SAU Community

Why do people hate the R33?

[/font]

pentae, i see a shite load of "kids" in s13's too, but that doesnt stop me from liking them any less.

There are way too many S13's around, most of them are bloody Q's (non-turbo's) too. But hey, I drive an S13 (SR20det) so who am I to complain?

a lot of ppl .. mostly silvia owners (not all) hate the R33s ..  

i dont know why but they do..

I love the look of a R33 with nice wheels and kit, much better than any Commonwhore or Falcoon. A lot of S13 drivers bag R33's because most people believe a R33 is faster, but when both cars are lightly modded (exhaust, filter, bit more boost) the S13 usually (not always!) will win and a lot of S13 drivers want to prove this maybe to make themselves feel better about thier cheaper car?

Sure, a stock Silvia looks very average. But when dumped on big wheels and a nice kit, they can look awesome!

• 14 years later...

That Falcoon was abit too far in my opinion, i did find it offensive so maybe keep in mind about others, on that note i just bought a r33 gtst and waiting for delivery, I have never driven or went for a ride in a skyline before, I took my time in looking and reading about the 32,33,34 gtsts and gtrs, I went in favor of the 33 gtst, and that wasnt based on price, it looks great, every motor has its pros and cons and will also add that its not a boat or a whale like or sized car, my first car was a 86 Ford Fairlane ZK, they are what you call boats and whales.

Will also add that having a curvy style car is a good thing as it has better aerodynamics hence why we have curved aeroplanes and not box shapped ones, and it not looking aggressive is also a good thing as theres a much reduced chance of getting pulled over by a cop in a bad mood

Jesus. Who the f keeps digging these up. This is like the fourth thread over ten years old to have been dug up in the last couple of weeks. 

Not everyone hates the 33, it's just less popular as the forgotten middle child of the 32,33,34 set.

Me? Yeah, i have a thing for the middle child. But i'm weird so ... ?

Edited by Steve85

34 minutes ago, GTofuS-T said:

Shhhhhhh... stop telling people how good R33's are... need to keep them cheap so i can replace mine when I bin it at the track ;)

R33 GTRs are my favourite.

I own both a R33 and R34 GTR and must admit I drive the R33 more often. Am planning on getting a good R32 GTR when there’s enough money in the piggy but never liked the R35. 

• 3 weeks later...

The R33 GT-R has by far aged the best out of the lot, so long as its in immaculate condition. It is a true headturner, photos do not do the car justice as it just has a mystical presence in real life.

The chassis is by  far the most superior out of the lot. These sentiments are echoed by the likes of Akira Lida (GT500/ Le Mans driver), Midori Seibi's son etc. We all know the R34 was watered down to make it 'less brutal at the limit', even Mr Okabe admitted that. Why do you think Nissan never clocked an official lap time at the Nurburgring? Because the R33 was faster, LOL!!!!!! 

BCNR33 owners, hold on lads, the americans will quickly learn our chassis is the ultimate, we are sitting on goldmines so strap yourselves in lads!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BakemonoRicer said:

The R33 GT-R has by far aged the best out of the lot, so long as its in immaculate condition. It is a true headturner, photos do not do the car justice as it just has a mystical presence in real life.

The chassis is by  far the most superior out of the lot. These sentiments are echoed by the likes of Akira Lida (GT500/ Le Mans driver), Midori Seibi's son etc. We all know the R34 was watered down to make it 'less brutal at the limit', even Mr Okabe admitted that. Why do you think Nissan never clocked an official lap time at the Nurburgring? Because the R33 was faster, LOL!!!!!! 

BCNR33 owners, hold on lads, the americans will quickly learn our chassis is the ultimate, we are sitting on goldmines so strap yourselves in lads!

Awesome!!

But just so unattractive to look at.  Too tall in the rear half of the front guards.  Too long in the side panel behind the door/in front of the rear wheel.  Too Magna in the front, too Maxima in the rear.  Too stupid with the rear guards coming up higher than the boot lid - made it look heavy and slab sided when it didn't have to be.  Look at all the other R chassis GTRs (with the exception of the mid 70s where they also lost the plot a little bit) and see that every other Skyline GTR has followed the silhouette cast by the first Mustangs. 

IMHO, even the R31 coupe looks better than the R33.  It looks light and tight, not fat and odd.

I don't mind R33 lovers loving R33s.  But there are real reasons why the rest of us prefer the other cars.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

But just so unattractive to look at.  Too tall in the rear half of the front guards.  Too long in the side panel behind the door/in front of the rear wheel.  Too Magna in the front, too Maxima in the rear.  Too stupid with the rear guards coming up higher than the boot lid - made it look heavy and slab sided when it didn't have to be.  Look at all the other R chassis GTRs (with the exception of the mid 70s where they also lost the plot a little bit) and see that every other Skyline GTR has followed the silhouette cast by the first Mustangs. 

IMHO, even the R31 coupe looks better than the R33.  It looks light and tight, not fat and odd.

I don't mind R33 lovers loving R33s.  But there are real reasons why the rest of us prefer the other cars.

I own both the R33 & R34 GTR has must say the R33 GTR is my favourite looks tougher in all aspects and love the curves.

Allow me to be clear...I’m referring to GTR only - the R33 GTS’s look ugly I’m sorry.

Edited by Robocop2310
  • Like 1

GTSBoy, I completely disagree with you. Plenty of consensus on GTR.co.uk that the BCNR33 is the most popular to the 'general public'. The R33 GTR is the ultimate out of all the Skylines, and I've been in all of them from light to heavily modified.

Plus, americans like a car with road presence and the R33 has that. It's the widest and baddest. 

6 hours ago, BakemonoRicer said:

Plus, americans like a car with road presence and the R33 has that. It's the widest and baddest. 

That's one of the main reasons why it looks like a fat cow.  It's not just wide.  It's too tall - both at the base of the windscreen and also in the rear quarters.  It looks bulky and without any design tension.  Just looks like it's been inflated.  With lard.

I think you get too carried away with how much better the the R33 GTR is over all the others.  Nobody really gives a stuff if a stock 33 was 30 seconds (pick a number, I certainly don't care) faster around the 'ring than a 34 was.  Absolutely anything to do with performance is subject to modification.  Anybody who really cares about how hard you can drive a GTR is perfectly willing to modify it.

What you cannot do is change the fact that the R32 has a sweet profile, the R34 has a sharper edged version of that sweet profile, and the R33 just has so many wrong design elements that it is totally unappealing to look at, in the opinion of a significant fraction of people who care.  Including me.

Now, some guys like fuc[ing fat women.  That's fine, as long as I don't have to watch.  I feel somewhat the same about R33s.  When it comes to non-GTRs, the only that that R33s are good for is brake and engine donors for R32s and Silvias.  When it comes to GTRs, I'd probably rather a deal where I get one nice R32 than 2 nice R33s (assuming I'm not allowed to then sell for profit/disposal).  I'd certainly take 1 R34 over 2 R33s.

Oh.  And the tailights.  They're wrong too.

• Like 1