SAU Community

My R31 Grip Car Build

After having a drift car for a couple of years (and doing a stunning job of writing it off), i decided it was time to build a new car, but with grip laps in mind. Less chance of me majorly damaging the car if i go offline. I am currently on my second shell as the first one id picked up was a bit ragged (and i really wish id picked up the other car he had.....found out it was an ex Gibson Motorsport HR31 shell, unused in racing but ready to hav stuff dropped into).

Basic specs

Car

1990 R31 Skyline S3 Exec sedan

Engine / Driveline (planned stuff in italics as i havent got to them at the time of writing this)

RB20DET ECCS (silvertop)

High mount manifold

Custom made forward facing plenum

Garrett GT3071R (external gate version)

Tial 38mm external wastegate

550cc Siemens injectors

450x300 FMIC

Remote located oil filter and oil cooler kit

Redtop RB20 rocker / cam gear covers (for a bit of classic look)

RB25DET (series 1 r33) 5 speed box

Exedy Sports Tuff 5 puck ceramic single plate clutch

Custom 1 piece tailshaft with VLT yoke

Live axle rear end with 28 spline axles (standard)

Minispooled centre, 3.89 diff ratio (factory auto ratio)

Interior

Gutted dash

Aluminium panel to fill cluster and vents/heater controls/stereo openings

VDO Gauges (oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, boost, volts, tacho)

Apexi RSM (speedo) - only because i already had it

Custom switch panel (as most of the stalks / factory buttons will be removed)

- battery iso

- fuel pump

- ignition

- start button

- hazard lights

- wipers

- etc etc

2x Sparco Sprint V fixed back seats (black)

2x TRS 5 point harnesses (red)

Willwood pedal box for brake and clutch pedals

Tilton master cylinders

Willwood remote Brake Bias Adjustment cable (dash mount knob)

Full cage (with extra side intrusion bracing)

Internal door skins being cut out to save weight

Perspex door windows

Front/Rear glass remains standard

Suspension / Wheels / Tyres

ISC N1 Coilovers (S13) with front camber tops

Custom front K frame with S13 power steering rack, S13 LCAs (re-drilled to suit R31 swaybar link mounts) extended tie rod ends and roll centre adjustment

Whiteline 26mm front and rear swaybars

Rota RB wheels - 17x9 (-13) front, 255/40/17 Toyo R888

17x9.5 (-19) rear, 255/40/17 Toyo R888

Exterior

Standard white respray

Kit of some form (not R31House as i dont quite have that much coin)

100mm CBY overfenders (as i have to contain the wheels somehow lol)

Thats the starting point...............heres a few pics of where its at right now

CameraDownload1646.jpg

CameraDownload1645.jpg

CameraDownload1653.jpg

P1351_05-01-10.jpg

P135002_05-01-10.jpg

P135001_05-01-10.jpg

P1350_05-01-10.jpg

P1747_07-01-10.jpg

P174801_07-01-10.jpg

P174901_07-01-10.jpg

P1750_07-01-10.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow.. this will be interesting to see what sort of machine this turns out to be... not many, if any, aussie R31s built for grip duties..

kudos to you for doing what i could not.. spend ridiculous amount of money in unkown territory.

thanks for the positive comments so far. In essence, sinking 10k into it really isnt that much to sink into a 31, could easily spend more if i wanted to go completely stupid. a lot of the money is being saved by doing a lot of fabrication myself (or at least with the help of my mates). Plus i know my way around a 31 pretty well now, so will try and develop as much as i can before moving chassis

the important stuff always costs, but ive worked out it can be used again in future projects (seats, steering wheel, fuel cell, engine/box package, suspension depending on what chassis i decide to move to in future)

I must say 31 arnt that hard to work your way around.

Tho I know what you mean about 10k I think mine owes me about 12k already.

Was there anything off your drift car that was worth saving for this one?

I must say 31 arnt that hard to work your way around.

Tho I know what you mean about 10k I think mine owes me about 12k already.

Was there anything off your drift car that was worth saving for this one?

the only thing ive really kept from the skidder is the motor, swaybars and the diff. was only running a mid 150rwkw setup with stock turbo in that car, so stock turbo and RB20 box / clutch were really going to be out-ranked here. I just had some generic jap Bride copy seat and a Personal wheel and a 4 point harness.........and some cheapie gauges that were effing useless half the time

not a lot has been done, as there was an issue with the shell rego wise (long story, but i want to be able to use it for tarmac rally down the track so need to be able to register it), but thats been sorted out. put a hold on things happening for a good 7-8 weeks

this weekend im utilising to the max (i have an RDO monday, so 4 day weekend w00t). getting some dry ice and doing the sound deadening, and removing the rest of the un-neccesary crap. brake pedal and booster / master cylinder has to come out.

got hold of my new coilovers tonight, so they might be heading towards being bolted in sometime soon too. the main holdup i have at the moment is waiting for the latest shipment of wheels to arrive at Otomoto, its not till mid february. Once they've arrived we can finalise the amount of work needed on the guards. once the basic prep has been done she can go off and be caged up, then it all gets cracking from there

Can i ask where you got the Wilwood pedals/masters from and how much?

I would love a set for my car...but looks like a lot of work to get them to fit nicely

I got them through Peter Hall at Autosport here in adelaide http://www.autosportdirect.com.au. All up with master cylinders and the bias adjuster it was a bit over 1100 bucks

lol, no brendan, the bank has too much money available to me. Latest update - nothing lol. Gavin and I are heading out today to swap my diff (much to my fabricator's disgust as he hates pushing my car around with the locker in) plus we thought it was worth chuckin the k frame and the ISCs in

Flipmo, all i know this far about the custom K frame is it was modified off the original R31 item, but has been made to suit an S13 power steering rack. It also for some reason sits the engine about an inch further forward, which seems rather odd to me. will hunt some pics out later on

Details on those pedals mate?

Ie price and where from!

I got them through Peter Hall at Autosport here in adelaide http://www.autosportdirect.com.au. All up with master cylinders and the bias adjuster it was a bit over 1100 bucks

there ya go mate, someone had asked before about it

serious progress will be on a slow start over the next couple of weeks. rear coils and the locker went in yesterday, but theres a few minor details i gotta chase up (a few bolts here and there)