SAU Community

Gtr R33 And Gtr R33 V-spec

vrkt33

R33 GTR V-Spec's had stiffer suspension + a lower ride height.

An updated ATTESA E-TS Pro all wheel drive system + an Active Limited Slip differential (Active LSD).

Four wheel independent channel anti-lock braking system.

The car weighted an extra 10 kg.

If you're looking to buy an R33, you'll notice many of them are Vspec's anyway. If they're modified (which most of them are to some extent), then the differences between the two models become largely irrelevant.

Are you looking to buy one or is this just a general question?

When purchasing my R33 GTR 8 months ago, I drove both V-Spec and non V-Spec and could not tell the difference, as the non GTR that I ended up buying had Tein Coilovers and there was no difference that i could tell. I presume you might notice a slight difference if you were using it as a track car. that is another reason why I chose the non V-Spec, as it was a little more unlikely to be used as a consistant track car in the past.

I have to say the VSPEC feels a bit stiffer and corners slightly better...besides that, it's just the internal trim and a few other items that are noticable. If it's a huge price difference, I wouldn't bother going Vspec.

I ended up with one as the price was so good for mine. Good luck.

I have to say the VSPEC feels a bit stiffer and corners slightly better...besides that, it's just the internal trim and a few other items that are noticable

Nothing in the interior is different btw the vspec and non-vspec....

R33 GTR V-Spec's had stiffer suspension + a lower ride height.

An updated ATTESA E-TS Pro all wheel drive system + an Active Limited Slip differential (Active LSD).

Four wheel independent channel anti-lock braking system

this man speaks the truth.

Nothing in the interior is different btw the vspec and non-vspec....

this man speaks the truth.

Hey mate...I can only speak from my own vspec GTR...seat trip is better - has purple stitching along the sides and material is different from my mate's GTR. Also, side inserts are different...correct if I'm wrong but from what I've seen those are the differences.

it was just a general question as i had brought a midnight purple r33 gtr v-spec and i was told they had a better diff or something along those lines and a mate was saying there was no difference in them...

yes as posted above the vpsec has the active LSD diff in the rear

if you look underneath your diff will have fins on the cover, normal GTR doesn't have fins

instead of normal viscous LSD its computer controlled LSD

when the computer detects wheel spin (seperate to the AWD computer)

it locks the rear diff and the slip light on the dash will come on

is it better? maybe

mine sucks ass

The main place you will notice the difference is on the track. Last December at Winton I raced both my r33 GTR non Vspec, and also went in an R34 Vspec. The difference in cornering is quite noticable. On hard cornering, my car tends to lock up the inner rear tyre somewhat, but if you set it up right - slow in fast out - it still hauls ass and slingshots out of the corner. In the R34 Vspec it felt like the guy could throw the car into the corner any which way and as long as he kept his foot on the gas the car would just pull itself straight. The Vspec LSDs adjust touque split not only front to back, but also side to side. You can feel the car putting less torque to the inside rear tyre on hard cornering, pulling the car around at warp speed with what appears to be minimum driver effort. I wish I had bought the Vspec, but I still love driving mine.

it was just a general question as i had brought a midnight purple r33 gtr v-spec and i was told they had a better diff or something along those lines and a mate was saying there was no difference in them...

if you plan on chasing power non-Vspec is the way to go... the diff is the strongest of the GTR diffs and can be easily upgraded for more aggressive lock as its mechanical/clutch pack type

The Vspec diff is viscous (fluid) like the GTSt diff and can't really be modified... and as Paul has stated they kinda suck ass;)

ah yeah thats right, i remember ben saying the vspec diff is a bastard to upgrade and its too small to shim inside it or very little room

mine is sometimes the greatest thing ever, other times its hopeless

the only distinct advantage i found with the vspec was it looks like it predicts wheelspin sometimes

i found on the great ocean rd on some of the sweepers if you gave it curry

the slip would come on even though it wasnt actually slipping, almost as if it was predicting wheelspin (from lateral force sensors)

kinda groovey

but otherwise hopeless

i should try and shim it and see what happens

yeah I think for a standard car, or lightly modded they work great... just if your planning to do power upgrades or get serious about track work its best to go for the non Vspec diff

one of the best mods I did for the old car was ditch the standard LSD... it was just unpredictable, made it hard to drive the car fast... but then again it was pretty shagged

must admit I've never driven GTR or GTSt with the active diff so I'm half talking out my arse;)

the seat colour trim is different between series 1,2 and 3

it's not related to vspec or non vspec

the colour purple is series 1 and 2

the colour red is series 3

You are correct paul.

As for my vspec diff, it seems to work great both on the road and on the track....too be honest if I'm cornering hard enough to loose grip in the R the last thing I'm looking at is the dash so I can't really say how often the slip light comes on. It seems the only time they suck is when they are being modified or they break.

• 7 years later...

Hey fella's

Apologies on bringing up a pretty old thread. But I have purchased / rescued a 1995 s1 none v-spec gtr as it was the only original mnp and completely stock gtr within my reach.

And I am curious about the lower/stiffer suspension of the v-spec? Can anyone list the actual differences in the suspension components between an s1 vspec and s1 none vpec?

Thank you!

Congrats on the purchase - these things are only going up in value!

I believe it's a 10mm ride height difference and this should be in the springs themselves. No reason they can't be swapped between the two and any 33R suspension will fit it.