SAU Community

Carbon Fibre Vinyl Wrap

Charles89

arggh after taking a closer look at my interior parts today in decent sunlight, honestly im not too happy with how they turned out. sure they look good from a distance but personally im more fussy than that.

my advice to anyone doing this, if your that desperate for carbon just get the real thing, which is what im planning on doing now.

too much $$$ down the drain :)

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

arggh after taking a closer look at my interior parts today in decent sunlight, honestly im not too happy with how they turned out. sure they look good from a distance but personally im more fussy than that.

my advice to anyone doing this, if your that desperate for carbon just get the real thing, which is what im planning on doing now.

too much $$$ down the drain :(

and it looks like you've covered your parts in a pin stripe suit material... which will wrinkle with age and will look cheap and tacky..

Doesnt look like any carbon fibre Ive ever seen, CF usually has a clear coating doesnt it...?

too much $$$ down the drain :cool:

When you say you aren't too happy with how it turned out, do you mean the vinyl itself? or the way I wrapped it?

Because if it's the way I wrapped it, then I'm sorry, I'm not Jesus, I can't turn water into wine, this is what you gave me to start with.

Also the price I charged you for was the price that I'd charge for NORMAL interior parts, not interior parts that's been sprayed and stripped back 5-10 times.

BEFORE

img0153xw.jpg

img0152iz.jpg

img0151hr.jpg

img0150v.jpg

img0149fc.jpg

img0148mv.jpg

AFTER

img0073c.jpg

img0072ka.jpg

img0071lw.jpg

img0070rc.jpg

img0069p.jpg

img0068mz.jpg

img0067zr.jpg

img0066f.jpg

img0065az.jpg

img0064tb.jpg

I need my dash plastic wrapped, when can you do this?

PM Sent

and it looks like you've covered your parts in a pin stripe suit material... which will wrinkle with age and will look cheap and tacky..

Doesnt look like any carbon fibre Ive ever seen, CF usually has a clear coating doesnt it...?

You just love to have a crack at the vinyl every chance you get, don't you?

How do you even know the vinyl will "wrinkle with age"? When you haven't even given it a try? Because all you have done in the thread is saying how shit this is and how shit it looks.

Remember a few months ago how you said this 3M vinyl will fade in the sun? Well my B-pillars are still on my car and it still looks the same as it did the first day.

As for it doesn't look like any CF that you've seen, of course not, because this isn't real CF, it's a vinyl. CF usually has a clear coat because it's got resin over the top.

And vinyl doesn't need any resin on top to make it stay, and FYI, the vinyl is called dry carbon... so it's got a DRY look, not the WET "clear coat" look.

Yep I think its crap... because Ive seen what this type of stuff turns out like... and what happens to it down the track...

I've played with different vinyl products for years and I know what works and what happens after its been used a while, how do I know? because Ive worked for companies who have done extensive weather, UV and solvent testing on an array of vinyl products.

To tell people its fantastic and that it is the best stuff is simply an opinion, my opinion is that its crap.

Im simply not happy with things that are second or third rate being called awesome...

This is a cosmetics section for car enthusiasts, if you want to make money of them then go for it, but people should really be told what the down sides of this type of product are.

too much $$$ down the drain :cool:

Yep I think its crap... because Ive seen what this type of stuff turns out like... and what happens to it down the track...

I've played with different vinyl products for years and I know what works and what happens after its been used a while, how do I know? because Ive worked for companies who have done extensive weather, UV and solvent testing on an array of vinyl products.

To tell people its fantastic and that it is the best stuff is simply an opinion, my opinion is that its crap.

Im simply not happy with things that are second or third rate being called awesome...

This is a cosmetics section for car enthusiasts, if you want to make money of them then go for it, but people should really be told what the down sides of this type of product are.

No Offence Guys I Honestly Think You Both Need To Chill, Charles Does An Awsome Job! And if you don't like it well thats, to bed cause in my oppinion it looks a lot better then wat you gave him "r-sepc"

When you say you aren't too happy with how it turned out, do you mean the vinyl itself? or the way I wrapped it?

Because if it's the way I wrapped it, then I'm sorry, I'm not Jesus, I can't turn water into wine, this is what you gave me to start with.

Also the price I charged you for was the price that I'd charge for NORMAL interior parts, not interior parts that's been sprayed and stripped back 5-10 times.

lol well i didnt mention names in my first post for your favour mate but oh well..

to be honest i was expecting better workmanship, as i said it looks great in pics and for someone who doesnt pay attention to detail but thats just not me.

i had to pull out the parts and cut out all the excess vinyl to make my 1) ashtray lid close/open 2) a/c unit glass fit on and 3) make the a/c knob turn freely...

theres also a small bit on the gear surround thats wrinkled. first thing my brother pointed out to me was the dodgy trimming where the blue/red arrow thingys are around the a/c knob...

and why would you have charged me more anyway? it makes NO difference how many times they've been painted/stripped as your wrapping over them not painting them...

anyways though i do appreciate your efforts :cool:

lol well i didnt mention names in my first post for your favour mate but oh well..

to be honest i was expecting better workmanship, as i said it looks great in pics and for someone who doesnt pay attention to detail but thats just not me.

i had to pull out the parts and cut out all the excess vinyl to make my 1) ashtray lid close/open 2) a/c unit glass fit on and 3) make the a/c knob turn freely...

theres also a small bit on the gear surround thats wrinkled. first thing my brother pointed out to me was the dodgy trimming where the blue/red arrow thingys are around the a/c knob...

and why would you have charged me more anyway? it makes NO difference how many times they've been painted/stripped as your wrapping over them not painting them...

anyways though i do appreciate your efforts :cool:

Well lemme give you my explaination.

