SAU Community

Diy: 4wd To Rwd

kidafa

Hi all!

The forum has been lacking a DIY for putting your 4WD stag into RWD mode.

Firstly theirs a number of reasons you might want to:

• 2wd dyno runs
  • Saving coin on the tuner pulling it out
  • Making yourself feel better due to less power loss from awd system
  • Skids
  • Burning up tyres before installing new ones
  • Any other stupid reasons you can think off......

The reason I'm pulling it is we've got a dyno day tomorrow and only mods since last power run on a 2wd dyno was shift kit and a 3' highflow cat (used to have gutted 2.5')... So im really trying to work out if the kits done anything power wise (yes I will report after the day)

It takes roughly 45 minutes, perhaps allow an hour for first timers

Tools required:

• 4 Jack Stands
  • 13mm Ring Spanner
  • Trolley Jack
  • 12mm socket on ratchet and whatever adaptors you need for your setup
  • King G Overals :P (for keeping clean while rolling around on dirty garage floor)

20740_1303800590157_1084756809_30948537_6560848_n.jpg

Method:

1. Start by jacking up your car get it so all 4 wheels are off the ground by 3 or so inches

20740_1303800430153_1084756809_30948533_5364533_n.jpg

2. ENSURE you give the car a good shaking once its up on stands to ensure its nice and stable cos your going to be working under it!

3. Get under and locate your front drive shaft It comes out of the transfer case and has four bolts that go into the front diff

20740_1303800470154_1084756809_30948534_5707590_n.jpg

4. Go inside car and release park brake and put it in N

5. Jump back underneath and watch the shaft and spin one of the front wheels to spin the shaft to where its nice and easy to get at each bolt, you need to move the shaft for each bolt. I do them in this position

20740_1303800550156_1084756809_30948536_6430178_n.jpg

6. Take your socket and 12mm and put it on the bolt head (side of bolt towards rear of car) THE BOLTS AND NUTS ARE NOT REALLY HARD AND ROUND EASILY SO BE CAREFUL!

7. Try and give it a few spins to get it all moving you may be lucky and it may crack and you dont even need to use the 13mm to hold the nut still to undo them

8. Once you have all four bolts out pull the front of the shaft down and then pull and jiggle it forward. The rear is just a spline set-up thats all sealed so it will come out with a bit of pulling.

20740_1303800510155_1084756809_30948535_2315822_n.jpg

9. Drop the car, do a lap around the block with a bit of a heavy foot where you shouldn't (aka out of a corner) and you will soon be able to tell its in RWD. No fuses need to be pulled. You will not get any fault lights or anything. This is the only SAFE way to run in RWD to avoid frying clutch packs ect...

Installation is simply the reverse. Dont need to do the shaft nuts up super super tight. Again THE BOLTS AND NUTS ARE NOT REALLY HARD AND ROUND EASILY SO BE CAREFUL!

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You need to pull the 4wd fuse in the fusebox next to the battery.

"NEED" I think is the wrong word.. I guess you could but Ive had it out before and spoken to tuners and its not necessary. Ohhh and also a mechanic that had his shaft out on his OWN stagea for about 6months with no fuse removal and NO issues

Great howto thanks Chris! Now I have a better idea about what's involved and it looks reasonably straight-forward... as usual, the hardest part is getting the damn car far enough off the ground safely!

Whenever the mech' removes mine he always removes the (big, 30A) fuse. It's not hard - takes 5 seconds or so and has at least these advantages that I can think of:

- saves wear on the ATTESA pump by not running it all the time

- lets the system know that it's in RWD mode (and the driver by illuminating the 4wd warning light)

- stops that infernal clicking! (the dreaded ATTESA relay)

...so why not do it and take advantage of the benefits or however SK puts it... just my thoughts :P

Edited by DaveB

• 2 weeks later...
Ok for those wondering the shift kit and cat seemed to up the rwkw by 25. This is also with a tiny bit less boost. very pleased awesome day on the dyno thanks rodders!

no worries chris,had a few sms/pm's of thanks and im glad everyone had a good day and enjoyed it. i may organise another in due time

will catch up with you soon buddy!

• 2 years later...

You have the special edition RB20 M35?

Don't try and remove the front wheel shafts, remove the front shaft from the transfer case to the front diff.

If do i didnt know

Its a 02 nm35 250t rs4 sounds standard

• Like 1