SAU Community

Hks 2.8 "step Zero"

rtune

most workshops put a surcharge on getting parts in for you... not to mention the costs associated with having an assembled motor sent over from Japan... if on a budget probably best to source parts yourself after speaking with engine builder about what to get etc and have it assembled here... if you can pull the motor and reinstall yourself some good saving to be made there as well

personally I prefer the builder to also be the tuner... then there's no blame game if things don't go 100%

if budget not an issue, just call Mines or HKS and have them send you a crate over with all the fruit :cheers:

interested as a future upgrade, hopefully will tally up nice with the my -9 turbos upgrade later this year

noob questions, will this KIT comes with all the bits that normally constitute a "RB26 mid life freshen up :) "

so that all you need is oil pump, coil pack,water pump,etc

does anyone know budget for install of such a kit

GOAL - only after super responsive Street GTR with loads of torque, Power around 280AWKW range, so not much

nope, kit includes only crank, rods, pistons, pins, pin locks and ring set. you still need big end bearings, main bearings and all the other usual rebuild bits like VRS kit (all the top end gaskets basically inc head gasket), oil and water pumps, tensioner, idler bearing, timing belt etc.

labour on the install cost will vary heaps. best to talk to some engine builders and ask them for a quote. :)

it's a very good kit for the money. HKS rods and pistons are both very nice. should be a sweet engine if built nicely.

^ the build Primal did for you... do you reckon that was good value after everything was put together compared to what you would expect to pay back here in Oz for the same thing?

yeah it was pretty good. their labour is not exactly cheap on a per hour basis but what I found is they can accomplish in 1 hour what an aus workshop will bill 2 hours for. unlike many workshops here they are not 'learning on the job' as they've been building big RB engines for literally 20 years and build dozens of them each year.

if i was going to get a 2.8 build or something I would seriously consider having Tets build it for me again, they just do such nice work and prices are quite reasonable. nothing good is cheap though. :(

CRD/Racepace/Unigroup/Mercury/Godzilla/XSpeed/RIPS who have all been building RB’s for years and are arguably at the forefront of the development these days in their various areas – are learning on the job?

These places are churning out motors by the dozens as well you could safely assume.

If anything the Japanese could still be doing the same things they were 5 years ago. Where is the development in that?

There most certainly has been development in Australian & NZ over that time. At least here you can see results improve and grow – there is no such information to back up such work from over there really.

Now before people start getting excited - I’m not saying the Japs are bad or not as good etc etc.

However I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say Aussie workshops can’t do the same quality of work for a similar, if not better price.

Personal choice no doubt, for me - it'd go local.

lol, don't get your panties in a bunch ash. I never named any particular workshops. But I've seen it happen all to often where workshops don't know how to deal with GTR or RB specific problems etc and the customer ends up paying for it.

on the other side there are plenty of great workshops in aus too of course. I know and deal with many of them.

I was simply answering a question put to me by dan. he asked me if I thought it was good value and I simply explained that while they have reasonably high rates (still not really higher than any top aus workshop) they get things done fast and done right. and I said if I needed another engine buit I would consider using them again. in all probability I would get a local shop to build it but I would have a think about it first.

• 4 weeks later...

This step Zero kit looks pretty good.

About 5 years ago I bought one of their Step 2 cranks (2306-RN005) to use in a project which I put on the back burner. Back then they only had the Step 2 and the Step 3 being a billett crank, 22mm pins and if my memory serves correct, coated pistons. Interesting how they dont have a Step 3 or billet crank anymore and added a Step Zero and 1 to their line up.

What I have noticed is their suggested RPM and power limits. I dont recall their older step 2 (or step 3) kit having these. Does anyone remember? 9k rpm from their step 2 seems way low or just conservative.

The current Step Zero crank looks similar but there are a few differences you can spot from the limited pic's floating around. There is a lot of machining around the big end journal which looks like its only purpose is for weight reduction and centrifical force. The counter weights look different in design, Thinner perhaps? Probably so they could get awat with some weight savings on the other end at the expense of overall strength. There is also an attempt to reduce weight from the center of the crank.

Would be interesting to compare the difference side by side, if anyone in Sydney is keen (and has a good camera lol) let me know. I also have a used 2.7 crank we can use for comparison. The 2.8 crank is 22kg.

depending on who you deal with you can get outta paying for the tax, I ordered 800cc injectors, nismo fuel pump and nismo coppermix twin plate from RHD and ended up only paying for the parts, and delivery..... No tax and no paypal fees RHD sorted all that.

Just hit up who ever your buyin the stuff off before the purchase and tell them u dont wanna pay tax or any other fees

• 3 months later...

depending on who you deal with you can get outta paying for the tax, I ordered 800cc injectors, nismo fuel pump and nismo coppermix twin plate from RHD and ended up only paying for the parts, and delivery..... No tax and no paypal fees RHD sorted all that.

Just hit up who ever your buyin the stuff off before the purchase and tell them u dont wanna pay tax or any other fees

That is simply good luck, noone can guarantee that customs wont charge import tax. Simply underdeclaring the value of goods can have unwanted results also.

For everyones info, at the current exchange rate, www.greenline.jp have the step zero kit [for use with standard rods] for $3600 plus delivery.

So thats less than 4K to get the kit to Aus = cheeaapp!

How many people running STD rods with these kits?

Also, if someone is serious about ordering or setting a group buy, count me in.

Also, not to change the subject but west end performance wasn't mentioned above.. Any comments on their reputation with rb's appreciated.

Edited by tk80

How many people running STD rods with these kits?

Also, if someone is serious about ordering or setting a group buy, count me in.

Also, not to change the subject but west end performance wasn't mentioned above.. Any comments on their reputation with rb's appreciated.

anyone?

my advice would be not to run it with standard rods. if I was buying one, I'd buy the kit without rods and then buy a set of tomei rods to go in it. the current generation tomei rods are very nice, have some clever design features and are very reasonably on price. for under $5K you'd have the step 0 crank and pistons and the tomei rods which would be the base for a very stout 2.8.... I would have no hesitation running it to 8,500 or even 9,000 providing you've got at the minimum upgraded valve springs and preferably retainers and of course a well built engine. would be a great street car with GTSS or a great track car with 2530s....

currently you can get a set of tomei GTR rods for $1000 which is a steal. I would buy them even at $1500. hell they used to be $2K. that includes bolts of course too. with tomei rods so cheap I have no idea why people use anything else and I certainly wouldn't re-use standard rods in a build with a $$$ crank and pistons. I think my current favourite kit would be exactly this kit, with either the full HKS kit (with rods) or by getting the 'rod-less' kit and using the beautiful tomei rods.

if I didn't have a similar set-up already (Jun 2.7 crank, tomei rods and tomei pistons) I would consider it for sure.

Which site sell the rods for 1000, Beer baron ?i can get a 2.8 crank from my turner, hes orderd afew custom 2.8 kits of his own,il go with his 2.8 crank,tomei rods,mahle pistons,maybe tomei piston if they;re cheaper then the mahle's,

just be careful about which 2.8 kit you get and what pistons. you need to have a handle on what the pin height needs to be and what the rod length needs to be. since this HKS kit works with stock rods that tells me it works with the tomei rods (standard length) and since you're getting the pistons in the HKS kit you know the pin height will be correct. if you got a custom crank and different pistons just be aware of how it's achieving that extra stroke etc.

as for tomei rods for around $1000. ebay USA. I saw a set there for actually just under $1000. they are a steal for that price. the pistons are still pricey (I think $1600 or maybe even more these days) but are excellent pistons. one of the best.