As for cutting out excess bits....

1. You gave me a broken ashtray lid (with the corner broken), I had to superglue it back for you, and reasons for the excess bits, is because you didn't give me the other half of the ashtray, so I can't physically test it for you.

2. Your climate control unit's plastic screen has been cracked, also has been superglued it back onto the unit so many times that there was like a 2mm coat of superglue on the back of the screen, as well as the unit itself, where the screen would sit, has been painted and stripped a few times, and when it's been stripped, it wasn't done properly in the corners, so the excess paint and residue has caused the screen to not fit (as you can see in the pics).

3. Your climate control knob...do I really need to say? The knob itself has been painted, and where the knob sits has been painted too, so.... paint + paint + vinyl, of course it wouldn't turn as free as it can.

4. "Dodgy trimming"? Maybe because when I got the climate control unit, the holes where the blue and red bits has been damaged by painting and stripping it, so it was cracked and chipped. How can you expect a clean cut when I have to run my knife along the cracked and chipped edge. I wrap parts man, not repair them.

Lastly.... "why would you have charged me more anyway? it makes NO difference how many times they've been painted/stripped as your wrapping over them not painting them... "

Come on man.... Have a think about it....

If I have to spend EXTRA TIME on repairing and touching up your parts, why wouldn't I charge you more?

When you first ask for a quote, you never told me your interior parts were in that condition. So I gave you a quote thinking your parts were NORMAL, like how it would be coming out of factory. Then later you send me ONE picture of your AC Vent, saying how you stuffed up stripping the paint back, but I thought it's only one part, I'll give it a go for you.

But when we met up, it turned out ALL your parts are like that. Even then, at the end, I did not charge you extra.

Honestly, I thought I was doing you a favour, but if you had shown me what your interior looked like, I woulda just said no.

Not to mention that during when we met (before and after), you keep trying to talk the price down so many times....

You know what, I can't even be bothered arguing with you, it's always gonna come back to your opinion is this and that, obviously, you know it all.

I enjoy wrapping parts for people and they like what they see, to me, that's all it matters, not your opinion :cool:

No Offence Guys I Honestly Think You Both Need To Chill, Charles Does An Awsome Job! And if you don't like it well thats, to bed cause in my oppinion it looks a lot better then wat you gave him "r-sepc"

Cheers man, at least someone understands.

I'm on your side, Charles. You do what you do very well, and if those two dickheads dont agree, who gives a f**k? I've never seen 75coupe make a positive comment, and R-Spec is just pissed cos you didnt magically fix his interior, as he's obviously a tight c*nt.

I'm on your side, Charles. You do what you do very well, and if those two dickheads dont agree, who gives a f**k? I've never seen 75coupe make a positive comment, and R-Spec is just pissed cos you didnt magically fix his interior, as he's obviously a tight c*nt.

Thanks for the kind words Rhys :blush:

It's good to see that someone do actually appreciate my work :yes:

hey, Im sure charles does quite a good job at what he does, its the product I have my issue with...

Charles offers a service to save you money. I personally know how much Charles charges to do the interior and i think its a good rate. I bet you cant find anything similar for his prices.

For instance a carbon cover for your rear view mirror which would be a fibreglass copy $150 on ebay. Charles im sure could wrap that item for you for less than $50.

Theres a old saying in regards to those interior parts above "You can't polish a turd!" :yes: but even by saying that Charles's end result was pretty good.

At the end of the day it's your choice & if your not sure on something get something small done, if it turns out well, expand!

Anyways keep up the good work Charles. Let me know how your bonnet turns out! :blush:

this is actually true..

i owe Charles an apology :D

however i stick by most of what i said but i guess i was in no position to be that picky about it.

no hard feelings :banana:

DRFT31 - a friend of mine got the whole carbon centre console for his s15 for $150 off jap yahoo auctions, shouldnt imagine r34 parts would be that much more expensive but probably just pretty hard to find.

did my end caps in this wrap stuff a little dodgy around the bolt hole but meh im not too fussed

Looks good, if I still have my R33, I woulda done the same :D

But my suggestion for those pieces will be, just grab a sharp knife and cut around the inside of the holes, because trying to fold the vinyl in will always look dodge, as it can never be able to cover the whole hole. :blush: