SAU Community

Wrx Vs Evo?

depends on budget...originally I would say WRX but the real competitor to the EVO is the STI version.

so if we're talking STI and budget of $25k then I'd pick a bug eye STI or EVO 6.5 TME to get a nice copy.

EVO's are lancers so they could be better sleepers without the wings, etc. Mind you a STI with a FMIC and RS bonnet makes a stock looking impreza. Also depends if you like the rex burble, it's certainly something I enjoy :P

buy the one that has atleast the weight of the gear box behind the front axle and doesnt have a retarded whale dong rear differentail to try and compensate for rubbish weight distrubshion. there was a spec c that did reliable 10,s for not much coin in nzlc a while back

so my mate is wanting to buy one of these. mainly for street with a tiny bit of track use (maybe). we haven't decided on what year of make yet, so just general info. pros and cons from people who know would be great

The first thing your mate should do is go and test drive both. Thats the only way he can have an unbiased judgement on the two. We all have personal opinions of them both so heres mine. One of them is ok for shits and giggles and the other is a true warrior that will not disappoint and has many gtr owners nervous.

buy the one that has atleast the weight of the gear box behind the front axle and doesnt have a retarded whale dong rear differentail to try and compensate for rubbish weight distrubshion.

Should we choose the one that has the retarded cylinder configuration that means one bank of cylinders will have a disproportionately long manifold path to the turbocharger, forcing people to either run an uneven length manifold or adding pointless bends to the other side?

By all accounts the Evo is quicker, the WRX/STi is more streetable. You determine your requirements, you make your choices.

WRX = nicer interior, better day to day driveability (which makes it not as good as the EVO on the track), even with no mods the boxer engine purrs and sounds way better then the stock evo engine, rear seats split/fold 60 40 so can fit more luggage on long trips

EVO = track monster, much harsher for mon-fri driving, interior compared to the WRX is shite, your wife wouldnt like it, rear seats don't fold/split

depends hwo much you are spending and which models you have lined up...more information would be good. i'd buy a evo 6,8 and 9 and quite possibly 10 over the comepting sti's in those years.

but then again...i'm all for evos and i would never buy a sti but thats jsut me.

Edited by jakez88

Should we choose the one that has the retarded cylinder configuration that means one bank of cylinders will have a disproportionately long manifold path to the turbocharger, forcing people to either run an uneven length manifold or adding pointless bends to the other side?

weight distrubution or the shape of an exhaust manifond ? i know which one is more important

also the "pointless bends" well there not pointless are they ?

+1 for the Evo. You really need to specify budget though. I drove a wrx and was not at all happy with it so I got a GTR. I drove an evo v for six months. It was in mint condition - wasnt as fast as the GTR but still aweseome to drive. I have not driven an STi yet so I cant make that comparison.

so my mate is wanting to buy one of these. mainly for street with a tiny bit of track use (maybe). we haven't decided on what year of make yet, so just general info. pros and cons from people who know would be great

A lightly-modded last of the 2.0 STi for $30k or less; find a 2.5 STi if he has more.

none of the EVOs at work are broken but some of the WRXs are

Put 240k kms on my original WRX; current STi has 90k. Zero broken parts on either (replaced original WRX clutch @ 120k kms, LHF wheel bearing @ some point but Wakefield will do that)

Perhaps broken things are more to do with the driver than the vehicle?

Cheers,

SW

A lightly-modded last of the 2.0 STi for $30k or less; find a 2.5 STi if he has more.

Put 240k kms on my original WRX; current STi has 90k. Zero broken parts on either (replaced original WRX clutch @ 120k kms, LHF wheel bearing @ some point but Wakefield will do that)

Perhaps broken things are more to do with the driver than the vehicle?

Cheers,

SW

i agree. past experience WRX's like most japanese cars are mostly unbreakable. start feeding more power pound for pound evo engine can handle more. but lightly tuned they are unbreakable. earlier models i'm talking the classic rex 10 years ago had gearbox issues if launched too hard repeatedly. but EVOs have exactly the same issue with blowing trasfer casings in their gearboxes with hard launches. EVO 9's are famous for blowing gearboxes with repetitive hard launching. some guys have blown the transfer casing 3 times in an EVO through gearbox abuse. spend some time on the Oz EVO forums you will see the EVOs have their fare share of issues too if treated with no respect. recent models included.

with either car. treat it well. and it will be good to you.