SAU Community

Whats Neeed To Install Gtr Brakes On A S15

toy515

hey guys

im looking at upgrading my brakes on my s15 to either r32 gtr brakes front and rear or r33 gtr brembos front and rear

i was also thinking of upgrading the rear subframe from a r33 gtr diff shafts ect... would this help me with upgrading my brakes?

any info would be great

thanks

The R32 GTR brakes are much better than the stock S15 brakes. The front calipers are much lighter while still being a larger sink (however the pistons are the same). The rotor diameter is larger on the front (296mm vs 280mm). The rear is completely different. The R32 GTR uses a 297mm rotor with 2x38mm pistons whereas the S15 has a 257mm non-ventilated rotor with 1x38mm piston.

The only thing is you will need to convert your handbrake assembly to the Skyline setup as well as the GTR runs a drum handbrake in the rear. To do this you will need R33 GTS-T handbrake cables as the R32 ones are too short for the S15 chassis.

As for the R33 GTR setup. I don't believe its worth the money people ask. The only real advantage it has over the R32 GTR setup is the front rotor size. If you want you can buy caliper offset brackets and run the 324mm R33 GTR rotors with the R32 GTR calipers and therefore have 95% of the braking capacity the GTR Brembos offer but for significantly less money.

In short. Parts needed:

R32 GTR Setup:

R32 GTR Front calipers

R32 GTR Front rotors

R32 GTR Rear calipers

R32 GTR Rear rotors

R32 GTR Rear handbrake assembly

R33 GTS-T handbrake cables

R33 GTR Setup:

R33 GTR Front calipers

R33 GTR Front rotors

R33 GTR Rear calipers

R33 GTR Rear rotors

R32 GTR or R33 GTS-T handbrake assembly (R33 GTR will NOT fit unless you use the R33 GTR hubs and therefore driveshafts etc)

The R33 runs 5 bolt driveshafts so you can either:

- Swap your S15 diff center into the R33 diff and use your S15 6 bolt driveshafts OR;

- Install the complete R33 diff with the R33 driveshafts into your S15 subframe.

The S15 subframe is stronger than the R33 unit so I'd keep it.

The R33 runs 5 bolt driveshafts so you can either:

- Swap your S15 diff center into the R33 diff and use your S15 6 bolt driveshafts OR;

- Install the complete R33 diff with the R33 driveshafts into your S15 subframe.

The S15 subframe is stronger than the R33 unit so I'd keep it.

if i was to put the r33 diff and shafts into my subframe, is there any modifying needed? im only after and diff ratios so what would be there easiest also i have the auto s15 diff so its not helical its viscous if thats any help?

Ah. In that case. Assuming your S15 viscous centre is in good condition you can just tap the 5 bolt half shafts out of an ABS R33 diff and tap your S15 ones into it. Then the whole thing will bolt straight in.

Ah. In that case. Assuming your S15 viscous centre is in good condition you can just tap the 5 bolt half shafts out of an ABS R33 diff and tap your S15 ones into it. Then the whole thing will bolt straight in.

ok so will the diff mount the same into the subframe? also the speedo sensor on the s15 runs from the diff? if i was to get the diff gears out of a r33 diff and put them into mine? would that be fine?

cheers

ok so will the diff mount the same into the subframe? also the speedo sensor on the s15 runs from the diff? if i was to get the diff gears out of a r33 diff and put them into mine? would that be fine?

cheers

The ABS sensors on the R33 and the S15 diffs are the same. So is the back cover. You may as well just leave the diff gears in the R33 housing.

• 10 years later...
On 29/12/2009 at 7:40 AM, Equinox said:

The R32 GTR brakes are much better than the stock S15 brakes. The front calipers are much lighter while still being a larger sink (however the pistons are the same). The rotor diameter is larger on the front (296mm vs 280mm). The rear is completely different. The R32 GTR uses a 297mm rotor with 2x38mm pistons whereas the S15 has a 257mm non-ventilated rotor with 1x38mm piston.

The only thing is you will need to convert your handbrake assembly to the Skyline setup as well as the GTR runs a drum handbrake in the rear. To do this you will need R33 GTS-T handbrake cables as the R32 ones are too short for the S15 chassis.

As for the R33 GTR setup. I don't believe its worth the money people ask. The only real advantage it has over the R32 GTR setup is the front rotor size. If you want you can buy caliper offset brackets and run the 324mm R33 GTR rotors with the R32 GTR calipers and therefore have 95% of the braking capacity the GTR Brembos offer but for significantly less money.

In short. Parts needed:

R32 GTR Setup:

R32 GTR Front calipers

R32 GTR Front rotors

R32 GTR Rear calipers

R32 GTR Rear rotors

R32 GTR Rear handbrake assembly

R33 GTR Setup:

R33 GTR Front calipers

R33 GTR Front rotors

R33 GTR Rear calipers

R33 GTR Rear rotors

R32 GTR or R33 GTS-T handbrake assembly (R33 GTR will NOT fit unless you use the R33 GTR hubs and therefore driveshafts etc)

PM sent