SAU Community

Ford F6 Typhoon Vs R34 Gtt

my mum has a 530i with the sports package upgrade (m5 wheels, suspension and little things here and there) and i wouldn't take it over speed bumps very quickly car feels about as rough as my stock suspension r34 likely due to having the slightly lowered sportier m series suspension in it but still i can't see them going over speed bumps as comfortably what bmw was it that you used?

Was a 3 series of some description, and wasnt lowered...but i was comparing it to a stock vx

But now you got me thinking maybe its a weight issue....

most cars with sports setups are horrible over bumps, my sky will travel over speedhumps pretty smoothly, but it has nearly thrown me sideways on dips before..bit scary....

Edited by faggywaggy

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my mum has a 530i with the sports package upgrade (m5 wheels, suspension and little things here and there) and i wouldn't take it over speed bumps very quickly car feels about as rough as my stock suspension r34 likely due to having the slightly lowered sportier m series suspension in it but still i can't see them going over speed bumps as comfortably what bmw was it that you used?

If your Mum's 530i is the E39 series, they need to have their front end bushes replaced at about 100,000Km. Other than that, they're rated worldwide as being one of the best cars around for ride/longevity/desirability.

you want comfort buy a bmw or a merc..you never realize how shitty australian cars suspension is until you,ve driven some euro trash...

Also people are amazed at how quickly i can take speed humps in the skyline with bilstein suspension, which i believe is also eurotrash...

We did a test one day down a street with speeed humps first the standard commodore rather bouncy and shit, then in the bmw, just sapped the bumps up effortlessly, it was this day i became a fan the bmw....another copmparison was a FE2 commodore vs a subaru liberty down a bumpy gravel road, the subaru flew down the road at 80 no worries, the commodore couldnt do 40 and it shook the f**k out of it....

In conclusion, aussie cars are great out on the freeways on long hauls but around town they are rubbish...just depends where you plan to drive, i can understand someone needing a 2 tonne car if you your daily commute is 50kms of open freeway to work, but when you drive 5kms on suburban streets, then try to park it in a shopping centre carpark its just silly

must've been a pretty shitty ride, or maybe the commodore had big wheels, but i used to live up a dirt road and been in many cars up it at reasonable speed (up to 80kmh+) in both a commodore and falcon, and when the suspension was still relatively new they rode it very well. going up in a mates vn commodore with close to 300,000kms on the clock on original suspension was a different story though. even my lowered falcon wasn't too bad. with my vx commodore it was fine on the stock 15" rims, however it was a touch rougher with the 17's but still not that bad. was far worse in a 4wd hilux

Both are straight 6 and where Ford has more power it is also heavier.

If not already posted this may help you decide:

correct me if i'm wrong, but the gold falcon still only has stock suspension where as the white 34 has aftermarket suspension, so in stock form they say the xr6t feels better, but then they go on to say that the modified 34 handles better but all they are really comparing it to is the stock suspension. not quite a fair comparison. other than that it's not bad.

correct me if i'm wrong, but the gold falcon still only has stock suspension where as the white 34 has aftermarket suspension, so in stock form they say the xr6t feels better, but then they go on to say that the modified 34 handles better but all they are really comparing it to is the stock suspension. not quite a fair comparison. other than that it's not bad.

I seemed to think they found the modified Skyline the quicker car even though it had less kW. They also point out that if you want to modify your car then the Skyline has more potential.

I think a better comparison would have been a manual Skyline with suspension, exhaust and tune up against the same for the XR6T. The first round comparison the XR6T was a manual whereas the Skyline was tiptronic both times. The Skyline coupe also produces less roll then the four door variant which would have played a part.

I personally like both. I like the practicality of the XR6T as it has four doors & good low down torque, but it is a heavy car. As an everyday driver I would take this as they are a very easy & comfortable car to drive.

If I wanted to do some track work occasionally, modifcations and wanted the better looking car I would take the R34GTT. I suppose the absence of 2 doors on the coupe doesn't matter too much as I wouldn't be sitting in the back anyway :rant: Or you could just get a 4 door.

Whichever it was I would go for a manual though!

must've been a pretty shitty ride, or maybe the commodore had big wheels, but i used to live up a dirt road and been in many cars up it at reasonable speed (up to 80kmh+) in both a commodore and falcon, and when the suspension was still relatively new they rode it very well. going up in a mates vn commodore with close to 300,000kms on the clock on original suspension was a different story though. even my lowered falcon wasn't too bad. with my vx commodore it was fine on the stock 15" rims, however it was a touch rougher with the 17's but still not that bad. was far worse in a 4wd hilux

twas a vn 5ltr fe2 15 inch rims........newer ones will ride better but still shakes the buggery out of the car...subaru was smooth