SAU Community

R31 Vs R32 Vs R33 Vs R34 - Which Is The Best Skyline

Your thread seems to ascertain the interpretation & meaning of SKYLINE CRED

As I remember (because I'm old enough)...

The R31 was making its mark as being a giant killer in the 80s. During its R & D, Group A cars were taken to their limits and blew quite a few turbos + turbo development was on a giant growth curve.

The R32 GT-R killed everything that was pitted against it in Japan and here - so much so that it earned the Wheels Mag title "Godzilla"

Andy Middlehurst the racing driver in the UK & owner of a Nissan dealership not far from Manchester took an active interest in what was happening - what with the advent of a 'Supercar'. Wheels mag announced that this R32 GT-R was a Sierra & V8-slayer.

The R33 GT-R earned its stripes by being the 1st production car to achieve a sub-8 minute time around Nurburgring against all comers including the R32 GT-R, Porsches, Mercedes & Jags (thanks to Shoisman's driving). The Jaguar company would like to dispute that, but that's another story. Kirosawa also did brilliant times in the R33 around the 'Ring, beating times by NSXs and Porsches.

The R34 GT-R maintained the Skyline CRED with its performance, its looks and association with SONY, which by the way, has carried across to the R35 (without the Skyline moniker). The R34 was more neutral through the apex of a sweeper than either the R32 (with slight understeer) or the R33 (with slight oversteer).

That's my memory of the development of CRED - and I'm happy to stick to that. :)

Again, congrats to NISSAN Motor Co.

• 9 years later...
On 1/18/2010 at 6:31 PM, MRSAMO said:

I watched them raced in Group A racing in Australia with George Fury at the wheel and enjoyed watching the blue/white/red cars take on the locals (which they did very well). I think that was when I became a fan.

George Fury drove a turbo Bluebird and DR30 Skyline. Jim Richards drove the HR31 GTS-R Skyline.

I own a GTS-X HR31, im a big fan of them. But id probably choose a R34 GTR. Looks cool and aggressive, particularly in R34 Nismo Z-Tune.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2010 at 4:43 PM, Red-Dragon said:

Found some specs on the net stating that R32GTR weighs 1480kg, R32GTR V-SPEC 1500kg and the R33GTR 1530kg. Realisticly the 33GTR is only 50kg heavier but has a better drive train, newer motor and produces more power.

You have to remember that not all the weight was due to the new design.....ABS, airbags, emissions, side intrusion, crumple zones etc all contributed to each successive models increase or struggle to reduce weight.  Not saying each model had nothing/everything, but the shifting safety goalposts and expectations certainly had an effect.  Model weight is always an uneven comparison method.  If you want more...there is a trade off.

1 hour ago, BakemonoRicer said:

The R33 is the ultimate out of the bunch, its a road registered cannonball and its performance because of its longer wheelbase is superlative to the rest

What are you basing these statements on, Or you just regurgitating the dribble you have read or the best motoring subtitles?

A stock GTR will get CHOPPED by a newish auto V6 Camry and so would your car so put the pipe down son...

I will borrow my brother in-laws Punjabi express and line you up when your clutch is fixed.. I will even leave it in D & not use sports mode to help even things up if you like?

In fact I will even put piggy in the passengers seat along with our boxes of piss in the boot I'm that confident! 

Have you actually track driven all 3 models HARD to form this opinion? I'm guessing not? 

Driving piggies car in a straight line doesn't count. 

Nor does driving your car up and down "the strip" trying to see "who's looking at you in your GTR"  in Bondi count, your car has done more km's on a tilt tray than you have spent behind the wheel.

Hate to break it to you but generally speaking shorter wheel base cars make for a more responsive better cornering car. 

E.g.. MX5's, 86/BRZ, RX7's, Evo's etc 

46 minutes ago, Mick_o said:

What are you basing these statements on, Or you just regurgitating the dribble you have read or the best motoring subtitles?

A stock GTR will get CHOPPED by a newish auto V6 Camry and so would your car so put the pipe down son...

I will borrow my brother in-laws Punjabi express and line you up when your clutch is fixed.. I will even leave it in D & not use sports mode to help even things up if you like? 

In fact I will even put piggy in the passengers seat along with our boxes of piss in the boot I'm that confident! 

Have you actually track driven all 3 models HARD to form this opinion? I'm guessing not? 

