SAU Community

Project R32 Gtr Completed. Time For A Detune.

9krpm

I've always wanted to build a versatile R32 GTR that can be driven legally on the street, capable of 9 sec on the drag strip and still go hard on the circuit.

When I bought the car a few years ago, the project looked doable....however with recent changes in the transport legislation and racing requirement rules (mainly cage and tyres allowance) I've a change of plan. I just like to share some memories and appreciations of friends/shops that was helpful during it's development, before the car get sold or strip back back to stock.

Car is a very clean 1994 V spec R32 bought in 2005 with a freshly rebuilt PPG box with the lot.

R32.jpg

R321.jpg

First mod was a Power FC D Jetro and a complete service + retune by Willall Racing. Car made 412rwkw on the roller.

First track day was stopped short by a broken PPG input shaft on decceleration after about 3 warm up laps :P

During the repair, the first safety mod went in

4 points bolt in cage from Walker Chassis

IMG_0333.jpg

Sound deadening materials and oem carpet was removed and replaced with a lighter/thinner carpet...can be seen in the below picture

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

Other mods in the cars were

(sorry for the dirty pictures but they were taken when I was selling these parts)

A pair of T517Z Greddy Turbo

IMG_4981.jpg

Mines 70mm dump pipes

IMG_4988.jpg

IMG_4986.jpg

Mines tuned front pipe

IMG_4985.jpg

Titanium cat back exhaust

IMG_5695.jpg

and a few other mods that can be seen in the engine bay

oldenginebay.jpg

Some more parts to improve cooling, safety and reliability

Rear differential cooler

IMG_5726.jpg

Transfer case cooler and 2x 044 fuel pumps

IMG_5718.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

Front diff sump extension

IMG_5707.jpg

AP 6 pots front and AP 4 pots rear to improve deceleration ;)

IMG_5711.jpg

IMG_5710.jpg

Some go fast bits

ACPT carbon fiber shaft

IMG_5721.jpg

Bilstein coilovers

IMG_5723.jpg

Edited by 9krpm

The car behaved reasonably well on the track and was doing 57sec on the sprint track at Queensland Raceway in early 2006.

However due to work commitment, lack of time to race and power hunger, car was sent to D&D Motor and Willall Racing in Adelaide for some more power.

PPG 5 speed box also had it.

Edited by 9krpm

Using as a paper weight at the moment

IMG_5730.jpg

Box was replaced with a 5 speed OS gearbox. In my opinion, this box is one of the best gearbox for a street and track car.

It has been so reliable and low maintenance. The gear shift is not as nice as the dogbox but it is the best bang for buck.

I took the car to Willowbank drag strip and only had 2 runs because the rear axle snapped. First run was 11.3 @ 126mph which was far from it's goal.

Axle was replaced and car went onto the interstate truck for a new engine.

Some interesting developments in the pipeline hey. The car went well so if you are starting over with a new project and getting more serious it should be a good thing

Yes hopefully the next project will be a bit more serious than this one because it will be a track only car.

I am very fortunate to meet a lot of kind and helpful people who have certainly made the decision to part this current project and take on the next one a bit easier. Thanks

(I had a fair share of bad workshops and disappointments with this project too but they wont get mentioned on here. If there is nothing nice to say, it's best not to.)

N1GTR and noone, the coolers are PWR oil cores, VDO oil pump, fitted to the diff and transfer case via welded on bungs, braided line and Earl fittings. For the diff you can get the Trust diff cover which has extra volume and ports for oil cooler. However, I did not want to add extra weight and got fittings weld onto the rear and top of the oem cover. Oil return is at the top driver side of this cover.

The car is on a hoist at the moment, if you like more pictures I can take a few snap shots.

• 2 weeks later...
Great car, some great mods.

Just out of interest is this car now for sale or does the next project involve this car?

Sorry for the late reply my hard drive died and my mate is trying to recuperate some of the data and images at the moment.

The next project will be a different car without street registration. This car will be detuned to suit the Superlap Street Class. It has too much torque for racing in the required street tyres atm.

Anyway, I bought the OS Giken long motor from Willall's Drag R32, when it came out for a refreshment after a couple of 8 seconds passes at 2005 Jamboree in QLD. The engine was sitting in their garage collecting dust after refreshment because of the Adelaide International Drag strip closure since 2005.

