SAU Community

Ford F6 Typhoon Vs R34 Gtt

As the title states - I am in the market for a F6 Typhoon for R34 GTT.

I really am leaning towards the FPV but should there be something grossly wrong with it, I might consider the R34 GTT.

Currently own a R34 GT25.

What do you guys/girls think?? What advice can you provide for me?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

F6 is dearer but more family man looking....

I had an xr6 turbo before my i got my rex then skyline and i way prefer the skyline to the xr6 turbo it was just too big and heavy and didnt handle well at all :woot:

Shouldnt the topic read Typhoon vs 34GTR?

Not really an BA MkII F6 Typhoon is only 25k and a good 34GTT is still the best part of 20k so, a far cry from the 45-50k for a 34GTR. Personally if it was my money I would buy a R33 GTR could get a great example for 22-25k. Another thing to consider is the BA Xr6 turbo only marginally slower than a F6 still quicker than a GTT and can be had from only 14k drive away.

Thats a good point Dave. And further to your and Brandon's point....

R34GTT I am purchasing a 10+ year old car which is holding me back + maintenance will set me back a bit. R34 GT-R I can't afford at the moment. R32 and R33 GT-R's, however good and tough they may be, they are still 15+ year old cars and maintenance isn't cheap on those either.

Im looking at a 2004 or 2005 F6 Typhoon in the comparison which would set one back at most 35k, based on looking thoroughly through carsales.com.au

Not really an BA MkII F6 Typhoon is only 25k and a good 34GTT is still the best part of 20k so, a far cry from the 45-50k for a 34GTR. Personally if it was my money I would buy a R33 GTR could get a great example for 22-25k. Another thing to consider is the BA Xr6 turbo only marginally slower than a F6 still quicker than a GTT and can be had from only 14k drive away.

My bad. When the word typhoon comes up, the price tag of 45k just appear. Anyway, if you like space and the pull of the v engine, get typhoon if not you'll have more fun with the GTT.

But I'd have to agree with FrangaR33 about 33GTR. They dont cost anymore on maintenance comparing to GTTs (not thats significant at all). The only hard bit is sourcing a good one which is hard for all imports anyway. And if you have 35k to play with, I'm sure you'll be able to strike a decent GTR for that kinda money, Series 3 or one thats rebuilt with forged internals.

Again its what you are using the car for. Daily or toy?

Daily you could buy either but would have to be kept relatively lightly modded.

Toy, there would be only one choice :woot:

Typhoon bah!! ..get the FPV GT Boss 290.....a real mans car

As for skyline being a 15 year old car the ford 6 is an over 30 year old engine,remembering ford were running the 250 in the 70s... sure its had some upgrades but its an old fart and the RB is infinately a better designed motor, better yet get a 2jz or an ss ute and supercharge it...

Turbo 6 is nice but blown 8 is better

Edited by doozooby

Toy!

I have four years of full-time university left, so it will be public transport 5 days a week! I have owned two Ford Falcon's before and found them much more convenient to own than the GT25. During the four years I will be doing bookkeeping work so should have regular cash inflow.

I am quite a Ford fanatic and the xr6t was my first preference until I saw how 'cheap' the Typhoons are currently in the market.

Get the FPV. Cheaper parts, can actually fit people in it, cheaper insurance, and has heaps more potential with minimal spending on modification.

all good points, but still always gonna be a falcodore and will fail hard at the first corner

look better

get off the drugs dude

not to mention, i'd take a 300rwkw skyline over a 400rwkw falcon anyday... (cost of mods will be similar for that kinda power)

The problem with the falcons is they cant put down the power, an FG XR6 turbo actually does the 0-100 sprint and the quarter mile faster than the new FG F6. Sure the F6 is a weapon but its actually no faster than the XR6 turbo, in actually fact its slow because of the single large turbo taking longer to boost. In a test done by wheels it was found that the fastest Ford or Holden including FPV and HSV was the G6E turbo. As far as the Boss V8s go they are loud and give instant power, brilliant engines but the Turbo 6's smash them. At a car show last year I was talking to a ford spokesman and apparently they under rate the power and torque of the XR6T and the F6 so people still buy the Boss V8's, how much I couldnt squeeze the info out of him but I would imagine considering the acceleration figures probably 30-40kw.

Edited by FrangaR33

I saw a stock standard FG F6 run the quarter mile at Wsid, it had a cold air kit, it did 12.8 at 112 mph

I too have seen them running awesome times, theres a guy in qld will build u a 9 second package for about 15k

but have also heard they have major issues with the head especially, and gearboxes, they dont seem to like being thrashed , also there a tank when compared to a skyline, the BA anyway, the FG is a better car....G6Et would be my choice too , nice classy looking car that one...

I Still reckon the v8 is :woot: dont care what the times say, it just is

I too have seen them running awesome times, theres a guy in qld will build u a 9 second package for about 15k

but have also heard they have major issues with the head especially, and gearboxes, they dont seem to like being thrashed , also there a tank when compared to a skyline, the BA anyway, the FG is a better car....G6Et would be my choice too , nice classy looking car that one...

I Still reckon the v8 is :woot: dont care what the times say, it just is

i would go the xr8 ....then twin turbo it....easy 420+rwkw and i hv seen them but then would you want to spend that much money upgrading it....you will be looking at 15 to 20G.....

One of my good friends used to sell FPVs for 3 years. He owns a built XR6T. Being nearly 2 tonne the thing gets the power to the ground no problem at all.

Every single suspension component has been upgraded so doesnt handle too bad. But as i said its a 2 tonne car.

All the 8s are nuggets compared to the 6Ts. Even the GTs.

Having driven all of them the pick would be a 6sp F6 auto. One of the quickest standard cars ive been in.

And to the OP the Ford would be the safest bet, considering most skylines parked in Uni car parks go missing soon or later.

You can park my friends car anywhere and you wouldnt know it had over 400kw.