SAU Community

Car Wont Start, Reds Stay On... Help!

BlackR32

Hi all,

I have a strange problem... my R33 GTST (stock as a rock) wont start, it wont even engage the starter motor. one day it was cranking to start, then the next time i tried... NOTHING, further to this my reds on my dash come up as usual if you are turing your car on but I can pull the key back out and they all stay on.

the only way to get the reds OFF is to pull the battery out.

I do NOT have an immobiliser on the car yet so it's not that besides which they stay on permenantly anyway...

I just got the car, it had the engine replaced but wasn't finished being put together yet so I finished it up, all that needed to happen was to have the possitives connected to the front relay box. Anyway as stated above, it was cranking it just didn't have enough power left in the battery to kick it over properly... I replaced teh battery and now I have this problem.

My Auto elec friend checked it out and thought it might have been the ECU, so I have replaced that and the ploblem still exists.

Has anyone seen this before or does anyone have any ideas? I'm completely lost on this one :P

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

H

yes there is one there, but I have pulled it out,.. just unplugged it from the loom.

But how would that explain the fact that it was working before? have tried plugging it in and taking it out a few times, but no joy...

any other thoughts anyone at all?

An air gap?

How on earth? are you suggesting there is an air line that is supposed to be plugged in? I ask this feeling a little sheepish because that seems a little strange... I have installed a few of these (pure electrical)... eitherway, I will have a look at the relay it's plugged into to see if there is a problem there.

Although I have unplugged these before aswell for rego purposes... never had the problem.

Still not sure what else to try.

Airgap = two electrical contacts that don't touch

You have a live ignition wire going into the turbo timer and then it comes back out again and carries on to the loom. If you unplug the timer you should have open circuit.

A turbo timer is just a fancy on/off switch, if you take the switch out then you have no current flow. So unless you bridge the two appropriate wires ie join them up using a link wire then you have an airgap.

Ahh, understood, I thought for a moment you were talking about an air line...

all the same, i will go remove the timer from the system altogether and see if that helps (connecting all wires to factory state).

Would that explain why the reds are staying on?

we also have the problem of the starter not engaging... with previous turbo timers I have been able to engage the starter even when the timer was on and doing it's thing regardlss of whether the car is running at the time.

Anyone got any thoughts on this ?

Thanks for your help so far Trident, really appreciate the input.

It's manual.

Also I had my auto electritian coem round last night...

he removed the turbo timer wiring completely, problem still existed. He then pulled all the blugs out of the ignition and probed them, we could get the lights to go off by effetively earthing out a wire... that wire went to the starter motor, so we disconnected the starter... the problem still existed BUT the lights would go out if we earthed a DIFFERENT wire this time...

It's all very strange particularly because the problem didn't exist a week ago and has popped up .

so in summary, the car is now 100% stock, no timer, controller or anything else.

The problem is still there, no starter engage, red's won't go out... there is NO alarm or immobiliser on this car.

Going to have to go to the wiring diagram on this one, but not being as technical as some I have no idea what we will find...

any other ideas would be great in the mean time guys.

cheers.

will try putting into diagnostic mode tonight...

we pulled all the plugs in the bastard out and still the problem exists... anyone think of anything new?

I will update with anything the ecu fesses up tonight.

cheers for the idea. now all I need to do is figure out HOW to put it into dig mode... also whether I will actually be ABLE to if it involves using the ignition... cause it doesn't turn off.

No alarm... no immobilizer, no turbo timer.

She is totally stock now with NOTHING aftermarket, and no original immobilizer or anything like that... I don't think they ever had them factory anyhow ;)

My electrician thinks that perhaps there is a bad earth somewhere in the car, but I just don't know what could cause this, we have looked at all the wiring we can, all the earths, nothing.

Any other ideas? Happy to go over what I have already done.