SAU Community

Diy Fix Cluncking Noise In Dash R33's

nick81xd

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

so i did this today...pretty easy only had 1 bolt in it...maybe its been done before.....pulled it apart and there is only 4-5 teeth left on the little cog...made it work put it together and its doesn't click now...which is great, but the vents still dont work, I have feet and i think half a windscreen the passenger side which is useless to me really......no dash vents at all.....the vent arm is moving with the motor and all but nothing changes...:unsure:

Gah. So a year ago I swapped out the mixer, and now its stuffed again. The temperature is pretty much stuck on 32 degrees, which I speculated was the mixer, but the noise seems to happen when I select different modes (feet/face).

I tried this method today, popped the condenser unit down about 1cm, but I just can't get my hand in there to do anything. I can just barely touch the top bolt with my finger with the steel bar and airbag in the way. =-/

• 2 months later...

Update: After removing the vent pipe, then the stereo and facia surround etc etc, there was still no way of getting to the actuator so I ended up removing the dashboard (just lifting it up, really) and replacing it.

• 1 month later...

What a PITA place for the actuator to be located. I cant even get my hands in there far enough to touch the unit.... I got the missus to try and she can just touch it along with the first bolt, but not enough to undo the first bolt.. let alone the second one.

So far we've both tried and we've spent more time just trying to get to it then im willing to admit.. :whistling: The only thing we've got to show for it, is the constant clicking noise on start and badly sliced hands :(

Has anyone else managed to do this on a S2 without removing the entire dash? It's driving me crazy!

Or is there anyone in Perth who has managed to do it who could help me just to get the unit out??

Cheers

Adam

• 5 weeks later...

I'm stuck at the photo that KrazyKong took.

I've moved those 4 screws, and I can now move then condensor? To the left by a cm or 2 and I can't pull it down to hear the 'pop'.

Am I also meant to unscrew the white plastic box to the left of it as well? If so, which screws? :S

Such a headache and small amount of room due to the passenger airbag..

• 2 months later...

I signed up purely to say thanks for this! I got my car 2 weeks ago and this has been driving me crazy, I was ready to pull the dash out! All went pretty smoothly, the hardest part as other have said is that back bolt. I dropped it and nearly lost it when trying to do it up, but managed to get it back. Also I lost that little copper strip, but it still works fine without it. Another problem I had was that one of my other smaller cogs had a missing tooth, but I worked out that it doesn't quite do a full revolution, so I positioned it right and its all good, until another one breaks off :P Now just to fix my actual air-conditioning :/

Thanks again!

• 9 months later...

This is a bad bump but hoping I get a reply. I did this about a year ago. Fixed it. Today it came back. Everything still works in relation to air flow in my AC. I'm going to disconnect this piece of shit. Would it affect my AC and if so i what way?

I did this in my S2 without removing the dash. Can't remember how so this is gonna be interesting job for tomorrow. Now we have 3D printers, we should get someone who is familiar with CAD to design a replacement piece and have it printed by a company who does 3D prints! I'll if my colleague can design it, if so, I'll get in contact with another work mate who has a printer and see if he can print out a batch!

Well when I replaced mine twice, both old units were impossible to open with out breaking... if you can find a method and make the cogs you'd be in business!
I think it's nearly impossible in S2 with passenger airbag, but happy to be proven wrong!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...