SAU Community

Hks 2.8 "step Zero"

rtune

Does anyone have anything useful to say about this relatively cheap HKS 2.8 kit that appeared late last year?

the one that can use stock conrods if you wish.

"step zero" I think it is called, and a stock redline of 8000

as far as I know the price is about 400,000 yen. Which is $5k. Plus $? for install.

Anyone know what the $? usually comes to..

In addition to increased displacement effect of 2.8L, STEP ZERO is the best solution for engines that require better response.

The target maximum revolution is best for stock or GT-SS turbine with greatly improved response.

The affordable price allows usage just for engine overhauling.

It is optimized for target turbines and rpm.

Although it is full counter, the ultra lightweight design achieves quicker response than ordinary STEP1 or STEP2.

Full counter design decreases load on metals.

The pitch of both connecting rod ends is not changed as ordinary kits and stroke is adjusted by piston height.

This design is less side pressure, less friction and more durable than other manufacturers' 2.8L stroker kits that change the pitch between the both ends.

・Newly designed φ86.5 piston.

Piston bore can be selected depending on engine block condition between φ86.5 and φ87.0.

・Proven MADE IN JAPAN (HKS in-house production).

- http://www.hks-power.co.jp/db/product/file...4-AN009_012.pdf

Couldn't tell you an exact price but I assume it would be no more then the HKS Step 1 / Step 2 kit.

Tangomatt has a HKS 2.8lt kit in his R34 GTR, best ask him and he can let you know whats involved and pricing.

His HKS 2.8lt was put together / tuned by Ben from Racepace.

hm, it seems like it is to pep up a more stock type rb26, rather than for a larger application.

the price is good though. HKS must have sold nothing during the GFC and are re-evaluating their product pricing.

Its just basic kit that is purely for response while using GT-SS turbo's or alike. You'll get around the 400ps (dont know what that is in HP or Kw's) but I'll be at HKS on the weekend so can get more info.

I saw them a few months back and asked about them and they reckoned it was just upgrade kit for more performance, lighter crank and revs more quickly but 8000 rpm max. I'm pretty sure its not a forged crank, just lightweight counter.

They made them up here because everybody is broke and doesnt have the coin for the Step 1,2 and 3 kits !!

Its just basic kit that is purely for response while using GT-SS turbo's or alike. You'll get around the 400ps (dont know what that is in HP or Kw's) but I'll be at HKS on the weekend so can get more info.

I saw them a few months back and asked about them and they reckoned it was just upgrade kit for more performance, lighter crank and revs more quickly but 8000 rpm max. I'm pretty sure its not a forged crank, just lightweight counter.

They made them up here because everybody is broke and doesnt have the coin for the Step 1,2 and 3 kits !!

400 PS = 394.52 HP

400 PS = 294.20 kW

Sounds good your heading to HKS on the weekend.

Please do tell us how you go.

400ps is roughly 293kw... which I assume u mean at all 4 wheels?

I would have thought that is pretty conservative estimate with GT-SS turbo's and supporting mods..... let alone adding the 2.8 kit??

Dont quote me on that figure as gospel as when I was talking to my mate at HKS about the 2.8 build on my car at the time and was wondering why they were so cheap compared to the Step 2 kits.

There's a few configurations on the kit with the basic starting at 400,000yen.

Why only 400ps?

considering the standard GTR crank and rods can see almost 600ps then it must be the piston design holding this kit back? maybe they are light cast items similar to stock not forged

that or the crank is significantly lighter (and therefore weaker) than the standard crank?

Ok my mistake !!

Was just on the blower to my mate at HKS and Max power rating of kit is 600PS !!

sorry for the misinformation.

Crank is full Counter weight only.

Forged pistons and Rods.

Use of N1 Oil pump is fine as limited to 8000rpm but you cant be too carefull so upgrade of oil pump is up to customer.

Highly responsive motor with great torque !!

Ok my mistake !!

Was just on the blower to my mate at HKS and Max power rating of kit is 600PS !!

Forged pistons and Rods.

Use of N1 Oil pump is fine as limited to 8000rpm but you cant be too carefull so upgrade of oil pump is up to customer.

600ps at engine or wheels??

Ok my mistake !!

Forged pistons and Rods.

600 PS = 441.30 kW

That sounds more like it :P

Good to hear that elrodeo666.

I love a great responsive RB26 as the experience is pure awesome!

The Japanese rate it at the wheels but their dynos are notoriously number happy.

Regardless its pretty good bang for buck.

My 2.8 Step 2 build here was bloody expensive !!

• 7 months later...

Just bumping an old thread instead of starting a new one.

Is anyone using the step zero kit?

It says that it will suit someone running GT-SS or stock turbos and only revving to 8000rpm. Is this HKS under rating their product or is it really that weak?

I would be interested to know if it would be capable of around 600hp with a T04Z and 8500rpm with ARP bolts all round and all the good necessary hardware.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Another bump, this thread needs more attention.

Is anyone out there using the HKS Step Zero? And more to the point, id like to know who has had the opportunity to lean on one and see how it really performs.

I am looking at 2.8 options myself at the moment, and a tuner responsible for the engines in some of the fastest time attack cars in Japan tells me they are using the Step Zero in the majority of their cars, all of which are producing at least 650PS and have yet to find the limits of the kit - Interesting feedback

It appears the Pistons and Rods included in the Step Zero are the same as those included in the Step 1, leaving the main difference as the crank