SAU Community

Ford F6 Typhoon Vs R34 Gtt

^^^ hence why i reckon the G6Et is so nice, very sedate looking car

But why is it my 93 skyline has been flogged silly for ages with barely a hiccup, and my friends 04 xr6 turbo is f**ked with heaps less kms on the clock....Fords do go hard but they are not built to be flogged like the ricers.....

All depends how you drive i guess what suits you more..

Still reckon the V8 is tuffer, no need for turbos, cams and headwork will have it moving..

Edited by doozooby

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At 35k I'd be looking around and test driving a few other cars.

35k will get you a mint condition 2000+ model RZ Supra, or a heavily worked one, and we all know what kind of weapons a worked 2J can be.

An Evo 8 MR is affordable too, and nearly as practical as the Typhoon. STi's fall in this bracket too.

If you're brave you could get a series 8 RX7. I love those cars to bits, but rotaries can be expensive to maintain.

Toy!

I have four years of full-time university left, so it will be public transport 5 days a week! I have owned two Ford Falcon's before and found them much more convenient to own than the GT25. During the four years I will be doing bookkeeping work so should have regular cash inflow.

I am quite a Ford fanatic and the xr6t was my first preference until I saw how 'cheap' the Typhoons are currently in the market.

Mate, from my own experience, don't buy a nice car while you're studying full time. You'll be putting yourself under enormous financial pressure. Just wait until you finish uni and then get your toy :P

haha. I want to know what your secret is if you can drop 35K on a car while going to uni!

For that money, i'd buy a nice 25K R33gtr, and save the other 10K for some light mods and general maintence, especially considering that its a weekend car, and if something broke on it, you could just catch the bus, so reliability isn't that much of an issue.

is an r34 gtt really going to cost more in maint?

oil, oil filter, fuel filter and brake pads. would be the same?

tyres. same?

fuel econ. same? or is the r34 a little better?

r34 will need a 100k service and maybe gearbox and diff oil. but the ford is going to need a mid service in there somewhere, 30-40k?

just to make your choice harder, r33 gtst with nice mods and a small efficient daily. imo ford or r34, after 3 years of daily it will end up very tired at

the end of it.

tyres. same?

Surely replacement pads for the GT-t wouldn't cost as much as the replacement pads for the F6's Brembo brakes?

I reckon the F6 would be thirstier, bigger engine and bigger car. Both will be expensive if you drive like an idiot.

R34 is more expensive to insure, tyres would probably be cheaper as F6's come with 18's and 19's from factory, unless of course you fit 18's or 19's to an R34.

R34 as said is older and replacement parts are more expensive.

Another vote here for not getting anything nice while you're studying, unless you've got money to burn. Plenty of time to get something nice after.

At 35k I'd be looking around and test driving a few other cars.

35k will get you a mint condition 2000+ model RZ Supra, or a heavily worked one, and we all know what kind of weapons a worked 2J can be.

An Evo 8 MR is affordable too, and nearly as practical as the Typhoon. STi's fall in this bracket too.

If you're brave you could get a series 8 RX7. I love those cars to bits, but rotaries can be expensive to maintain.

2JZ I would love to buy and own - but two members in my family have just purchased one each, so looking for something different. They're absolute animals I agree.

Not interested in an STi although the Evo 8 sounds quite tempting....might consider looking in to it!

haha. I want to know what your secret is if you can drop 35K on a car while going to uni!

For that money, i'd buy a nice 25K R33gtr, and save the other 10K for some light mods and general maintence, especially considering that its a weekend car, and if something broke on it, you could just catch the bus, so reliability isn't that much of an issue.

Haha yeah been working full-time studying part-time for the two years straight after my HSC in 2007 so have saved up a bit of cash. Will be getting a bit of help from the folks as well. Will not be taking out a loan to finance it.

Thats a good alternative also...don't want a 33GT-R though....I love the 32GT-R shape but theyre too old and 34GT-R's are too dear.

tyres. same?

r34 will need a 100k service and maybe gearbox and diff oil. but the ford is going to need a mid service in there somewhere, 30-40k?

just to make your choice harder, r33 gtst with nice mods and a small efficient daily. imo ford or r34, after 3 years of daily it will end up very tired at

the end of it.

Will be using the car as a weekend car only, with weekday driving a rarity. Ive had my non-turbo 34 for two years...and man I've just had to deal with too much crap looking for and paying a premium for certain parts. It's really put me off buying a 10+ year old car.

Thanks for all the input fellas!! Keep it coming!

Mark - cheers mate...I will be making quite a big financial commitment purchasing either of the mentioned cars, but I will have regular cash inflow during my years at uni.

