SAU Community

Xanavi Help

chef_stagea

hey all

just sold the 260 today... looking to get an rs4 for a tow rig...

ive found one im semi into... it nas xanavi witch neither of my stags have had b4... ive never actualy played with it...

is it all im japanese?

does it control audio also? (theres a single din tape player under it i believe)

how had is it to get the tv working while driving?

would i need to get a headunit in there??

the lower headunit said 'cd change' is the xanavi unit a stacker also?

ill have more of a play tomorrow when i actualy properly see the car...

cheers!

is it all in japanese? yes

does it control audio also? to a small degree

how had is it to get the tv working while driving? easy, plenty written about this over the years, you will need a digital tv tuner that outputs in NTSC and a unit which allows screen to be viewed whilst car is in motion.

would i need to get a headunit in there?? no, depends on where you want to go with setup.

the lower headunit said 'cd change' is the xanavi unit a stacker also? stacker in back

Basically your xanavi (in oz) is just a screen for operating the air con and an input for any NTSC video signal (tv, dvd, sat nav etc) you put through it. The inbuilt Jap Navigation and Jap TV are unusable.

You can just get a DVD head unit to replace the tape player and run all the sound etc out of it. Then just hook the screen up for displaying the picture. This is what i have done. If you go this option get a dvd-mp3 player. You can fit so many mp3s on a DVD. My player also displays the song and artist information on the xanavi screen.

The video input is in the back behind the left hand strut tower (from memory) you will have to remove the interior panel.

There is a jack in the front of the stock unit that allows you plug an ipod etc. in. Then you just have to figure out the menus to select the right source. If you do put in another head unit you will loose this function as all the sound will be through the new unit.

To have the screen on while driving you will need to get your hands on a device that plugs in between the screen and the main loom. I have no idea what they call them, basically it just intercepts the signals and allows the screen to stay on. Unfortunately there is not a simple wire around solution. The car may have one in it already, mine did.

Sorry car is at the workshop without an engine atm so I don't have pic's... if I come across one I'll post... but yeah I think aftermarket headunits can be made to mount just as flush as the OEM unit (the single-DIN one at the bottom of the xanavi setup)... if that's what you mean. Mine did. I just left the outer plastic surround/frame thing that comes with the headunit off.

I recommend getting one with at least a USB port, 'cause 16-32GB USB keys are pretty cheap these days and a (* load easier to manage (IMHO ;)) than cds/dvds etc. Also recommend bluetooth capability for your phone...

I think nobody's mentioned yet that the xanavi screen folds down (has an "eject" button) and behind it there is a slot-load CD player. Plus when it's folded down it doubles as a drink shelf :D

There are two 3.5mm phono sockets (the kind usually found on headphones etc) on the front of the xanavi unit; top is for video and bottom for audio (99% sure could be the other way round!)

To use as an input you press the TV button (is marked in English) and select "VR2" input on the touch-screen.

The climate control is also handled by the touchscreen; very cool. The two Jap "buttons" (on-screen) below the image of the air source are for manual selection of air source (left button) and outside temperature (right button). Temperature display etc are in English.

If you install an aftermarket headunit, you can wire the output from the Xanavi unit into its auxilary input. This is how I have mine setup. That leaves me with the front panel audio/video inputs on the Xanavi still working, the NTSC sound output and the internal CD player output, all working through my aftermarket headunit. You'll need a 5-pin DIN plug to do this (easily available). If you need the pinouts just let me know but pretty easily found by testing.

ok thanx guys

will i be putting my cd's into my headunit or xanavi tho?

so i need a headunit that does the following:

usb

direct ipod

dvd with video output (to then plug into the xanavi imput??)

sound imput (for when i use the tv?)

and a digital tv reciver with ntsc output, witch plugs into where?? the xanavi or a plug ive heard about in the rear passanger boot area

another unit witch hooks in **dont no where???** that lets it play while driving?? what are these called where from?

ive gota nokia carkit ill use anyway

am i missing anything??

dave im not quite getting you on this 5 pin thingo??

after this what will my xanavi unit be doing audio wise?

thanx for all your help guys.

Edited by chef_stagea

No need to have an aftermarket head unit unless you plan on running amps, subs etc.

edit: sorry for shit photo's- iphone @ night lol

- My iphone plugs direct in the system and doubles as a incar phone kit too- just plug into phone. When someone calls the phone thinks you have earphones in- all audio goes through sound system:

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

- Standard headunit is linked to a 6 stacker in boot:

IMG_0816.jpg

- You can also put 1 CD at a time into the Xanavi unit (screen pops down):

IMG_0811.jpg

- My Xanavi has a digital TV tuner installed (thanks to chook! Oh and the blue thing is just a power inverter i use to power the DVD player- plugs into power socket in boot, but could easily be hardwired).

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

- DVD player sits in pouch behind passenger seat with small slit in seat covers- small enough to put underneath passenger seat also:

IMG_0814.jpg

If your looking for a stagea with xanavi and can tow you know mine is for sale :P

Edited by EvoMitchy

• 3 weeks later...