SAU Community

Late R34 V Spec Rear Calipers/rotor Size -?322mm

Mike Rowe

I have just fitted R34 V Spec Brembo calipers front and rear to my R32 GTR. The front calipers fitted with the V Spec 324mm rotors I have, but with the rear calipers, the rotor used (V Spec 300mm) are too small ie the brake pads are only half on the rotor. There is space in the caliper for a much larger diameter rotor. On searching the web I have found many comments that the Aug 2000 onwards R34 V spec used bigger rotors. Only on one entry though did they state the size - 322mm.

Can anyone confirm the 322mm rotor as a fact, and where I can get some from. The DBA catalogue only lists a maximum 300mm rear rotor for the Brembos.

thanks Mike

I have just fitted R34 V Spec Brembo calipers front and rear to my R32 GTR. The front calipers fitted with the V Spec 324mm rotors I have, but with the rear calipers, the rotor used (V Spec 300mm) are too small ie the brake pads are only half on the rotor. There is space in the caliper for a much larger diameter rotor. On searching the web I have found many comments that the Aug 2000 onwards R34 V spec used bigger rotors. Only on one entry though did they state the size - 322mm.

Can anyone confirm the 322mm rotor as a fact, and where I can get some from. The DBA catalogue only lists a maximum 300mm rear rotor for the Brembos.

thanks Mike

322mm rotor is a fact. Sorry don't know where you could find some other than Japan.

Thanks. Yes I have now ascertained the following for anyone else who is interested:

- The R34 Aug 2000 onwards GTR V Spec & Nur models, rear Brembo caliper and rotor is 322mm in size

- The OE 322mm rear rotor from Nissan is $1100 each!

- Brembo 322mm rotors are available for $400 the pair

- DBA do a 322mm rear rotor for the 350Z (DBA 4601) which is almost identical to the specs of the Skyline 322mm rotor, only difference being 0.5mm difference in original height - Skyline (63mm ht) and 350Z (62.5mm ht) $510 the pair

• 1 year later...

Thanks. Yes I have now ascertained the following for anyone else who is interested:

- The R34 Aug 2000 onwards GTR V Spec & Nur models, rear Brembo caliper and rotor is 322mm in size

- The OE 322mm rear rotor from Nissan is $1100 each!

- Brembo 322mm rotors are available for $400 the pair

- DBA do a 322mm rear rotor for the 350Z (DBA 4601) which is almost identical to the specs of the Skyline 322mm rotor, only difference being 0.5mm difference in original height - Skyline (63mm ht) and 350Z (62.5mm ht) $510 the pair

where can i buy the brembo 322mm rotors from $400 seems a bargain - i need to replace mine

where can i buy the brembo 322mm rotors from $400 seems a bargain - i need to replace mine

GSL RallySport - 1300 884 836, or PM me.

Brembo Std $238 for the pair

RDA Std $238 for the pair

RDA Slotted $309 for the pair

DBA 4000 Series Std $330 for the pair

DBA 4000 Series Slotted $490 for the pair

Project Mu CRD Slotted $519 for the pair

Project Mu SCR Slotted $875 for the pair

Brembo are in stock, RDA and DBA should be in stock, Project Mu you might need to allow a few weeks to order in.

Regards,

Greg

DBA do a 322mm rear rotor for the 350Z (DBA 4601) which is almost identical to the specs of the Skyline 322mm rotor, only difference being 0.5mm difference in original height - Skyline (63mm ht) and 350Z (62.5mm ht)

Correct! To the point where most manufacturers just round it up to 63mm in both cases:

322mm%20GTR%20Rear%20Listing.jpg

As discussed -

According to Project Mu there is clearly 1.5mm difference between hat sizes on the z33 rear and the r34 gtr 322mm rear rotors.

Like i said to you im not interested in buying something that will work, I want the one that was designed for my car and will centre correctly in the caliper

Project mu website

gtrrearrotors.jpg

Thanks

Jason

I just bought mine through the local brake place (Southwest Brakes Bunbury WA) in this case. They were in Brembo boxes.

Have worked fine

regards

Mike

As discussed -

According to Project Mu there is clearly 1.5mm difference between hat sizes on the z33 rear and the r34 gtr 322mm rear rotors.

Thanks

Jason

Project mu have a proper rotor in your size. Hatted, slotted, everything. Get those. For some unaccountable reason they dont make them in the right size for rears on the rest of the GTR range.

Descrizione

The PROJECT MU SCR-PRO Rotors - Rear Nissan Skyline GT-R BNR34 are designed specifically for high horsepower output vehicles. SCR-PRO rotors are constructed as a two-piece rotor design. SCR-PRO rotors are developed from super tough FC Cast Iron Material and are heat-treated for reliability, durability and thermal stability under aggressive driving. The affixed bell housing is made from a billet aluminum alloy for strength as well as reduction of unsprung weight. Project Mu SCR-PRO rotors are available as front and rear replacements including vehicles with the factory Brembo calipers. They are manufactured from the factory featuring a slotted and dimpled surface to facilitate better pad wear and maximize cooling and braking performance. SCR-PRO rotors also feature a specially designed internal vane to improve heat dissipation from the rotors.

