SAU Community

Why do people hate the R33?

I'm not much of a fan of the 33's and the 34's as I think they both look like whales (33 looks like a dugong - docile and tame where as the 34 looks like a killer whale - aggressive).

The 32 cluster is ingenious! having the dials and switches (bar the indicators) on the console is truely a work of a genius. Sure it may look dated compared to the 33 and the 34 but 10 years of refinement does that.

32 has the best looking tailend of the family.

Each to his own, Whatever car you own 99% of the time you will say is the best and not like the rest.

To say theres as many commonwhores as there is R33 is totally bllshit, the ratio of commodores to R33 GTSt's would be somewhere around 1000:1

and the ratio of commonwhores to R33 GTRs 10,000:1

Its just simply the fact that we notice ALL the skylines we see, we dont notice all the commonwhores we see cos there freakin everywhere!

To say the styling is similar to commodores is a joke too, i drive my dads VT a fair bit and it feels like a truck when i do, such a quite, high off the ground ***** ride, no power just 3.8L and no power. Commodores look nothing like skylines, and they never will.

Alot of s13s really piss me off, one yesterday it was purple, Qs!, with 3 like wogs/lebs in it and some hot blonde driving around like maniacs thinking there the don supreme of import owners. People like that ruin it for everyone.

Skylines will always beat all local cars, I, and 2 of my friends have beated SS utes and sedans and almost all of holdens range, aswell as ford, and most times when we were stock.

Holden Add: (what they do tell you) The new SS, now more powerful than ever, with a whopping 250kw"

(what they dont tell you) "The bastard weighs 1800kg" You want speed, Power to Weight is how it works. Holden is a thing of the past, if they dont bring out something new soon they will drift away. ALL their cars look extremely similar, the last 10years of commodore look the same, they change one little thing and make a new model out of it, they have 10 diff names to make ppl think there different.. IE Calais, Executive, Acclaim ETC Even look at the astras and vectra they look like little commodores. Its a joke. i cant beleive people are getting paid to design the same cars over and over.

Its not just that either, Holden are slacking in the Engine department. They are owned by GM, the largest automotive producer in the world. And all they can do to make more power is add more displacement each time? Pfff

Atleast ford has released the XR6 turbo, and i commend them for that, look how well it going! Now holden needs to do the same, stop making massive blocks and release the gain turbo has to offer. Beleive it or not, but turbo/forced air induction is the future, massive displacement is the past.

;)

well nissan japan themselves admitted they had dropped the ball on the R33, so that's something.

Personally I htink R33's are great cars underneath all that metal, but the styling personally is too curved, its not aggressive enough. However most bodykits you get for R33's fix that. The stock S2 styling of the R33 should be a fair enough indication of the backlash that nissan got in japan to the then new model skyline.

Also having driven and R32, an R33, and R34, I don't feel like I have as much control in the R33 than int he other cars. For example, I'd gladly throw an R32 or 34 around a corner at a higher than reccomended speed, because the physics of the car make it very controllable, you can pull it back in. In an R33 the weight seems to be in a different area of the car, which makes its physics completely different to the other two and I don't feel as safe throwing it into a corner.

Just a couple of reasons why I'd prefer an R32 or R34 over an R33. Its not coz its the popular thing to say, hell more than 75% of the guys I know with skylines drive R33's. Its more personal taste. There are people who like curves on a sports car, and there's people that like the aggresive look.

I don't hate them, but there are just too many of them around. there are 3 R33's in my work place, and mine is the only R32.

i can cruise home and pass 6 or 7 R33's, but no R32's. I just prefer the shape of the R32. the R33 just looks like too much of a boat. the shape is horrible without the right bodykit.

Hey I wasnt saying my S13 is any better either.. the model is just as guilty of being packed full of kids.