Dad has recommended the G6E turbo this morning...Says he might pitch in a bit more if I go for that.

G6E turbo's are nice... Big car though.

For 35k there is ALOT in your price range... test drive as much as possible and make sure you know what you need before you do.

IMO evo's are an awesome car in that you can take 4 people in relative comfort and still be stupidly fun.

2JZ I would love to buy and own - but two members in my family have just purchased one each, so looking for something different. They're absolute animals I agree.

Not interested in an STi although the Evo 8 sounds quite tempting....might consider looking in to it!

Haha yeah been working full-time studying part-time for the two years straight after my HSC in 2007 so have saved up a bit of cash. Will be getting a bit of help from the folks as well. Will not be taking out a loan to finance it.

Thats a good alternative also...don't want a 33GT-R though....I love the 32GT-R shape but theyre too old and 34GT-R's are too dear.

Will be using the car as a weekend car only, with weekday driving a rarity. Ive had my non-turbo 34 for two years...and man I've just had to deal with too much crap looking for and paying a premium for certain parts. It's really put me off buying a 10+ year old car.

Thanks for all the input fellas!! Keep it coming!

Mark - cheers mate...I will be making quite a big financial commitment purchasing either of the mentioned cars, but I will have regular cash inflow during my years at uni.

Dad has recommended the G6E turbo this morning...Says he might pitch in a bit more if I go for that.

If dads chipping in you gotta go the G6E turbo, the ultimate sleeper with ZF 6spd auto and will destroy even GTR's unless they launch like pros :P

Typhoon bah!! ..get the FPV GT Boss 290.....a real mans car

As for skyline being a 15 year old car the ford 6 is an over 30 year old engine,remembering ford were running the 250 in the 70s... sure its had some upgrades but its an old fart and the RB is infinately a better designed motor, better yet get a 2jz or an ss ute and supercharge it...

Turbo 6 is nice but blown 8 is better

engine in the ba onwards is night and day compared to the SOHC in the previous models. not saying its on RB or JZ level but it has come a long way with its development. extremely easy to make power out of them. and hoold together ok as long as you dont rev them hard. this isnt as much as a problem as your usable rev range is lower because you have the extra torque from it being a 4L opposed to a 2.5/6 in the skyline. Standard turbo is great on Ba/Bf models and wont be replaced. are some complications with the standard turbos on the FG's though as the turbo varies between the xr6t and the typhoons.

the best advice i could give would be for you to answer 1 vital question. "How long do you plan on keeping the car for?"

i would say that if you plan on keeping the car for a decent amount of time i would strongly suggest getting a nissan over a falcon. the overall build quality (including mechanically) is FAR FAR superior. i see FG's that have oil leaks in less then 10,000K's.they are a pain to stop them leaking oil.

if you were going to spend 35K i would seriously consider getting a BF Mk2 6spd Auto and spend a little money on it. you will make some good snort out of it for cheap. will beat a lot on the road as it will put the power down with the 6spd if you drive it correctly.

Hiya Shanil,

My sister's husband has the G6Et. It's really quite a nice car with lots of extras that you'd appreciate + good torque.

Weekend car? Well it's still going to step out on you going up Mac Pass compared to the R33 GT-R.

Took a convoy of cars up there and back down Cambewarra Mtn. A dentist friend (with plenty of experience around Wakefield) in his Typhoon became unnerved at the way he kept on losing his rear end - admittedly there was wet tarmac in patches.

You say that that you'd rarely take your car on weekdays to Uni? I'd hope so. Either one is a thief magnet. The GT-R more so...

And I don't trust inexperienced parkers who are asian like myself hahaha

Nah, my brother-in-law has had no probs with his G6Et over 12 months (unlike his daughter's Mondeo lemon or my sister's Focus yellow tinge). If you get a 1 yr old car - whilst taking advantage of its horrendous 1st yr depreciation - can the car's fault codes be brought up thoughout its history like a BMW DME computer? Worthwhile investigating?

Tez

I too have seen them running awesome times, theres a guy in qld will build u a 9 second package for about 15k

but have also heard they have major issues with the head especially, and gearboxes, they dont seem to like being thrashed , also there a tank when compared to a skyline, the BA anyway, the FG is a better car....G6Et would be my choice too , nice classy looking car that one...

I Still reckon the v8 is ;) dont care what the times say, it just is

No NO NO.... V8's are dead.. even Ford know this the Boss has less torque and kw then the Turbo engine and the v8 is a heavier engine. Makes you wonder why they call it the Boss, it has less power then the HSV LS3. hehe had to throw that in. ow an most important fact.. More expensive REGO!!

Skylines aren't drag cars they corner well also.

