SAU Community

Rb25 Converted R32 Gtst - Getting Engine Numbers Checked At Vicroads?

Lukaz

Hey all, Just had an rb25 built and fitted into my R32. Car is still rego'd with rb20, at a glance its road worthy (lights, washers, tires, etc)

Im just wondering if it is as simple as just booking the car in to have the new rb25 engine numbers inspected and walking away with out any defect dramas?

Whats the worst than can happen? I have a whole list of mods, altho the engine looks relatively stock (standard plenum, turbo) but it does have a sly custom fuel rail hiding under the intake manifold, as well as FMC and a POD, splitfires, aftermarket fuel pressure reg.

My understanding was that engine mods falls into EPA catagory, and that unless you get an asshole inspector vicroads arn't too fussed?

In the chance I do get an asshole inspector, Will he issue anything to my car to say its illegally modified? or will he just send me on my way and not hear anything of it again?

Who else has had there rb25 converted r32 inspected and can I please here your storys before I decide whether I should risk taking it down?

Thanks everyone...

Im not spending anymore time or money on the car mate as Im actually selling it. Im just curious to see if it is as easy to get engine numbers swapped as I have heard and Im wondering if anyone has had a bad experience taking their car into for the engine number check.

it is possible i know someone with a rb25 in there r32. just try transferring the engine no etc etc and e see how you go they can only reject it. and ask why and what you can do.

If you think you can go into VicRoads and tell you them have done a motor conversion and that's all there is too it... i think you need to do more research.

Change of motor requires engineers - there is absolutely no getting around that legally.

If you do just tell them you have a "new" RB20 with a new number - you are then driving illegally, selling the car illegally, will not be covered by TAC, insurance and on goes the list.

The new owner can easily turn that back on you if you sell it with rego.

Pay the $500, get it engineered if you want to sell it with rego, or inform the buyer you did an illegal conversion and can't sell it with rego - they need to engineers etc etc.

To note - VicRoads themselves will not care what mod's are on the car if the engineer has signed off on it.

If you are selling it and trying to cut a dodge... That is even worse and frankly i wont allow a thread going over illegal matters to continue on this forum as its all kinds of wrong.

Should the new owner be pulled over/defected/in accident/whatever - you as the seller and whoever issued your RWC will feel be in some serious shit with VicRoads/Law i can assure you.

That kinda thing isn't taken lightly. VicRoads have chased up dodgy compliance items on cars 3-4 years later, so it is not as if it this type of thing never happens.

If you have a RWC - whoever did it, did it incorrectly/didn't understand the laws (thats if you told them you had done a motor conversion at all)...

They will probably loose their license so expect a court case from them as well (again, if you pulled the wool over their eyes).

So to summarise - you have two ways to go.

1. Engineer it to sell with rego (legally)

2. Sell without rego, inform new owner of the illegal conversion and the requirement for them to spend $500-$600 getting the engineers passed (legally)

Anything else, illegal.

If you think you can go into VicRoads and tell you them have done a motor conversion and that's all there is too it... i think you need to do more research.

Change of motor requires engineers - there is absolutely no getting around that legally.

If you do just tell them you have a "new" RB20 with a new number - you are then driving illegally, selling the car illegally, will not be covered by TAC, insurance and on goes the list.

The new owner can easily turn that back on you if you sell it with rego.

Pay the $500, get it engineered if you want to sell it with rego, or inform the buyer you did an illegal conversion and can't sell it with rego - they need to engineers etc etc.

To note - VicRoads themselves will not care what mod's are on the car if the engineer has signed off on it.

If you are selling it and trying to cut a dodge... That is even worse and frankly i wont allow a thread going over illegal matters to continue on this forum as its all kinds of wrong.

Should the new owner be pulled over/defected/in accident/whatever - you as the seller and whoever issued your RWC will feel be in some serious shit with VicRoads/Law i can assure you.

That kinda thing isn't taken lightly. VicRoads have chased up dodgy compliance items on cars 3-4 years later, so it is not as if it this type of thing never happens.

If you have a RWC - whoever did it, did it incorrectly/didn't understand the laws (thats if you told them you had done a motor conversion at all)...

They will probably loose their license so expect a court case from them as well (again, if you pulled the wool over their eyes).

So to summarise - you have two ways to go.

1. Engineer it to sell with rego (legally)

2. Sell without rego, inform new owner of the illegal conversion and the requirement for them to spend $500-$600 getting the engineers passed (legally)

Anything else, illegal.

First of all nismoid you need to stop jumping to conclusions, I never once mentioned anywhere that I would just say i have a new "rb20"?? And I never mentioned I wanted to do "trick" anyone into buying some illegally dodged up car (which it isn't) .

