SAU Community

Rocker Cover Gasket Replacement

WhitePrincess

Hi all, not sure if this has already been covered before or too easy to put up in this DIY section, but here it goes:

Replacing the rocker cover gaskets and "half moons". See the first photo. Part numbers are: 13270-58S01 and 13270-58S11. Cost: $86 for the lot from the local Nissan dealer.

gallery_24624_3493_7119.jpg

The procedure takes around 2 - 3 hours, depending on your abilities and tools I guess. For the job I needed just the usual set of tools, see the second photo. Handy tools to have is a decent size screwdriver and a "magnet tool" (haha, not too sure what's the proper name for it, but it's on the photo) that will save you dropping bolts down under the car...

gallery_24624_3493_233629.jpg

Step one: disconnect and remove the piping

gallery_24624_3493_104516.jpg

gallery_24624_3493_134026.jpg

Step two: remove the plastic cover

gallery_24624_3493_400624.jpg

Step three: unscrew 10 bolts that hold the rocker cover and take it out

gallery_24624_3493_13847.jpg

Step four: clean the rocker cover and where it used to be (as you can see mine was quite bad, leaking all over), also having a bit of petrol handy will help you clean all of the bolts and washers

gallery_24624_3493_429022.jpg

gallery_24624_3493_69933.jpg

Step five: put the new gasket into the rocker cover and don't forget the half moon (sorry no photo, the half moon is located on the firewall side of the engine)

gallery_24624_3493_16552.jpg

Step six: put it back in and tightn up all of the bolts

gallery_24624_3493_74259.jpg

Step seven: now do the same with the other rocker cover

gallery_24624_3493_208704.jpg

Once you done, plug all of the hoses and make sure everything is connected as it used to be.

Hope this helps to a few of you out there and makes your engine look a bit cleaner.

ps. I'm not a mechanic and not going to be - don't worry about correcting my terminology :)

^^ Get over it. We all know what he meant, even mentioned in the last paragraph he doesnt care.

If you want to get technical it could be "Cam Covers".

I also think maybe a little gasket goo around the half moon areas. I noticed that there was a teeny bit in those areas from factory. And what do you know? I cleaned it off and it now leaks haha. Who knows tho, you could be lucky! Im sick of removing mine (changed the colour a couple times etc) and only had the issue the last time :ninja:

I've been quoted $280 by my regular skyline mechanic to do this and he hasn't returned my call in more than 2 weeks so I'm thinking ..f**k him, I might just do this myself as it doesn't look that hard at all. Does anyone know what exact torque to use on the rocker cover bolts and which order do you tighten the bolts in when putting the covers back on? Oh yeah, referring to an rb25det NEO (r34 gtt)

The only thing that worries me about doing this is shit like dirt, bugs or lint falling into my engine or intake ..that could end up disastrous.

This is a great, clear tutorial, and I really think you've done a great job here mate.

I wish I saw this when I bought my liner, she was leaking very badly from one of those gaskets... and now I know how easy it is.

Again, thanks.

@Denis,

Yeah, you should be careful of those kinds of things. Get some clean towels or some plastic tarp or similar and plug up your intake pipes etc so leaves and dirt don't get in. Be sure that whatever you use is clean and isn't gonna put a heap of crap in there by itself. I always get quite worried about it.

very nice tut man, just one question, how did you get to the 2 screws i have marked on the image, i was doing my plugs today, and at a glance, i cant see how a screw driver could fit down into those gaps?

post-40562-1256366124_thumb.jpg

very nice tut man, just one question, how did you get to the 2 screws i have marked on the image, i was doing my plugs today, and at a glance, i cant see how a screw driver could fit down into those gaps?

post-40562-1256366124_thumb.jpg

Hey mate, in regards to the pic, the one under the Throttle body i just take the throttle body off. Makes it easier.

And the other one, a screwdriver fits. I never had problems with it. But do it in conjunction with a magnet stick :P Makes life easier later.

guys, thanks for all your feedback, it's great! a few things to note:

1. IMPORTANT - silicone on the half moons are a must, mine was leaking pretty bad without it - had to spend another couple of hours just to put the bloody silicone.. i wish i knew that before :( whoops

2. @Rush_ : the screw under the throttle body is actually quite easy, definitely no need to take the throttle body off, i used a small ratchet with small extension head/converter and 8mm socket - fitted just nicely (hope this makes sense, if doesn't let me know and i'll take a photo). as per any other screw i used the big-ass screwdriver as per my photo #2

good luck everyone!

these rubbers dont usually crack, but get hard with age and no longer provide a good seal.

the screw under the throttle body is actually the only one with a socket head to make it a bit easier with swivel extensions etc

gaskets are the same across the RB range - 20-25-26

Hey mate, in regards to the pic, the one under the Throttle body i just take the throttle body off. Makes it easier.

And the other one, a screwdriver fits. I never had problems with it. But do it in conjunction with a magnet stick ;) Makes life easier later.

guys, thanks for all your feedback, it's great! a few things to note:

1. IMPORTANT - silicone on the half moons are a must, mine was leaking pretty bad without it - had to spend another couple of hours just to put the bloody silicone.. i wish i knew that before :banana: whoops

2. @Rush_ : the screw under the throttle body is actually quite easy, definitely no need to take the throttle body off, i used a small ratchet with small extension head/converter and 8mm socket - fitted just nicely (hope this makes sense, if doesn't let me know and i'll take a photo). as per any other screw i used the big-ass screwdriver as per my photo #2

good luck everyone!

these rubbers dont usually crack, but get hard with age and no longer provide a good seal.

the screw under the throttle body is actually the only one with a socket head to make it a bit easier with swivel extensions etc

gaskets are the same across the RB range - 20-25-26

Thanks for the replies, Ill post up after i get around to doing these to note how it went.

One more question, what kind of silicone was used on the seals, where can you get it/price etc..