SAU Community

Carbon Fibre Vinyl Wrap

Charles89

So is this the recognised best product for external use?

My R34 4-door's passenger side B-pillar factory carbon vinyl is very sun-damaged, and needs to be replaced, but I'm not sure what is the best UV/weather resistant product to use?

I'm in Adelaide, so any supplier references would be good also.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My R34 4-door's passenger side B-pillar factory carbon vinyl is very sun-damaged, and needs to be replaced, but I'm not sure what is the best UV/weather resistant product to use?

Well, if you want, you could send your b pillar to me and I can wrap it for you :P

OR I could send you 2 strips of vinyl and you can wrap it urself :D

I'm in Adelaide with an R34 4-door with the exact same issue (sun-damaged factory carbon vinyls)... I've been recently in contact with a local seller of DI-NOC, but I'm still waiting a call-back from them.

I'm honestly not really looking forward to tackling fixing it - I don't know whether the pillars remove like in coupes - and I'm gonna have to try and remove the factory wind deflectors too (without destroying them!).

I'll let you know if they get back to me (they were a reference from the 3M DI-NOC website for retailers in SA).

I'm in Adelaide with an R34 4-door with the exact same issue (sun-damaged factory carbon vinyls)... I've been recently in contact with a local seller of DI-NOC, but I'm still waiting a call-back from them.

I'm honestly not really looking forward to tackling fixing it - I don't know whether the pillars remove like in coupes - and I'm gonna have to try and remove the factory wind deflectors too (without destroying them!).

I'll let you know if they get back to me (they were a reference from the 3M DI-NOC website for retailers in SA).

Well if you just need the vinyl to fix your pillars, then I'm sure I can sell you some cheaper than they can ;)

Lemme know how much they wanna charge you.

using any printed vinyl like those B-pillar nismo stickers will always fade badly if you leave the car in daylight alot...

If this stuff has a texture to it I can imagine using it externally it could collect dirt and grime and be annoying to when washing the car...

real carbon fibre items are the only way to have a long lasting trouble free reality...

Well if you just need the vinyl to fix your pillars, then I'm sure I can sell you some cheaper than they can :D

Lemme know how much they wanna charge you.

JRM: I'll be very interested in the results of your research :P could you send me a PM when they get back in contact with you, in case I forget to check this thread, lol.

I don't expect the actual process to be especially difficult. I've had a look, and the factory vinyl is directly applied to the steel door frame. I believe that a careful approach with a heat gun (hair dryer if you need) to avoid damaging the adjacent rubber seals will allow the old vinyl to be peeled off. A new piece can then be applied, and trimmed 'in-situ' to perfection, ensuring that it wraps around a little.

-Heat gun

-Solvent (metho) & rag

-Trimming knife

-Soapy water for application & another rag.

:huh:

Charles: Sorry mate, I'm not prepared to send my two passenger side doors to Victoria for you to do them :lol: Once jrm has this quote he can compare that to your price though ;)

using any printed vinyl like those B-pillar nismo stickers will always fade badly if you leave the car in daylight alot...

If this stuff has a texture to it I can imagine using it externally it could collect dirt and grime and be annoying to when washing the car...

real carbon fibre items are the only way to have a long lasting trouble free reality...

You are quite wrong, I left my car outside for the last few days, since its Melbourne, the vinyl went through some crazy weather, heavy rain and 38c days and it is still spotless :down:

The only time it will collect dirt and grime is when someone runs their hand on my vinyl over and over and over and over lol, and even then, a bit of water and a wipe, it's clean again.

I'd like to see how it looks with a clear coat. If it's nice and dark/glossy then I'll get you to attack my MR2's interior for me :P

I'm thinking of doing a custom thing to go over my auto box (the bit where it says P, R, N, D, 2, 1) coz it's become faded. Would that be hard?

Edited by jezza boii

I'd like to see how it looks with a clear coat. If it's nice and dark/glossy then I'll get you to attack my MR2's interior for me :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of doing a custom thing to go over my auto box (the bit where it says P, R, N, D, 2, 1) coz it's become faded. Would that be hard?

PM sent :P

Im liking it quite alot.. except the sides of the wing.. a little too bland for me..

I really need to get some for my B pillars

For B-pillars, if you want, you can send your pillars to me and I'll wrap them for you for $40 (20 each)+postage back to you :D

Or I can send you 2 pieces of CF vinyl, enough to wrap both pillars for $40 ;)