^^^^ This is very true and always seams to be forgotten. (especially by our American friends. lol) A Skyline will always handle better.post-41401-1262485865.gif

I guess at the end of the day you have to buy the car you like the best and suits you, personally prefer the import due to better build quality, seam to hold their value better, features, power (keep in mind the year they were built and compare to holden/ford of the same time.) and just pure sexy good looks.. lol

Just my opinion and good luck with it. :O

p.s. just because your at uni doesn't mean you shouldn't have fun as long as its in your budget there is no point being boring.. :bunny:

typhoon wins hands down.

for ver little $$ if you do full exhaust, cooler and a flash edit you would be looking at close to 300rwkw and it will handle it with no problems at all. clutch might give but thats not an issue. to get similar power out of the GTT you will be spending well over 5k for that. and that is not promising any reliability.

but if your not that worried about power and love handling better then with little spending get it up to 200rwkw and some decent coilovers and rubbers and it will run rings around the typhoon in handling as it wont feel as boat like.

owning a GTT with okayish power and decent set of coilovers i love the way it handles. out runs mates FPV through the twisites in no time. but come the straights then bye bye me lol.

so if yuo want power go the typhoon. if you want handling go the GTT. (buy my gtt lol)

(buy my gtt lol)

hahaha smoooooth

my 2c.. yes you may have 300rwkw easily and be stupidly quick in a straight line, but at the end of the day you're still driving a ford falcon. and it's a lot of money to pay for a taxi with a hot motor and bright orange paint

Skyline aren't drag cars they corner well also.

Maybe after you sink a couple of grand into the suspension. Otherwise, its still more a grand tourer than a touge weapon.

It depends on what the OP is after. If its just a street cruiser with a lot of poke, an XR6T with the same suspension mods you'd inevitably do to the Skyline would corner well enough...but pull a lot harder and be more practical.

If dads chipping in you gotta go the G6E turbo, the ultimate sleeper with ZF 6spd auto and will destroy even GTR's unless they launch like pros

How "professional" do you need to be to sidestep the clutch while banging the engine off the cutout?

even Ford know this the Boss has less torque and kw then the Turbo engine and the v8 is a heavier engine. Makes you wonder why they call it the Boss

If its anything like most of the bosses I've had over the years, it's because it makes a shitload of noise but doesn't do any meaningful work.

at the end of the day you're still driving a ford falcon. and it's a lot of money to pay for a taxi with a hot motor and bright orange paint

A non-GT-R Skyline isn't exactly some kind of ultra-fast halo model that'll make millionaires turn their heads and melt the panties off the ladies. The only people it attracts are pimply-faced youths who don't realise its missing front driveshafts, and the cops.

It's just the a car that isn't even good enough to be a taxi in its native soil, with a hairdryer on its small motor and the rear doors welded shut.

A non-GT-R Skyline isn't exactly some kind of ultra-fast halo model that'll make millionaires turn their heads and melt the panties off the ladies. The only people it attracts are pimply-faced youths who don't realise its missing front driveshafts, and the cops.

It's just the a car that isn't even good enough to be a taxi in its native soil, with a hairdryer on its small motor and the rear doors welded shut.

+1

What I have learnt during the last three years but couldn't put it in to words. Could not have been put together any better.

How "professional" do you need to be to sidestep the clutch while banging the engine off the cutout?

What I meant was how many people can launch their GTR and even get close to the 0-100km/h in the official figures of around 4.9 seconds, very few, you need skills to know what rpm to launch to not make a total hash of it, which im sure we've all seen a fair few times. While with the ZF G6E turbo you'd have to be at least partially retarded to screw it up, at least from what i've seen on road tests. The easily get to 100 in 5.0-5.1 seconds almost everytime.

i have to say that no matter how much money you spend on suspension on any BA/F or FG they still wont be able to go around corners any good.

I used to think the same about Aussie cars till I saw a 2004 Monaro win the Sandown 500 one year, yeah it was modified to the hilt but it beat out GT3 Cup cars, Lambos, Ferraris and even GTR's fell in its wake, Sandown is a power track but still.

I used to think the same about Aussie cars till I saw a 2004 Monaro win the Sandown 500 one year, yeah it was modified to the hilt but it beat out GT3 Cup cars, Lambos, Ferraris and even GTR's fell in its wake, Sandown is a power track but still.

a cv8 is hardly a comparison to the falcons in question. and im not making this comment because i dont like fords or aussie cars, i talk from experience.

dont get me wrong though, (i know its not wat your looking for in this thread just saying though) i would actually own an Fg F6 for a daily driver. if money wasnt an issue the Fg's are a much much nicer car as a whole then the BF.