SAU Community

Carbon Fibre Vinyl Wrap

Charles89

Getting it around oustide corners is a PAIN, wrinkles and folds,

I recommend good vinyl and an experienced installer for those tricky bits, like my 32 wing.

At least the cheap stuff isnt too much of a waste of money... cos its cheap.

So ill rip it off and start again.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Temperature is everything!

this stuff works with precise temperatures, so trying to do my bonnet on a cold day didnt work too well.

the sun was on it untill the last corner, then the corner ripped off. sheeit.. oh well try again on a warm day. with help next time too.

Edited by D.I.Y. Mik

Heres some cheap stuff,

Hard to work with, but its my first go at it.

The bonnet ripped, and i sort of gave up on it, ill have to do it again.(3rd time lucky?)

The big bends are near impossible with this stuff, see patch on front bar.

The wing was done in 3 pieces after 2 failed attempts

The sides and rear pods were easier.

Good vynil and a proffessional installer would be the way to go in the future.

post-89755-0-26483400-1344645925_thumb.jpg

post-89755-0-27174700-1344645973_thumb.jpg

post-89755-0-24080700-1344646059_thumb.jpg

post-89755-0-97969900-1344646549_thumb.jpg

I've just had my first go at wraping, I have an R34 which had faded carbon decals, and I got a PM35 Wagon that I've done a few parts on aswell. Pretty easy to do if you get the good stuff, tight corners etc not a problem, just be methodical with it. And take the parts off.

PIC_0042.jpg

PIC_0037.jpg

2012-06-03142247.jpg

PIC_0039.jpg

PIC_0029.jpg

PIC_0041.jpg

Edited by 0t1

• 4 months later...

Resurrection time,

No point in making another thread.

Does anyone do this in Adelaide?

I saw the sponsored banner for 3m but their fitters section doesn't have a listing for SA just sellers which are mostly autobarn or sprints.

Resurrection time,

No point in making another thread.

Does anyone do this in Adelaide?

I saw the sponsored banner for 3m but their fitters section doesn't have a listing for SA just sellers which are mostly autobarn or sprints.

There is a guy who is selling out his 3m stock and biz closing up , its on the street behind the theberton pub on theberton rd , a block or two down then hang a right its the first building on your left next to a car wrapping joint ( his place is unmarked i think ) think his name is rodney

The 3m distro rep in adelaide is

[email protected]

And HVG are total assholes only want to deal in bulk and for industrial finishes so be warned poor customer service

Metro style in usa is a better place to buy , they have bucketloads of products and adhesive promoter

• 1 month later...

looks cool, did you plan to do the weave different directions though?

ooo lol you noticed that, tbh it's really really difficult to get it all as one piece like i tried and tried and kept getting it wrong, so what i did was do like small pieces at a time, when u sit in the car, u don't really notice that the weave goes in different directions, but yeah..

i'm happy with it, looks much better than the old s1 melted off paint.

• 1 month later...

Charles 89 lol

Or nightcrawler ( andrew might ?)

Cbf with it myself , but have some small bits left of my testing 3m 1080 stuff if I remember right

Haha yeah, been away from SAU for a while, but now I'm back if anyone needs interior bits wrapped? :)

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Ive been cruising through this thread for a while and thought I'd try this. Went and bought some 3M carbon fibre vinyl to wrap my manual gear surround. 

Did anyone else struggle with the manual surround? I can't for the life of me wrap around corners/round edges. Any tips/tricks?