SAU Community

Carbon Fibre Vinyl Wrap

Charles89

whats the best way to do a join, for a bonnet, my R33 bonnet is too big and would need to pieces, any hint or tips, DRIFTT, wanna do my bonnet for a carton of corona???

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

whats the best way to do a join, for a bonnet, my R33 bonnet is too big and would need to pieces, any hint or tips, DRIFTT, wanna do my bonnet for a carton of corona???

Lay one in a straight line then place second one next to it............ Not as simple as that but other things like temp come into account.

F#&K that and it is better with 2 or 3 people and if that cheap shit I would not look at doing any job with it.

Edited by DRIFTT

Lay one in a straight line then place second one next to it............ Not as simple as that but other things like temp come into account.

F#&K that and it is better with 2 or 3 people and if that cheap shit I would not look at doing any job with it.

i saw u replied in that for sale thread of his. thought it was too cheap to be true,

Here's some pics of a 300ZX roof I did tonight:

img0100lh.jpg

img0099l.jpg

img0098pt.jpg

Charles I'm waiting for you to do a full gainer on the whole car, excellent work on the Z.

Edited by rocklee

Charles I'm waiting for you to do a full gainer on the whole car, excellent work on the Z.

Haha thanks :P but a whole will never happen :)

looks ok

Looks ok only in certain angles, at other angles, the coated just looks like gloss black.

DRIFTT im very keen to see the end result of the dash. Mind showing some pics?

If the commodore one you are taking about the guy is on holidays so back next week and I will get some images off him

hey just wondering what this stuff is like to use? is it similar to an avery 700 series or thicker like a reflective media? and how long is it rated (3yrs) ?

hey just wondering what this stuff is like to use? is it similar to an avery 700 series or thicker like a reflective media? and how long is it rated (3yrs) ?

This vinyl will go soft when heated, so you can work it around corners and stuff.

3M gurantees 4yrs lifespan outdoor with UV protection

It is nothing like normal cast vinyl but if you have used it a fair bit or done vehicle wraps it helps.

will this stuff loosen on hot days?

say you heated it to strech around something, if it gets hot one day will it come loose?

If you have curves and the correct primer isn't used, yes it will come loose. You have to take your time not stretching it to much and bring those bubbles out before you fit the bits.

Ah k so its a calendered polymeric film. fark must take ages to get it to conform around those small curves, i just want to do boot and bonnet so shouldnt be hard.

Driftt do you work in a sign shop? Im looking at wrapping my car matte black and need to source some vinyl. Spandex, qual sign and robayne pretty pricey over the counter.

One issue with clear coating people forget is that there is movement of the material so on items that might flex the coating will crack, just a point as to why it isn't clear coated.

Ah k so its a calendered polymeric film. fark must take ages to get it to conform around those small curves, i just want to do boot and bonnet so shouldnt be hard.

Driftt do you work in a sign shop? Im looking at wrapping my car matte black and need to source some vinyl. Spandex, qual sign and robayne pretty pricey over the counter.

Message me your details, what you are after and will see what I can do to help you out.

Edited by DRIFTT

Hi Charles, awesome works you've done here! I'd like to get some of those CF vinyl to try on my car. I couldn't pm u coz I havent had enough post yet. Anyway, can you give me a quote and it's gonna be good if I can pick it up next week. I'll hav whole week next week off to play with it. Thanks!

Ever since i saw DRIFTT's pic of a dash being wrapped, I also wanted to wrap mine. How much do you guys reckon it would take to wrap a whole 180sx dash? My dash has a few small cracks and I want to replace it or wrap it in this stuff. Even if this is more expensive then just replacing the dash, I'd rather go with the carbon look.

Ever since i saw DRIFTT's pic of a dash being wrapped, I also wanted to wrap mine. How much do you guys reckon it would take to wrap a whole 180sx dash? My dash has a few small cracks and I want to replace it or wrap it in this stuff. Even if this is more expensive then just replacing the dash, I'd rather go with the carbon look.

I have a whole load of Nissan bits coming in from a mate, he will be doing it on a direct exchange basis with the Carbon Wrapped parts sitting on the shelf ready, started doing them already to build the stock up. Looking at S13, S14, R32, R33 and some other one's not 100% sure. Since you have to use a primer you can use lower grade parts which of course are worth less so even though wrapped the cost isn't much higher then A grade parts.

Got a complete AE86 trim to do now for same guy, better to repair cracks and just wrap it compared to tracking down a new/decent replacement dash.