Driving piggies car in a straight line doesn't count.  

Nor does driving your car up and down "the strip" trying to see "who's looking at you in your GTR"  in Bondi count, your car has done more km's on a tilt tray than you have spent behind the wheel. 

Hate to break it to you but generally speaking shorter wheel base cars make for a more responsive better cornering car. 

E.g.. MX5's, 86/BRZ, RX7's, Evo's etc  

The R is getting KV8'ed and E85'ed as we speak. I'll leave your evo super lemon in the dust.

And just about the time you catch your breath,  the S15 will be done & I'll spatter AD08R all over your windshield. Mivec's not going to help you mate. I've got a NAPREC head, and I'm going to hold it hard and flat all the way to redline.

So I'll take you down with not one, but two cars. Game on cowboy, yeeeeee-ha

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BakemonoRicer said:

The R is getting KV8'ed and E85'ed as we speak. I'll leave your evo super lemon in the dust.

And just about the time you catch your breath,  the S15 will be done & I'll spatter AD08R all over your windshield. Mivec's not going to help you mate. I've got a NAPREC head, and I'm going to hold it hard and flat all the way to redline.

So I'll take you down with not one, but two cars. Game on cowboy, yeeeeee-ha

HAHAHAHA! So you will make the same or probably less power than my car and be heavier with longer gearing? 

And will still be 1000+rpm laggier than mine?  ?

S15  is running what gearbox & diff you run bro? 

Oh stock 6 speed? Good luck getting off the dyno man... 

46 minutes ago, Mick_o said:

HAHAHAHA! So you will make the same or probably less power than my car and be heavier with longer gearing? 

And will still be 1000+rpm laggier than mine?  ?

S15  is running what gearbox & diff you run bro?  

Oh stock 6 speed? Good luck getting off the dyno man...  

What you are forgetting is that the R will be a torque monster.....

& the 15 will be a NASA rocket, as long as the gearbox/diff holds.......

• Confused 1

I think we've had this topic before. But here's my thoughts.

R32: People love it cause its the original and it's the car that began the whole mythology. It's racing pedigree is A+.

R33: The ugly duckling, didnt move the goalposts like the 32. The bargain GTR if you dont mind it's looks (like me).

R34: Angular and modern (ish) people loved the multi function screen. Was a fast and capable car at a bargain price compared to other cars at the time.
Annnnnd of course Paul Walker popularised them drastically in the US.

Which one's best? The one in your driveway! (or possibly your wifes one in the driveway [emoji23]).
It's each to their own here, people are going to buy the ones they want and change them to suit their requirements.

If you're buying a GTR because other people like them you're doing it wrong.

R32-31-30-34-33

Yes, other than a 32 GTR I would rather a R31 GTS-R than any of the others.

30, watched it racing at Bathurst, would like a RS 

31, watched it racing at Bathurst, would like a GTS-R 

32,  watched it racing at Bathurst, would like a GTR 

34, looks OK, designed by a kid?

33, I had a boat, has not aged well, reminds me of a Toyota Soarer.

On a related subject, lots of trash talk with no lap times.

Do any of these cars actually run?

In finishing up, I wish I didn't sell my 31 Wagon, that thing was mint...?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hattori hanzo said:

I have always said with an unlimited budget: 

R32 GTR - Dedicated circuit racing car 

R33 GTR - Dedicated Drag Car 

R34 GTR - ~550whp Street Car 

That has always just been my vibe on how I view the cars. 

I like this train of thought... here's mine:

R32 GTR - Dedicated Drag Car 

R33 GTR - ~550whp Street Car

R34 GTR - Dedicated circuit racing car  

4 hours ago, Steve85 said:

I like this train of thought... here's mine:

R32 GTR - Dedicated Drag Car 

R33 GTR - ~550whp Street Car

R34 GTR - Dedicated circuit racing car  

R35 needs a mention, however isn't really the same vibe. 

it can do anything a R32-R34 can do but with leather seats and aircon 

26 minutes ago, hattori hanzo said:

R35 needs a mention, however isn't really the same vibe. 

it can do anything a R32-R34 can do but with leather seats and aircon 

But not a Skyline 

But these > 

280px-C10GT-R.jpg

280px-Japanese_NISSAN_Skyline_C110.jpg