Feel free to bag the shit out of the series, particularly the q's drivers. Fact of the matter is though I havent been beaten by a GTST yet.. and theres a LOT more r33's in my area than silvias. So you could say my car is 'hated' a lot more than r33s ;)

And the interior? last r33 I drove didnt have digital climate control and HUD that where not aftermarket? Whatever :D

Agreed, when I do come across another Silvia driver its usually a Q's owner and any non sr20det silvia is not even worth a mention, so keep your pants on! :)

R33's.. the guy down my street has one, theres two parked in the driveway up my street.. theres always 5 or 6 at the shopping center.. and they ALL drive like dickheads! and not just while i'm driving my car either.

My car was getting some work done to it for a week so I borrowed my friends grocery getter for the week.. they all hoon past you and tail gate you because your in a slow car that cant accelerate very quickly :)

Of course you guys dont do that do you?

And from where I'm from the guys hang their arm all the way out the window and down the door!! - its all perspective. But yes, my little debadged silvia sleeper is going to be sold soon to be replaced with a GTR or a R34 GTT. So you can call me a hypocrite.. heh.

33 is great in every single respect.. handling, interior, room, one of the worlds best engines, and great price for what you get.

Those who say "too common" are kidding themselves.. who friggin cares! i see pretty much every flavour of skyline on a daily basis (except prolly a 34GTR but i see enough), they all bore me a bit to be honest these days - but i like them because they're a great car (reliable, fast, fairly quiet inside, nice seats, all options, etc, etc). And people who see a 32 and i point them out will often go "oh those are skylines too? they look old and dated"..so that can be the perception out there by joe public.

and whoever reckons 33 are ugly is full of shit, because just about everybody comments on how they like it.. and girls like curves.. other than other silly skyline owners ;) but you have to individualise them.

good point there ronin.. price performance i reckon. if the 34 were low 20's i guess then everybody would be driving them. I guess they would have been in about 12 months except for the changes in import laws wrecking everything

i will answer the question with another question - if everyone hates the R33, why it it the most populated of the 3 R32, R33 and R34?

:confused:

Coz its more updated than an R32 (i'd take an r33's interior over mine anyday) and cheaper than an R34.

I find it interestign that at the end of the day whether you like an r33 or 32 or whatever or even if you prefer a s13 that you would say that you hate other performance cars and bag them... to me, I love my R33 but as stated its just taste, at the end of the day Im a fan of all performance cars cos to me they all represent something I like.

I guess what Im trying to say is, you could be a r33 owner today and an s15 owner tomorrow - the common denominator is that you love performance cars, so why say you HATE this or that?

just my 2 cents.

Well, I love my R33 - have driven a R34 and still love going back to my 33. Must admit, I'm 6'4" and got it mostly cos' I can fit! Would've loved a R32 but too narrow and short for me!

And in regards to arms on window sills, as long as you elbow isn't above sholder height I think it's ok! (I know what you all mean about it looking and feeling awkward...) Being my height helps that a little bit!!!

I guess cos' I first drove a 33 and never a 32 I've gotten used to the 33's handling characteristics from the start and personally think it handles unbelievably! Then again, I was previously going sideways in a Z31 and before that a Nissan Patrol (don't ask, great fun though!)

true... as much as I'd bag r33's for being whales, watching leewah 701hp r33 gtr on a dyno still makes my hair rise n want one of those. its all about the performance. The dispute between the 32s n 33's is sorta like sibling rivalry... metaphorically speaking you know if sum1 outside the family interfered they'd both open their respective cans of whoopass.

i prefer how my r33 looks to the r32 easily

i love how my car looks in general

id take an r34 over it though, just to get a newer car, the only thing that bothers me about my car is its age (93)

it really depends on teh car too i think, some r33's look great, some dont

same goes for all the other skylines

I prefer the look of the 33 to the others, except for maybe an R34 GTR with all the kit.

I'm actually glad so many people don't like the look of the 33, it makes me realise my choice of car wasn't dictated at all by popular opinion.

I really like 32's but all the ones I saw had too many k's on them (for me) and 34's are too expensive...

What's left? a 33..?

f**k yeah who cares if its a whale it's manual, it goes hard, it has the four beautiful tail lights and an RB engine...nuff said