ISL33P

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

I have some pics of a r33 rb26 plenum coming up for a Canadian customer along with a newly designed rb25 plenum....just getting everything sorted out for them now and I will post pics as I go along.

I should also post pics of my GTR ABS cover (which will be available for sale) along with the airbox for a r33 gtr I done recently.

• 3 weeks later...

awesome welding man. very nice.

i just became tradesman (metal fabricator) all we use is tig. unfortunatley we only do stainless.

the only al jobs ive done are for friends. and they all turned out like poo.

didnt realise how clean you had to make the al before you weld it. probably best only welding new things.

the 1st al job i did i had to reweld over existing weld... which was a no no from the beginning and it ended up terrible..

the 2nd was a friends washer bottle, the pipe at the bottom broke off so i had to put a new one in...

brown GUNK on the inside of a job your trying to weld...

totally did not go to plan. i ended up making him a new one from al and. it was awesome

like i said i dont do much al work. but when ive welded CLEAN/NEW al its been unbelieveable. it behaves so different to stainless. it kind of holds its form whilst its melted. where as stainless is like runny

hard to explain but im sure you know what i mean

keep it up man. it shits me to tears when people post up thier welds and thier f**king terrible and everyones like OMG THATS AWESOME.

yours ARE AWESOME... good stuff

thanks for that....I wish I could have more practice to improve :)

You are 100% right about aluminium needing to be very clean. Having said that, as you can see from the photo of do plenty of welding to factory cast manifolds and with the amount of crap (oil, fuel etc) on the inside they still come up ok. As long as the outside is cleaned up well, there should be no reason to penetrate it enough for the impurities to come through completely.

As for the the comments on other peoples fabrication, I totally agree, it happens a lot in magazines. A so called "go before show" magazine made similar comments some very crappy fabrication on a 7 sec drag car....it was almost shameful and not something I would ever put my name too...they also had a photo of some lathe in a workshop and claimed it to be a cnc machine but all it really was was the digital read out, nothing more, nothing less :D

^^^ lol what the hell. well i guess if people arent in the know... they wouldnt care!

i remember seeing pics of a ferrari at some car show. it was twin turbo. man the welds on that thing were terrible. completely ruined it.

heres a tip for everyone. if your welds are crep. polish them off!

yea i gotsta get me an ac/dc welder. HEAPS of money, but worth it imo.

only thing is, welding al is terrible. esp inhaling the fumes. even when cutting or griding. ah well. what can you do eh.

had any experience welding up piping? eshausts? intercooler piping?

also ill send you a pm about something else

^^^ lol what the hell. well i guess if people arent in the know... they wouldnt care!

i remember seeing pics of a ferrari at some car show. it was twin turbo. man the welds on that thing were terrible. completely ruined it.

leb-spec ferrari makes me angry, it only runs like 3psi lol, whats the point?

that said i remember walking around the city one night and having a close up look at a 360 modena, factory welds in the intake mani were terrible!!

i paid $1500 for mine and its a brand new lincoln welder, but i did also pay some $3k in getting 3 phase connected at my place.

i have welded exhausts and intercooler piping in aluminium, stainless, mild steel and the odd bits of chromoly

as for some of the work out there.....i should start making a bit of a gallery, some of the crap out there is unbelievable....read: horrible!!!!!!! how these people get paid i wonder...actually, maybe they dont and thats why people use them....i would certainly prefer to pay to get a job done right.

PS - stay tuned for up and coming r32 products currently being planned....abs unit cover, catch cans, overflow bottle, coolant bottles mmmmmm

Edited by ISL33P

i can guarantee it wasnt a nc or cnc machine.....disgraceful for a performance magazine, but i suppose when you get paid to put an article by a workshop, of course you are going to spin bs

Hopefully by the weekend I will have some pics of a plenum for a r32 gtr for a customer in Canada

....and I forgot the pics of the rb25 but I have another two on order so I will get some of those two.

anyway back to my welding :)

abs cover and air box for r33 gtr.....sorry for the pic size but I couldnt be bothered resizing them

this job also involved, modified stainless intercooler piping on both hot and cold sides, welding speedflow fittings to existing catch can, mount power steering reservior bottle, secure aftermarket jap radiator and more....I know I could have bent the abs cover and airbox and therefore required less welding, but I like this look better and so did the customer, so that's what counts ;)

post-16214-1287196783_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1287196841_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1287196883_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1287196989_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1287197023_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1287197148_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1287197193_thumb.jpg

Edited by ISL33P

ps - hand made flange for rb26 plenum has been completed this morning and that should do for the day since I am just waiting on an electrician to come past to do some work on my place which will occupy me for the rest of the arvo.

progress pics of the plenum will be posted when there is something a little more exciting than some flat bar with some pretty patterns and holes

Here are some pics of the rb26 plenum flange I done this morning.

What it started off being a peice of flat bar and then to what it became. Just for those with a keen eye for detail, the last pic just shows the flange sittings on there, not lined up, because you will notice the holes are out by a bit which is not the case when it is screwed down :D

Cheers,

Ariel

post-16214-1287216808_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1287216866_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1287216985_thumb.jpg

thanks Dallas. I will post up some pics of the few things I am doing for your car in the coming weeks. Nothing major from a manufacturing point of view, just some welding practice really :D

Here is pretty much the finished product. I just have to weld on the LS2 throttle body plate which is on its way and the two required vacuum fittings

The customer is removing the booster and clutch master and having them under the dash making way for what I think is one of the longest set of runners to be seen on a rb26.

The car is going to be running a borg warner s480 turbo and there should be nothing holding it back....

post-16214-1287816013_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1287816040_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1287816071_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1287816104_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1287816124_thumb.jpg

Edited by ISL33P

• 2 weeks later...

This weekends update.....

The rb26 above is finsihed and will be packed to make its way to Canada tomorrow.

Below are a couple of RB25 plenums I am doing over this weekend and next and also a (dare I say) 1JZ I am finishing off after going to the customer to ensure fitment.

I will hopefully have the 2 RB25's finished tomorrow.

Happy welding,

Ariel

post-16214-1289036986_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1289037035_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1289037062_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1289037097_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1289037203_thumb.jpg