GM fluid. Not suitable for use where Dexron® VI fluids are required.shim.gif

shim.gifshim.gifDifferentialshim.gifCASTROL EPX 80W/90

Multipurpose gearbox, steering gear and differential oil for passenger cars, light trucks, farm tractors and earthmoving equipment. SAE 80W/90, API GL5.shim.gif (See Note 1174)

shim.gifshim.gifPower Steeringshim.gifCASTROL PS FLUID

A mineral based fluid suitable for most power steering systems where the following specifications are nominated: Dexron®, Dexron® II & Dexron® III, SAE 10W or 10W-20 engine oil, ISO 32 or 46 hydraulic oil, Ford M2C-33 F/G, Ford M2C-138 CJ, Ford M2C-166H, Ford Mercon, Ford SQM-2C-9010A and Mitsubishi Power Steering Fluid.shim.gif (See Note 516)

shim.gifshim.gifNotes*Includes Oil Filter510May also use CASTROL MAGNATEC.516May also use CASTROL TRANSMAX M, CASTROL TQF or CASTROL TQ DIII.1174If operating consistently above 30 deg. C, use CASTROL EPX 85W/140.shim.gif<script type=text/javascript> var soCastrolEdge120240; soCastrolEdge120240 = new SWFObject("../castr_au/img/CastrolEdge_120x240.swf", "MovieCastrolEdge120240", "120", "240", "6", "#ffffff"); soCastrolEdge120240.write("CastrolEdge120240"); shim.gif

I wonder a bit about these recomendations-------- :( any comments anyone ??

Edited by BASHO

As always, different driving scenario's require different approaches. It was posted as a basic guide for everyday driving and is the same guide 90% of our nissan workshops go by :)

On a personal note i use Mobil1 or Fuchs in the engine where possible and use Genuine oils in the driveline. (please note: Genuine Driveline oils from nissan are notoriously dear, MaticD for instance is scary!!)

As for Castrol's recomendation, its much the same with Mobil's, Penrite's, Fuch's and GW's oil recomendations, surely they cant all be wrong. Hope you get your oils sorted and good luck with your Skizza!

• 1 month later...

I've ended up useing :--

Diff--Castrol SAF XE.

About 1.6ltr to fill it was a ass to get in due to a fat exhaust and it just didn't want to fill, I rotated a back wheel and moved the diff core waited a minute then it seemed to fill more easily.

Gearbox--Nulon 75w-85 fully synthetic smooth shift,

Don't whatever you do make the mistake of putting a hypoid gear oil of any type in the gearbox-ah hem --who me ? ;) - the shift will go to lead.The fill was 3.8ltrs

Castrol also do a Syntrans 75-90 which is suposed to be good as well and it's suposed to rrp at around $22.00 a litre but you will find that our enterprising :D aftermarket assholes often , if they have it attall , price it the same as Syntrax at around $33-35.00ltr.

The Syntrans is recomended by Castrol for the R34GTT the Syntrax isn't. (in mineral Castrol also recomend a 75W-85 VMX and a VMX-M 80 wieght.

I change the gearbox and diff oil every twelve months as I do most of my K's in small trips , I live in a hotish climate and I do low overall K's , I just figure its cheap insurance.

Edited by BASHO

you mean castrol SAF-XA right ? Cant find an XE anywhere.. 've already got shockproof lightweight for the gearbox

Oh and I just read in another thread (http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Castrol-Diff-Oil-t157915.html) that the SAF-XA is too heavy for a skyline diff and to use that hypoid stuff ? Hmm ..might just ask Nissan what they use/recommend and stick with that for the diff.

you mean castrol SAF-XA right ? Cant find an XE anywhere.. 've already got shockproof lightweight for the gearbox

Oh and I just read in another thread (http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Castrol-Diff-Oil-t157915.html) that the SAF-XA is too heavy for a skyline diff and to use that hypoid stuff ? Hmm ..might just ask Nissan what they use/recommend and stick with that for the diff.

Yup SAF-XA -not XE- typo , my bad.

OK. Heres a link to Castrols recomendations for R34GTT http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/default.asp

And some more home grown advice here http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Transmission-

Lubricants-t205993.html://http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/fo...ts-t205993.html

And HHHmmmm hope you have more luck with your local pissant dealer than I had with mine who couldn't /wouldn't sell me or tell me SFA about anything to do with R34 fluids-of any type.

The Penrite 75w-90 SIN actualy came as a recomendation from a genius at Penrite.(no mention of friken hypoid.)

And :-

Product Description

Castrol SAF-XA is a fully synthetic rear axle fluid incorporating Castrol’s

most advanced transmission fluid technology. It is designed to provide

protection at the utmost extremes of very low and high operating

temperatures where mineral gear oils prove unsatisfactory. It is

Castrol’s prime recommendation for competition, severe duty and long

drain applications.

Product Application

Castrol SAF-XA is recommended for rear axles of passenger cars and

commercial vehicles.

Holden V8 rear axles.

Trucks including “road-trains” operating in severe service where

high oil temperatures in the differentials and power dividers are

encountered.

Competition vehicle rear axles, Group A, sport sedans, Formula

Holden, Rally cars. Castrol SAF-XA was the transmission-rear axle

fluid used by Sauber-Mercedes who won the 1989 Le Mans 24

Hour Endurance Sports Car Race and the 1989 and 1990 World

Sports Car Championships.

Both limited slip and non-limited slip rear axles.

For vehicles towing caravans and heavy trailers.

In certain manual transmissions, where GL5 80W/90, 90 or

85W/140 are recommended.

Covers full rear axle viscosity range from SAE 75W through to SAE

“Legs” of outboard and stern-drives used in competition (e.g.

Formula One and ski racing).

Eaton, Rockwell or Dana axles where synthetic oils are specified for long drain

So instead of snide remarks I suggest you get of your ass and find out from your obviously compliant Nissan dealer then post it up for everyones information.

:whistling: