SAU Community

Diy: 4wd To Rwd

kidafa

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just tried to take the shaft out and couldn't undo any of the bolts.... they were way too hard. :-/

I think you need a couple of 12mm spanners. Look carefully and see which is the nut and which is the bolt. I think you can just get the open ender on the bolt and put the ring on the nut. If you get them close together you can squeeze them together or else use a hammer (!!) on the ring spanner. You may need to remove the clutch slave cylinder to give you room to get the shaft out.

snow car..lol

lol, nah doesn't look like a snow car. Pretty much clean underneath with no rust, no rust under the side mirrors too. :)

I think you need a couple of 12mm spanners. Look carefully and see which is the nut and which is the bolt. I think you can just get the open ender on the bolt and put the ring on the nut. If you get them close together you can squeeze them together or else use a hammer (!!) on the ring spanner. You may need to remove the clutch slave cylinder to give you room to get the shaft out.

Yeah, i tried using a hammer and squeezing both spanners together with no luck. I just don't have enough room to move around underneath the car as I'm so cramped..... :-/

• 2 weeks later...

I dont mean to be rude but this was useless for me, my c34 wasnt set up like this at all. There were 6 bolts on the passenger side and a plate held on by about 10 or so on the drivers side. After we did figure out hosto remove these, and took it for a drive, i discovered that without the front driveshaft in there the hub bearing works its way out and the hub then becomes loose.

If theres a way to solve this, please let me know, otherwise i can't see how anybody runs their stageas in rwd.

I dont mean to be rude but this was useless for me, my c34 wasnt set up like this at all. There were 6 bolts on the passenger side and a plate held on by about 10 or so on the drivers side. After we did figure out hosto remove these, and took it for a drive, i discovered that without the front driveshaft in there the hub bearing works its way out and the hub then becomes loose.

If theres a way to solve this, please let me know, otherwise i can't see how anybody runs their stageas in rwd.

Lol u took out the wrong drive shafts! The only way u coud do it like that is to remove the outer cv from the driveshafts and leave that bolted in the hub.

The easier option is to remove the drive shaft that goes from the transmission to the sump

after further research i discovered that the CVs apparently come off the ends, but i couldnt get them off, and the reason i was doing this was to run RWD while getting my CVs rebuilt, which was the impression i was under that i could do that. None of the pictures in this thread loaded up either, so that might have added to the issues :P

No one is going to find your post rude, just puzzling.

Removing the front driveshaft is the same on all C34's.

Pic of driveshaft below

CIMG3307.JPG

For anyone elses benefit the stuff to the right of the uni-joint and 4 bolts doesnt need to come off, it can stay on the front diff.

Housewife are you referring to tailshafts or CV axles? I always make an effort to specify which shaft eg, transfer case -> front diff shaft for such reasons. The pic above is that shaft.

after further research i discovered that the CVs apparently come off the ends, but i couldnt get them off, and the reason i was doing this was to run RWD while getting my CVs rebuilt, which was the impression i was under that i could do that. None of the pictures in this thread loaded up either, so that might have added to the issues :P

Someone else will know for sure but I don't think you can run with your front half shafts out.

Someone else will know for sure but I don't think you can run with your front half shafts out.

U can't!!!

Like I said earlier, the only way he could do it would to remove the outer cv from the drive shaft and leave it bolted through the hub, or if he got a hold of some spare outer cv's and put them in while the drive shafts/cv's were at the shop getting overhauled. I got a quote to do all cv boots front and rear, $250 drive in drive out same day, or $150 if I took the drive shafts out and took them in there. Personally I'll be doing the drive in out service as its a shit job to remove and fit drive shafts.