Charles89

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey man

When you wrap pillars or spoilers or just outside/exterior bits like that. Are you able to put a clear coat over it? I wouldn't like too much gloss on the interior but for the exterior wouldnt clear coat help with protection and give it a nice shiny look :(

Lukas

I'm thinking of getting my b-pillars and mirrors (see above post) done... current thought is just to get a couple of coats of 2pack clear... will make it quite glossy and protect it from the elements... as well as make it easier to clean, etc.

bought some of this off ebay and gave it a go... was not going to well so i went and bought myself a heat gun from bunnings for $39 and it made it 100% better and easier to install :(

with a bit of heat and practise im not pretty good at it and can do some pretty complex curves!!!

will post up some pics soon of my achievements

I'm thinking of getting my b-pillars and mirrors (see above post) done... current thought is just to get a couple of coats of 2pack clear... will make it quite glossy and protect it from the elements... as well as make it easier to clean, etc.

Yeh that was sort of what I was thinking :) How much you think a paint place would charge to give it a couple of sprays?

Also how do you think wrapping a steering wheel would turn out? I have a stock non airbag series 1 r33 wheel and holy shit is it worn down and hideous. Kind of need a change of scenery.

Finally got around to uploading some photos – sorry Charles my bad been rather slack! Ha All done and over the moon with it just need to get the 2 gauges done n all will be sweet!

11v5x1l.jpg

59zns8.jpg

I've had a bit of a play doing my R34 manual gear surround, and running into dramas on trying to do the lighter area - where it curves into it so severely. I don't really wanna waste more vinyl on trying again before posing a question out there on tips/suggestions.

Whilst I can't see whether you've done it well on the lighter surround - do you have any tips Volk34? Charles89?

Thanks in advance.

Jenna

I've had a bit of a play doing my R34 manual gear surround, and running into dramas on trying to do the lighter area - where it curves into it so severely. I don't really wanna waste more vinyl on trying again before posing a question out there on tips/suggestions.

Whilst I can't see whether you've done it well on the lighter surround - do you have any tips Volk34? Charles89?

Thanks in advance.

Jenna

PM Sent :)

Hey Charles

Whats your opinion on clear coating the exterior vinyl with some coats of 2 pack for a nice protective and glossy finish?

AND

How do you think you would go with covering a steering wheel?

Cheers man

Lukas

Hey Charles

Whats your opinion on clear coating the exterior vinyl with some coats of 2 pack for a nice protective and glossy finish?

AND

How do you think you would go with covering a steering wheel?

Cheers man

Lukas

Well, I've asked a panel beater to clear coat my B pillars for me, but I just haven't had time to do it yet. But I think it will work and make it glossy, but you will definitely lose some of the CF texture from certain angles. But honestly, the vinyl itself can withstand all sorts of elements, I wrapped my B pillars a few months ago and its never garaged, been through 40+ degrees days and all sorts of storms and rain. And after a quick wipe, it looks just like how it looked on day one :down:

As for steering wheel, I'm actually not sure how you'd wrap one, but I'll have a look at mine tomorrow and get back to you lol.

Well, I've asked a panel beater to clear coat my B pillars for me, but I just haven't had time to do it yet. But I think it will work and make it glossy, but you will definitely lose some of the CF texture from certain angles. But honestly, the vinyl itself can withstand all sorts of elements, I wrapped my B pillars a few months ago and its never garaged, been through 40+ degrees days and all sorts of storms and rain. And after a quick wipe, it looks just like how it looked on day one :cool:

As for steering wheel, I'm actually not sure how you'd wrap one, but I'll have a look at mine tomorrow and get back to you lol.

Yeh well I am considering a respray and was thinking of getting my mirrors, b pillars, centre wing blade (not sure yet) wrapped and then glossed up to match the rest of the cars new found shine. I have no doubt it will last I was just thinking the shine will match the shine :down: Yeh I was thinking a steering wheel would be stupidly hard :D

Now ive read through this damn thread I want to carbon everything. You are an evil man

Just to let you guys know, we are working on getting in REAL carbon fibre sheeting with a clear polymer for stability and a genuine 3M adhesive backing. More details to come elsewhere (don't want to hijack). :rofl:

Charles we will contact you once we get some in and maybe strike up a deal to compare it with the current stuff you are using.

Do NOT clear coat! I tried it on a piece of this vinyl and it lost almost all of the CF texture. Looked almost like electrical tape afterwards :)

Yeah, I've tried a really thin clear coat and it doesn't look that nice, it does lose a bit of the texture in certain lights.

has anybody had peeling problems?

i wraped my stereo surround sunday night parked my car at work in the sun yesterday and it started peeling

Yes, peeling can be a problem. But solutions to that is:

- Don't stretch the material too much

- Clean the surface of the part properly

- Use adhesion promotor if needed

Charles89,

Did you say you had this stuff for sale by the metre?

I'm keen on a few metres if available!

Cheers,

Andy

PM Sent

Just to let you guys know, we are working on getting in REAL carbon fibre sheeting with a clear polymer for stability and a genuine 3M adhesive backing. More details to come elsewhere (don't want to hijack). :)

Charles we will contact you once we get some in and maybe strike up a deal to compare it with the current stuff you are using.

Sounds cool :D

But how would that stuff go in wrapping some really difficult curves? Because you wouldn't be able to stretch it right?

Anyway, I'll be interested to see and try it out ;)

Lemme know when you need me haha.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, you have inspired me to start on my own gtt as well... so a couple of questions: :D

- Did you sand off the top layer (that sticky stuff :spank: ) of the R34 center console, or did you put the vinyl directly on top (without preparation of the plastic)?

- Does this vinyl work the same way as tinting your windows?

- Could you write a very simple DIY in like 4 steps (apply, heat, wrub out airbubbles?)

Thnx!

First off, you have inspired me to start on my own gtt as well... so a couple of questions: :nyaanyaa:

- Did you sand off the top layer (that sticky stuff :nyaanyaa: ) of the R34 center console, or did you put the vinyl directly on top (without preparation of the plastic)?

- Does this vinyl work the same way as tinting your windows?

- Could you write a very simple DIY in like 4 steps (apply, heat, wrub out airbubbles?)

Thnx!

Sorry for the late reply.

- Its not a must, to sand back the factory paint, because the vinyl can still stick onto it quite well. But it will stick even better when it's been sanded back.

- Dont know about window tinting, but it's pretty much just apply it straight onto the part and use heat to stretch it to fit.

- Maybe when I have more time in my hands, then I'll write a DIY.

I've been covering some dash parts in this stuff and got to say it is amazing! Was wondering if it was possible to cover entire rear spoiler in it? My biggest consern is how the seams would be.

Pic of the spoiler: http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=5884439.jpg

I think something like that spoiler will be impossible to wrap in one piece, so I think the top will be one, the front and back will be one each and the bottom will be one.

And all the seams will definitely won't match. But I reckon that people won't notice it unless you go real close to it.