SAU Community

Rb25de (supercharged) Project

Well im hoping for 300rwkw with alot of mean low down poke. I imagine having more low/midrange power with decent top end will make me faster then an equivalent turbo'd 300rwkw car.

TBH i think my problem will be a massive lack of traction. Having so much torque down low will really make it hard to go anywhere.

I've been trowling through BMW forums and there are quite a number of them with these s/c's on them only running around 300-350hp (on about 9psi), not sure if thats at the wheels or engine and they claim to have alot of trouble with traction as the onset of power is just so brutally hard and fast. They are running a smaller unit then the 2.1L I've got also. They also mention that the power is so linear and easily controlled with the right foot once youve adjusted to it.

Im quite excited about this!

Back on the bracket, I buggered up the original one when I went to put it back together last night with the new mods. So the new front face plate will now be made out of a 30mm billet block of steel on the CNC mill and have the spacer bushes incorporated into it :no:

perhaps you will have to invest in one of the larger 2.8l models for the race car :(

lol yeh that is a very cool thought. It has crossed my mind and did infact when i was deciding which one to get for my road car. But they told me to go for the 2.1L first and that I would be very pleased with it. Time will tell!

Got the new bracket assembled on the weekend and its all good! Finally got past that issue now. Been fiddling with intercooler, radiator and accusump fitment in the front end tonight. Didnt take any pictures as its not all complete, but it all fits together pretty well. However if I had retained the air conditioning the accusump would definitely not fit in the spot between a/c core and intercooler. But after this bit is done then its onto the new 3" intercooler piping!

Decided Im pretty well going to paint everything flat black so it just all blends in. I dont want anything standing out, so no blingy chrome bits anywhere for potential cops to look at "IF" I get pulled up in the future. Plus the whole stealth look is always great.

post-12828-1268652818_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1268652935_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1268653009_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1268653132_thumb.jpg

Got a few pics of the new speedcar too which finally turned up and is taking up my spot in the shed. My car is now back outside...so annoying. I think they are trying to get it ready to run for this saturday night, if anyone here follows snorway.

post-12828-1268653261_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1268653362_thumb.jpg

Edited by r33_racer

• 2 weeks later...

Been abit slow lately. But I did start on the i/c piping and have about half of it done, hopefully get the rest of it done tonight or pretty close.

Crank pulley got finished today also and it looks fantastic! Bolts up where the powersteering pump pulley was.

post-12828-1269496077_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1269496163_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1269496266_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1269496339_thumb.jpg

I am using a Ross Tuffbond Metal Jacket balancer too. Much more affordable then the ATI units.

Hopefully I will have more photos soon showing the supercharger bolted up with piping connected and things starting to take shape :D

will be interesting to see the piping, from memory the intake is at the back of the unit and the output on the front/top of the unit. will this make the exhaust hard to fabricate?

Yes it will be interesting, lol you are dead on. Intake is a big 180 degree oval about the same shape and size as the back of the supercharger. Its going to be quite tricky as the first three cylinders will run right into it :P

Having an rb30 instead would make it alot easier as the extra 40mm in height would help tremendously with the exhaust side of things.

Figure I might throw up some pictures from last night to show how its all sitting atm.

post-12828-1269548823_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1269549845_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1269549993_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1269550786_thumb.jpg

The bracket behind the intercooler is the new bonnet catch support which also holds the accusump. The accusumps bolts line up with the extra two brackets I tigged onto the i/c to tie it all together for added rigidity.

I have next week off work to try and slam out as much as I can on this project, may need two weeks to get most of it done though. Starting to get excited as its getting closer and closer and feeling as if its actually all possible and maybe going to work.

Lol I had also thought about (jokingly ofcourse) the short pipes idea. Ahhh if only! But hopefully there will be enough room to run those first three cylinders straight up near the cam covers and then back down to the collector/s.

Tonights effort I got the drivers side completely finished in terms of i/c piping. Got about half of the p.side done so far, wont have pics until its all done. It will take longer as im going to make one of those afm into i/c piping mojos using a q45, which will hopefully work out and I gotta put the bypass valve in there somewhere too, along with my overboost valve.

Anyway a couple of pics :)

post-12828-1269609919_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1269610080_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1269610135_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1269610192_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1269610245_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1269610351_thumb.jpg

i have always thought how bad ass it would be to supercharge my R33 GTS25T so i cant wait to see how it all goes ;):)

also 20psi at 2000rpm imagine that as a daily driver. it will go :D

note* u should try and sell this build story to a car mag or something who knows u could recoup some funds

Michael, Can you show how you have done the accusump...dont they have either 3/8 or 1/2" NPT fittings...i cant see where it could be plumbed into an oil pressure source?

Im hoping to get this into a car mag when its all done. I doubt ill get paid for it though. Fingers crossed!

I havent actually finished the accusump install yet. Ive only fabricated the bracketry to hold it in place. Once I get upto that part Ill show/explain what I plan to do.

So ive only got a few pics of bits and pieces that have been fabbed/machined up. The rest of the i/c piping is done, but I realised I can't do the bypass valve yet until I make the intake so I can locate accordingly. I ran out of argon this afternoon so my efforts got cut short. I was about to start the intake too! Im waiting for my boost relief valve to arrive from gcg. Should get it tomorrow. Hopefully by sometime early next week Ill have all of the ally fab work finished! Then it will be time to start the biggest PITA bit of this project. The super duper intricate headers....Then once thats done it will be the rest of the new exhaust system. I have two Borla XR-1 Multicore racing mufflers enroute from summit. The Borla rep reckons two of those mufflers will keep it quiet without disturbing flow at all.

So the goal atm is within the next week or two to have the better part of this project done so I can get to pulling the motor out, checking my bearings, oil pump, thinking about modifying my sump for greater capacity with some basic baffles, fitting the old NPC twin plate off the race car, making new billet fuel rail to suit new 1000cc injectors ive got coming from the states, fabricate a surge tank and mount for the twin 044s and then fitting everything back up to see if it will all work! Then off for tuning at Mercury!

lol just reading that, ive realised there is still alot to do! :P Everyday when I drive home from work, I imagine what it would be like if I was driving my newly supercharged skyline home instead of the turbo diesel hilux. *sigh*

Anyway some pics...

post-12828-1270028686_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1270028754_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1270028810_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1270028858_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1270028900_thumb.jpg

I have to give a big thank you to Kyle @ 6BOOST too for supplying me with one of his exhaust header flanges. He saved me a shitload of time not having to measure,draw and mill out my own one. Cheers mate!

Edited by r33_racer