Modified cars are always going to be a hassle, your naive if you think otherwise even with an engineers. After spending just a touch over $20k on this motor I am not in the position to spend anymore money than I have to, I just want to cut my loses and move on. The car is still registered, and my understanding is as long as the rb25 is matched to the rego all should be fine. If you get pulled over in it, whether or not its rego'd with the rb20 or the rb25 isn't going to make two fifth's of f**k all diffference r31nismoid, the owner is still going to get pulled up on the modifications, thats the risk you take owning a modified car.

Thanks to everyone else for the reply's, Im going to book it in for the inspection.

I never jumped to conclusions - if you would kindly note the use of the statement "if" several times.

Simply to cover all bases in one post rather than make 50.

if

a. In the event that: If I were to go, I would be late.

b. Granting that: If that is true, what should we do?

c. On the condition that: She will play the piano only if she is paid.

2. Although possibly; even though: It is a handsome if useless trinket.

3. Whether: Ask if he plans to come to the meeting.

4. Used to introduce an exclamatory clause, indicating a wish: If they had only come earlier!

n.

A possibility, condition, or stipulation: There will be no ifs, ands, or buts in this matter.

Usage Note: In informal writing both if and whether are standard in their use to introduce a clause indicating uncertainty after a verb such as ask, doubt, know, learn, or see

So now we have your jumping to conclusions out the way... you totally missed the point of several statements i made.

I never once said that with an engineers the new owner wont get pulled up - please show me where i have said this?

I simply said that with an engineers - VicRoads will not look at the mods. Being that was one of your questions that i have tried to answer.

You understanding of the RB25 being matched to the rego is wrong. Seems you missed that in all of your excitement when reading my post perhaps?

And I never mentioned I wanted to do "trick" anyone into buying some illegally dodged up car (which it isn't) .

Sadly, it is dodged/illegal at present. You are driving around in a car with what is deemed to be an illegal engine conversion.

Selling a car with an illegal conversion. Getting a RWC for a conversion that, is illegal.

Perhaps in future if you do not want to hear the correct answers about your illegal goings on, you might want to reconsidering starting a thread about it.

if the engine was never released in that model of car, you will require an engi cert. larger engine displacement means all nescessary brakes and suspension components are replaced to accomodate, and therefore an engi needs to sign off on it. if you call vicroads and tell them of an engine change and it isnt an rb20 as nismoid mentioned, you run a very high risk of getting into some trouble :thumbsup:

anyway, if you dont wanna spend a cent on it, just sell the car without reg/rwc and be honest with the buyer. if he opts to buy it in those circumstances, you are all good. if not, youll be spending more money to get it cert and sold with reg/rwc.

ps: to specify, by model i mean (GTS-t = rb20det, GTS-25 = rb25de, GTR = rb26dett).

I used to work at vicroads. The person who serves you will have to go out and sight the engine number on the car, then update it on the system to change it on the cars record and print out a new rego label. As soon as the system picks up an engine change that number doesnt match the numbers that should be on the system it will ask for a RWC and a VASS.

So now we have your jumping to conclusions out the way... you totally missed the point of several statements i made.

It's "you're".

Don't be so hasty in throwing in those dictionary quotes without checking your own grammar first. It makes it hard for me to view you as the highly intelligent person you're trying to perceive.

Your advice will be duly noted tho. I in no way intend to trick any buyer into buying my car without understanding what they are getting.

I don't have the time, nor money to source out parts etc to get the car engineered. So it will be up to the new owner to sort out.

I would still like to hear from other people's experiences with this conversion tho.

My old housemate had a neat R32 with 25 conversion and one day was pulled over and the agro meant he had to sell it. I think that car had just been converted from WA to VIC plates. My understanding is that even if Vic Roads let you walk out of there with the updated rego papers, that in no way means the car is legal or roadworthy. f you are pulled over then the issues stated above rise to the surface.

so you spend $20k on building engine and whatsoever and wont wait to afford the $500-$600 to have it legal?

not to be a dick man but its a stupid idea to not do it

plus you will generate more interest in selling if all the work is complete to, people will be weary why wasnt it engineered and why are you selling?

you must remember when people are buying cars they get very picky

True story here:

Best mate got a NEO, 5 stud S13 conversion, R33 brakes fitted to his HR31 GTS-X and went into Vicroads after getting RWC for it (had registered it in his name for the first time), and the woman who looked just put down the new engine number and nothing was said? Does this mean he's potentially going to f**k himself over if an overzealous cop decides to really go over his ride?

BTW mine which is registered in NSW is registered with the RB25 engine number on it, and I haven't got a Engineers Cert :S