SAU Community

Car Wont Start, Reds Stay On... Help!

BlackR32

well that blew away my autowatch alarm theory.. have you checked all the relays in the box near the battery? sometimes they can go and there is no way to tell just looking at them.. take them out of a mates car and replace them etc.. see how that idea goes

• 1 month later...

I had a little problem like this before, does a little red light come on next to the battery and check oil light come on, if it comes on check a fuse under your dash, this happened to me and couldn't start my car i don't have a alarm or immobiliser but the people before me put one in, so you might not think you have one but someone might of put a after market one in and took it out when sold, Good luck

i had this problem before.

first thing i did was to wiggle around the steering and turn the ignition to see if it would start. This method DID NOT work.

the second i got a wiring diagram and went through all the earthing points on my car (r32gts) and basically replaced them or screw them properly. This FIXED the problem, but it might be different for you.

so if it is an electrical problem just check your earthing first and go from there.

hey mate dunno if this helps but from what you explained I had the same problem last week, I was stuck on the side of the road and my car wouldnt engage the starter motor, I still had reds and power and thought it had to be my alarm or turbo timer, after disabling the imobilizer and turbo timer same issue, then after alot of tearing my hair out and frustration I decided to just pull the battery out walk down to the petrol station and get another one, put it in and started first go, havnt had any dramas since ... looks like I had a dead cell in the battery or something, but it was strange coz a few quick checks with a multimeter didnt show anything still had 12.4 volts in it and an acid leak test didnt show anything either, if u can get ur hands on a battery outta another car or somethin try it ? hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Thanks very much for all the input, the car is fixed and going now, it was an earth in the front fuse box... Amazing, it WAS earthed with another earth but wasn't getting a good enough connection obviously.... really strange.

The car would start if jumped from the front, but couldn't run off the battery at the back, thats how we narrowed down on where the problem would be.

Anyway, just have to put the interior back together now and life will be merry...

thanks again everyone :P!!

• 8 years later...

Sorry to bring this up I had the exact same problem tonight just as I ripped out the turbo timer in a Woolworths carpark lol I found it to be an earth in the engine bay had the exact same symptoms hope this helps anyone later.