My car was sent to Adelaide safely but sat at a mate's workshop for a while because he was busy with his new business. I eventually went down to drop the engine in with the assistance of his mechanic. I took a few pictures but the bloody hard drive had it. BTW don't buy Lacie hard drive. They claimed that their 2nd generation hard drive is safer...well apparently not :ninja:

Hopefully my mate will be able to retrieve the data on the hard drive.

I will snap some more pictures of the oil coolers this weekend.

Edited by 9krpm

was it making 412rwkw with the T517z? were they the 8cm or 10cm? and at that power you ran the 11.3?

It made 412rwkw with the 10cm in Adelaide.

I then had a few things done at a workshop in Woolloongabba, QLD and lost power. It took a while and lots of wasted $$$ to get back to close to that figure.

Lesson No 1 learned; never take the GTR to a bad workshop.

Yes it was around 11.3 or 11.4 at 126mph with circuit wheel alignment (front 4+ and rear 2+ camber), cage and full sound system lol

I will try to dig out a video of the run

is the project finish?

Yes it is. Car is on the hoist waiting for the old engine to go back in.

Anyway, my mate was able to retrieve some of the image from the hard drive last weekend and I did not have time lst weekend to take pictures of the oil coolers. Sorry :D

Car in Glenelg, last pic before surgery

CarinGlenelg.jpg

The new and the old

IMG_4773.jpg

OS Cam Gear

IMG_4778.jpg

Turbo

IMG_4774.jpg

IMG_4776.jpg

Stock Intake plenum

IMG_4777.jpg

OS Giken 1 way lsd

IMG_4791.jpg

ATI crank pulley

IMG_4781.jpg

Race pullies

IMG_4780.jpg

What a big carrot, come on R32.... I know you want it :(

IMG_4785.jpg

IMG_4786.jpg

Getting there

IMG_4798.jpg

Ready for testing....my obscession with black, stock looking engine bay and air conditioner in this project is fairly obvious in the next picture :(

IMG_0159.jpg

Testing at Mallala

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Lesson No 2: RB 26/30 is a PITA to bleed coolant and needs an ARC (or equivalent) automatic bleed system

Testing was cut short and was only done in low boost due to air bubble and overheating on track.

Car was ~2 second faster than the old engine even on low boost.

My good friend who has been a big help in this project...he did most of the spanner work initially when I was so busy with work

De.jpg

top work mate... looks perfect..

can i make one suggestion maybe.... have you thought about tinting your clear cam belt cover?? your cam covers and plenum look great... but the belt cover looks to shiny and clearish... if you get some of the spray on tint that wankers use on their taillights etc.. and spray it from the inside... you'll still be able to see through it.. but it wont be so clear and perspexy

i say that only because youve gone to the effort of repainting your other covers.

cheers

Linton

Thanks guys and thanks Linton for the suggestion. You are right it looked very clear and clean from the picture. However with the heat and dirt from the track, the clearness has been lost. For my track car I think I will go back to the stock cover because it is more durable and black :)

I am only up to ~ early 2008. There is still a bit more R&D's and steep learning curve on this car.

The 3.0L and pair of T517z made the car almost too easy to drive and similar to a V8 with small turbo or the 996TT. There was a huge torque in midrange and this tapers off at top end. From the butt dyno it felt as if the car runs out of breath....which is of course not true on the real dyno. Willall Racing spent a lot of dyno time to get the optimal tune however that was what the turbochargers could flow and they were restricting top end performance of this engine.

The setup would be close to perfect for a circuit car. However that was not the only intention of this project and also I prefer cars with strong midrange and top end torque. They are a bit more exhilarating to control.

After test driving my car and 2 other GTR's with identical OS Giken engines, tuners, pump fuel etc but with different turbo. The other cars had HKS T04Z and twin TD06. We ditched the T517z and went for it's larger brother T618Z 10cm. I know that this will certainly affect circuit time but will make the car more exhilarating to drive.

• 5 weeks later...

very very nice mate. mine is off getting a rebuild at the moment. running t517'z aswell. justwondering what your best power figure was on wht boost with the 2.6 and t517z's. was it still capable of decent response? ive found mine to be abit sluggish but thats with no cams/headwork and factory bottom end untill i get it back