SAU Community

Nz'ers! Show Yourselves!

Lithium

Hi Guys, Another kiwi here from Invercargill, i drive a 4 door R33 GTS25T, love these forums, although it makes me a bit sad looking up and seeing a guy that owns an R34 GTR :( what i would do for one of those!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, the name's Jeremy.

I'm from Porirua, Wellington.

Have owned a '96 Integra with a B18CR swap, a '93? MR2.

Currently own a '92 Terrano 3L Petrol and a '92 Skyline GTS-4 RB26DETT swap.

I bought the Skyline after being sandwiched in the Integra, and after two days of owning it, I managed to shatter the N1 oil pump and lose oil pressure.

This was back in July 2013.

I did a lot of research about the RB26DETT and pondered over repairing it myself.

However I finally came to my senses and decided to let the best RB builder in the known universe do his magic.

It has been at RIPS since October last year, and progress has recently picked up since MGAWOT III was finished.

See more pictures of the build in this thread http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/429319-new-r32-owner-from-nz/

Some quick specs:

GTR gearbox and front and rear differentials

RB26DETT with R33 bottom end, standard rotating assembly

Refreshed R32 head, new valve guides and seals

Twin Garrett GT2860R-9s with standard dump pipes and 4" exhaust

GTR intercooler

Tomei oil pump and appropriate restrictor

Super massive oil sump

RIPS catch can (to be installed)

RIPS surge system and ethanol sensor in the return line for flex fuel goodness!

Twin Bosch 044 fuel pumps with E85 compatible fuel lines

RIPS modified standard fuel rail - twin entry and centre return to a Turbosmart FPR1200 regulator

ID1000 injectors - which will be close to maxxed out, but I couldn't afford paying 2x as much for ID1300s

Link G4 ECU - will be tuned by infomotive

All comments and questions are welcome!

Looking forward to meeting other Skyline owners in the Wellington region!

The car

post-115803-0-81377000-1391462066_thumb.jpg
Rebuilt engine
post-115803-0-29397200-1391412742_thumb.jpg

The twins

post-115803-0-05452700-1391412755_thumb.jpg
The engine back in after the rebuild

post-115803-0-95612000-1391412782_thumb.jpg

RIPS fuel surge system
post-115803-0-37586600-1391412692_thumb.jpg

post-115803-0-81377000-1391462066_thumb.jpg

Nice setup, look forward to hearing results :) Think I've seen that car around, or at least heard about it.

Those -9s aren't that big a turbo for your setup, ID1000s aren't particularly big for an E85 setup but in saying that - I'd not be surprised if the fuel system maxes out when the -9s are getting near their limit too. If the ID1000s do reach their limit on E85, the cool thing about flex fuel and the G4 is you can set multiple boost maps and have them switch based on your own preset thresholds - and realistically there isn't huge power gain between say E70 and E85, but a reasonable power difference. If you happen to be injector flow limited on E85, but the turbos have more - you may actually be able to make more power with more boost on E60-E70 and have the Link allow the higher boost if the injectors will allow the flow to support it :)

Do you know if Informotive have done any flex fuel tunes yet? I've heard there are cars lurking around NZ with flexfuel tunes but only know of two definites, and one is a Porirua based Silvia which I tuned :)

Someone I know used to own it in Plimmerton. It used to have the number plate AV0ID, which is ironic, considering the oil pump shat itself on the 2nd day of ownership!

I know the fuel system (bar injectors) is overkill for the turbos, but it's better to be overspec'd in that area than on the limit.

Did you mean that there is a reasonable fuel flow difference? You said 'power' twice in your comparison =P

Once it comes time to tune I could mention that if he is injector limited to try a full power map at E70 or similar, however, I have a feeling the turbos will run out of flow before the injectors!

I'm not certain which cars they have tuned on flex fuel, but Jason was able to supply a suitable ethanol sensor so that might suggest he has done it before?

I'd say a flex fuel tune is a walk in the park when you are tuning 7.78s RB32 motors on E85 =D.

Where is the cheapest place to get good grade E85 from? I found a place in Petone, and I know Shred sells it. Anywhere else?

Someone I know used to own it in Plimmerton. It used to have the number plate AV0ID, which is ironic, considering the oil pump shat itself on the 2nd day of ownership!

I know the fuel system (bar injectors) is overkill for the turbos, but it's better to be overspec'd in that area than on the limit.

Did you mean that there is a reasonable fuel flow difference? You said 'power' twice in your comparison =P

Once it comes time to tune I could mention that if he is injector limited to try a full power map at E70 or similar, however, I have a feeling the turbos will run out of flow before the injectors!

I'm not certain which cars they have tuned on flex fuel, but Jason was able to supply a suitable ethanol sensor so that might suggest he has done it before?

I'd say a flex fuel tune is a walk in the park when you are tuning 7.78s RB32 motors on E85 =D.

Where is the cheapest place to get good grade E85 from? I found a place in Petone, and I know Shred sells it. Anywhere else?

Wow, terrible luck for you and great luck for him :(

Agreed with overspeccing fuel system for sure, just mentioned it because you suggested ID1300s would be better. And yes, I definitely meant fuel flow difference - rushing a little too much with my message, my bad.

Yeah, I have no doubt Jason will be fine doing it - I've just been curious of how many are lurking around, you don't really hear much about flex fuel setups in NZ but I am aware of a few people selling the sensors so there must be some.

The outright cheapest you could do is probably from South Pacific Ethanol in Auckland, who sell denatured ethanol and have the option of treating it with corrosion inhibitor - I know people who have run that recently with no issue, but it's a relative unknown compared to the likes of Gull, Sucrogen etc. The biggest issue with it that I know of is you can only get it in 200l containers that I am aware of, so storage is a potential problem.

If the place in Petone you are talking about is Alcotane, they no longer exist - there are a lot of contact listings for them which are well out of date as they actually last operated in Plimmerton before they 'disappeared'... it sucks a bit because being able to buy 20litre containers locally was very very very handy, compared to the current situations. The last place we acquired E85 was when I went up to Auckland last weekend, I stopped past Gull Pukekohe and filled a few containers with Gull ForcePro :D You can order E85 from Taupiri Auto Store too, but I believe they also only sell in 200l containers.

Hey the place in Petone is called Race Proof Limited.

Theres a whole list of places here, but not sure how many are still valid - http://www.motorsport.org.nz/resources/competitors/equipment-fuel-suppliers

Unfortunately it's not really an option getting it from any of the places in Auckland!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...