Product Specs

Brand: PROJECT MU

Product: SCR-PRO Rotors - Rear Nissan Skyline GT-R BNR34

Part Num: GPRN012

FEATURES:

- Compatible for Vehicle inspection

- Special Heat Treatment

- Compatible with Circuit Use

- 8 Straight Slits

- Black Painting

- 2 Piece Structure

SPECIFICATIONS:

Application: Rear Brakes

Structure: 2 Pieces

Slits: Straight/Eight slits per side; sixteen on both sides

Materials:

- Disc: High-alloy high-carbon FC cast iron

- Bell Housing: Aluminum alloy

Dimensions (mm):

- O-D: 322

- Thickness: 22

- P.C.D.: 114.3

- Holes: 5

- Height: +2.2

- C.Bore: 68

PRODUCT NOTES:

- Project Mu Bell Housing are 2.0mm wider compare to Stock OEM. When mounted the wheels will have a 2.0mm offset.

COMPATIBILITY NOTES:

- BNR34 N1: Only vehicles before 8/00

- BNR34 Standard: Only vehicles after 8/00

Compatibility Info

Nissan Skyline GT-R BNR34 (Zenki - 1/99-8/00) Eng: RB26DETT

Nissan Skyline GT-R BNR34 (Chuki - 8/00-10/00) Eng: RB26DETT

Nissan Skyline GT-R BNR34 (Kouki - 10/00-8/02) Eng: RB26DETT

Having said all that I am not sure how they cope with wear from the handbrake. Some other types have a steel liner on the hat for that very reason.

Edited by djr81

The mounting face on the Project Mu Skyline rear rotors (both 300mm and 322mm) is 1mm thicker than it is on the Project Mu 350Z rear rotors, and so to compensate for this, the Project Mu rear rotors are made to 64mm to centralise. If you don't beleive me, have a look at SCRN008 (300mm rear), which is also 64mm according to Project Mu, but is 63mm according to both RDA and DBA, and indeed most other manufacturers. The manufacturers overall height will vary a mm or two in some cases due to their preferred thickness of the mounting face part of the rotor, in order to keep it in the middle of the caliper. The actual, real world, bolt-it-to-the-car-and-measure-the-difference-at-the-caliper is only 0.5mm...

Project mu have a proper rotor in your size. Hatted, slotted, everything. Get those. For some unaccountable reason they dont make them in the right size for rears on the rest of the GTR range.

They do, they make CRD and SCR to suit 300mm rear, but only 322mm rear gets the two piece SCR Pro.

The mounting face on the Project Mu Skyline rear rotors (both 300mm and 322mm) is 1mm thicker than it is on the Project Mu 350Z rear rotors, and so to compensate for this, the Project Mu rear rotors are made to 64mm to centralise. If you don't beleive me, have a look at SCRN008 (300mm rear), which is also 64mm according to Project Mu, but is 63mm according to both RDA and DBA, and indeed most other manufacturers. The manufacturers overall height will vary a mm or two in some cases due to their preferred thickness of the mounting face part of the rotor, in order to keep it in the middle of the caliper. The actual, real world, bolt-it-to-the-car-and-measure-the-difference-at-the-caliper is only 0.5mm...

Actually the 2mm thicker alloy hat on the front caught me out. I put them on then wondered where all my thread depth on the wheel studs went.

They do, they make CRD and SCR to suit 300mm rear, but only 322mm rear gets the two piece SCR Pro.

Yeah I have the SCR's on the rear of my car. They weigh a tonne & have more vanes the the SCR Pro's. NFI why they would do that. But they haven't cracked.

yeah I wish they made the SCR pro 2 piece in regular GTR brembo size for the rear as well. they are good rotors. other option is a biot kit which comes with bigger rotor, and new caliper mount bracket to space the caliper. they are a nice 3 piece rear rotor (rotor, hat, and inner bell for the handbrake). a bit on the $$$ side though.

• 8 years later...

Back from the dead! 
Can anyone tell me if late model R34 NON-V-Specs also had 322mm rear rotors, or were the 322s only on V-specs?  
Thanks!!

According to my list (which I have copied from a website and cannot verify as being 100%) 

The R32 GTR had 296mm rotors with Sumitomo calipers

The R32 GTR V Spec had 324mm with Brembos

but the  R33 and R34 GTRs had 324mm with Brembos on both base and V spec models.

1 hour ago, KiwiRS4T said:

According to my list (which I have copied from a website and cannot verify as being 100%) 

The R32 GTR had 296mm rotors with Sumitomo calipers

The R32 GTR V Spec had 324mm with Brembos

but the  R33 and R34 GTRs had 324mm with Brembos on both base and V spec models.

You're referencing front rotors :)

@adey was after the rears which comes in 3x different diameters 

Thanks guys! 

FWIW I've found 2 references on yahoo japan auctions of rear BNR34 discs -- not specified as V-spec discs -- that were 322mm in diameter.  That doesn't mean that the sellers didn't "forget" to include the word vspec, but it's 2 data points.

But, I'm pretty sure both the 300 and 322 rears were both vented rears...  the R32's 296s were probably vented, too...

So, the search continues...