SAU Community

Drop Tank

mrbov

I'd love to see if anyones made a alloy drop tank for the R33 real or just a cover don't matter

Just imagine polished on a black sky mmmmmmmmm

if so pics plsssss :banana:

spare wheel wells in the skylines dont lend themselves to drop tanks, we have made and installed one into a sprinter but that was with cutting out the entire rear floor panel and starting again.

i may be alone in this thought, but why would u like ur sophisticated hi-tech black skyline to look like a beer swilling, bogan spec torana?? i guess it would give the car a race look, but i think it would look a bit tacky.

but hey if u like the drop tank look just get a sheet of stainless bent up to cover over the spare wheel well. who knows it might come up ok.

disclaimer: no offense is meant to torana owners. i think it looks crap when u polish ur drop tank.

My brother had a custom aluminium polished drop tank fabricated an fitted to his R33 GTS-t. No cutting of the chassis or this or that was required, and it looked bloody awesome.

Here's a few pics. This was after he sold the car to some guy in QLD. Used to be a WA car. The drop tank was done by Briffa Engineering in Perth. Sorry for sh!tty quality pics.

post-42973-1262141194_thumb.jpg

post-42973-1262141206_thumb.jpg

i may be alone in this thought, but why would u like ur sophisticated hi-tech black skyline to look like a beer swilling, bogan spec torana?? i guess it would give the car a race look, but i think it would look a bit tacky.

but hey if u like the drop tank look just get a sheet of stainless bent up to cover over the spare wheel well. who knows it might come up ok.

disclaimer: no offense is meant to torana owners. i think it looks crap when u polish ur drop tank.

The only thing i have seen that looks good with a drop tank is an SLR5000, that also includes the car in the post above.

Dunno if it 100% suits the style of that particular R33, but that tank is sick. With more of a "old school" modification approach, ie. smaller wheels with big offsets, fairly stock body, etc. that would look awesome.

I find it funny the way everyone bags out commodores/toranas etc. as "beer swilling bogan mobiles".

It's not as if our mid 90's, wooshing, ridiculously loud skylines are the epitome of a classy, subtle car.

You had to see the drop tank in person. It really did suit the car.

The drop tank was way off centre due to the exhaust system. It was going to require too much work to move the exhaust system to centre th drop tank. But, i did look very unique being off-centre, just like the FC RX7 bonnet scoop looks awesome being off-centre :D

I find it funny the way everyone bags out commodores/toranas etc. as "beer swilling bogan mobiles".

It's not as if our mid 90's, wooshing, ridiculously loud skylines are the epitome of a classy, subtle car.

Speak for your self, my exhaust was made to flow but still be quiet and my bov is plumbed back so there is no whoosh.

Speak for your self, my exhaust was made to flow but still be quiet and my bov is plumbed back so there is no whoosh.

Haha, by and large i do speak for myself.

I'd be willing to bet that your "made to flow" exhaust is still substantially louder than a stock one. Your car probably wooshes too from induction noise, that's what I meant by what I said.

My point was that to a lot of people, we're all bogans. Yes, you too W0rp3d.

Drop tank rules.

Peace.

Haha, by and large i do speak for myself.

I'd be willing to bet that your "made to flow" exhaust is still substantially louder than a stock one. Your car probably wooshes too from induction noise, that's what I meant by what I said.

My point was that to a lot of people, we're all bogans. Yes, you too W0rp3d.

Drop tank rules.

Peace.

No induction noise i have a factory air box, i try to avoid all those noise's that a lot of people mod there car for, yes my exhaust is louder but i believe it is legal and certainly isnt V8 loud, where you hear it coming from around the corner and expect it to fly past but drives past at 40k's 1500rpm and 148 decibels.

I dont believe that "commodores/toranas etc. as "beer swilling bogan mobiles"." but there are a larege portion of there owners that are, although not so much with classic torana's as these days they are pretty expensive and there are not as many "beer swilling bogans" that own them.

Whilst i wouldnt say that a skyline is more classy, it is better styled and engineered, and in fact i think my 94 skyline has better styling than any commodore produced, including the current VE, cant compare a skyline to a torana tho, its a whole different genre, SLR500 is my favourite closely followed by the XU1(or any 2 door LJ).

BTW, my skyline is currently off the road and my daily would be considered a bogan mobile, bog stock fridge white 91 NC 5ltr fairlane, and i love it.

Edited by W0rp3D

No induction noise i have a factory air box, i try to avoid all those noise's that a lot of people mod there car for, yes my exhaust is louder but i believe it is legal and certainly isnt V8 loud, where you hear it coming from around the corner and expect it to fly past but drives past at 40k's 1500rpm and 148 decibels.

I dont believe that "commodores/toranas etc. as "beer swilling bogan mobiles"." but there are a larege portion of there owners that are, although not so much with classic torana's as these days they are pretty expensive and there are not as many "beer swilling bogans" that own them.

Whilst i wouldnt say that a skyline is more classy, it is better styled and engineered, and in fact i think my 94 skyline has better styling than any commodore produced, including the current VE, cant compare a skyline to a torana tho, its a whole different genre, SLR500 is my favourite closely followed by the XU1(or any 2 door LJ).

BTW, my skyline is currently off the road and my daily would be considered a bogan mobile, bog stock fridge white 91 NC 5ltr fairlane, and i love it.

Fair enough! That's quite a wise choice i think, and i do know what you mean about noisy pooboxes that have no exhausts. Your comment about the Toranas (Toranii?) is interesting, as I kinda hope that skylines start to head down this path, as in well cared for, mild body mods etc. Not riced out thrashboxes. Hence my kinda liking the drop tank look i guess.

My other daily is a 2005 XR6 ute, it's being sold as it is nowhere near as well built, or nice to drive as a 14 year old R33. Scary.

2 door LJ with an rb30 would be tonnes of win. So would 14" gold hundred spokes and juice on your Fairlane!

Apologies for OT ramblings.

Jesse

okay. so whats the point of having that tank dangling out the back?

Winning Bathurst Basicly (or any endurane race really)....no real need to have a 36 Gal (160 odd L) fuel tank on a street car unless it was built to win at the mountain i.e the 36 Gal fuel tanks fitted to HO falcons, E38 Chargers, Torana's, Monaros etc

wow, i know what my next mod to my silvia will be now.

drop tank for sure.

i bet it will handle way better with a big lump of metal and 150 litres of fuel slapped under it as far towards the rear as i can get it...

lets all get drop tanks, because if jerkoffs in commondores can do it, so can we!