SAU Community

coil pack upgrades??

WHITE R32

im interested in this. I think my standard coil packs are playing up so im after a cheap upgrade also. A mate was using these bosch coil packs which were really cheap, they were mounted on in the engine bay and had plugs runnign to the top of the coil packs. This was on his CA18det. He said that he thought that maybe aftermarket management was needed to run them though but he wasn't sure.

I'm interested in this thread.

Sydneykid - what sort of set were you running for the 625 bhp - ie what boost and what turbo, what sort of intercooling ?

Cause I would have thought this would be a contributing factor. Ie if you are running high boost, small turbo, less efficient cooler, the coil packs might break down. On the reverse side if you running all the right gear you might be fine.

On my old setup - (240rwkw) the workshop guys said my coil packs were breaking down. (Spark blowing out)

On my new setup ( >240rwkw) they are fine. And I have changed a lot between the two setups. (but not coilpacks)

Also, the guys that told that the coli packs are were breaking down could have been spinning a whole bunch of porkies.

So how do you tell if your coilspacks need to be upgraded ?

Hi B-man, that a fair comment, 625 bhp is not the same loading on coils if the set ups are different/compromised. But I don't believe in using stronger coils as a bandaid, if you have a problem with heat, then fix the problem, don't cover it up with stronger coils.

My experience has been plug gap is most variable, we run around 0.8 mm (some plugs come standard at 1.1 mm). So WHITE R32 that would be my first port of call, check the plug gaps.

A lot of shops will tell you the coils are breaking down, after all there is money to be made in selling and/or fittling a new set of coils. Not a lot of money to be made in regapping the plugs.

Hope that helps

Merry Xmas to all

Hi Buster, if we upgrade coils we use Mercury outboard coils which are designed to be used with CDI. They are OK value at $75 per coil. We also use a Motec CDI to fire them, not such great value at $2,500. But our experience has been this is the only worthwhile step up from standard coils. Autronic CDI's have also worked OK and are a little bit cheaper than Motec's.

So if I wanted/needed better spark than the (pretty damn good) standard coils deliver, then a CDI and CDI coils would be the only way I would go.

Hope that helps some more

I've noticed the NKG standard coppers with a .8mm gap would cause a slight surging or power dip type feeling when running high boost (1.1-1.2bar) and lots of timing.

I did a little test with the NGK copper V-grooves (BCPR6EY) and they are definately better. It is noticible. The car rev's easier up top and pumping 1.1-1.2bar in to it doesn't make the car faulter with power dips/flattening out. I've also been able to pump the timing back in to it.

At first I thought they were just a gimic but after going from V-grooves to standards then back to v-grooves there is a definate difference.

My first set were BCPR6EY which have a preset gap of .8mm which is perfect.

The second set I would have had to wait 3 weeks to get them so I got the BCPR6EY-11 which have a preset gap of 1.1mm hence the -11.

They only appear to make a difference when running high boost and lots of timing. Stock setup I didn't notice any difference.

I noticed that there is a definate difference with the electrode with the standard plugs and the V-grooves. The V-grooves look slightly longer well the white stuff around the electrode.

Don't get the BKR6EY like some state as they have the incorrect height. One is a jap standard that is a few mm taller than the other BK plugs.

I'd be curious to see if Sydneykid has had any experience with the V-grooves and if he thinks they are a good thing or not.

i have been thinking of the splitfire coils as something for the future only due to past experence with there products, i also use their performance v plugs in my rb20det and their leads and plugs in my rb30e in both cases i've had no problems and produced more power, from what you guys have said i'll keep my standard coil packs and just use good plugs!