SAU Community

R35 Gtr Goes Green

As some of you are aware of the very first R35 E85 conversion was carried out in the US a couple of weeks back, and not wanting to be left behind, the 2nd E85 powered GTR the world has ever seen came from Australia. Heres how we converted our GTR to E85, and of course the results :blink:

It started out with our new GTR surge tank design that the we fabricated in-house as a test piece for this project. With twin 255l/hour fuel pumps and a set of 950cc injectors we certainly wouldtnt have any shortage of fuel supply to the engine (a priority to get right with E85).

Here is a picture of the initial surge tank design -

wr35fs1.jpg

And here it is mounted in the boot fully plumbed to the vehicle. Its silent and odour free :cool:

octopussy.jpg

We nicknamed it 'Octopussy' due to the seven braided teflon lines that run both feed and return to the fuel system

This now means we can run a lower fuel level (lighter) at the track without suffering fuel starvation problems

Enough of the talk though here are the dyno results we achieved with our Accesstuner software and the stock management system (note: these are in American, but I am sure you will get the gist)

gtre851.jpg

gtre852.jpg

gtre853.jpg

gtre854.jpg

gtre855.jpg

Oh yes the GTR also has a new wing :D

gtrwing.jpg

Edited by Martin Donnon

Congrats, good to see the Aussies on the leading edge.

Agreed,

Excellent work M . . . and your team.

I was expecting a good result, but not that good!

I am wondering how Slips car will come up with "Corn Juice"

. . . not sure about the wing though !

When are you moving to the US Martin?

Do not even suggest that Drifter.

I have to give it to Martin, whilst many of us don't use his services (and many do), he absolutely lives and breathes the "Performance Aftermarket" and one by one he is winning both respect and customers - Worldwide - with his initiatives!

I only catch up with M via email or in person every now and then but it is always an energetic, uplifting and positive experience.

Originally I had no intention of Modding our 35 but in the end he has single handedly has made so many (track validated) improvements that I think I will end up at Gillman . . . even if its only for the Trans Lube.

. . . so Drifter , I hope NOT

Very impressive dyno results Martin. Great work on the surge tank too !

What sort of benefit did you see from the increased knock resistance of the E85 in developing your E85 custom tune ?

I'm very interested to hear your experiences with the E85 on your R35.

For anyone interested, there are a couple of articles here that mention the knock resistance of E85 ...

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_08...ctane_rate.html

http://saefuel.saejournals.org/content/2/1/670.abstract

What boost levels are you running for the 93 octane tune (vs boost levels in the E85 custom tune) in those dyno overlays ?

gtrwing.jpg

Oh yes the GTR also has a new wing :D

:P

Great to see another Aeromotions Dynamic Wing on a GT-R (we're Aeromotions Australian and NZ distributor).

Give us a call if you have any setup questions or tuning questions etc with the Aeromotions wing Martin - we're more than happy to help with support etc.

Have you had the car out on a track yet with the new wing ?

- The Tuners Group

Edited by TheTunersGroup

nice gain. that will really wake the thing up. a shit load cheaper than most of the '600hp' tuning packages around too I'll bet. all you need is injectors and pumps and a tune and it's all systems go. :) I'm guessing cost of the upgrade would be around $3.5K not counting the ongoing fuel costs of course.....

Yes that is true Beer Baron

To give you an idea, the E85 conversion on stock turbos will give as much power/torque as a turbo upgraded R35 GTR on 98 Premium if not a little more, and blow away the 600 style kits with ease. This stuff is that good......

However the day is about to come where the turbo upgraded car gets E85 (you listening Slip?) and when it does I expect some massive numbers up there around 450awkw on a Mainline (think:big) :)

Edited by Martin Donnon

E85 FTMFW!! :P

been running full time on the 'jungle juice' (as my tuner refers to it) for.. my goodness..... approaching a year now i guess? helps me reconcile my green-side and my modified car side... wonder if i can get rid of my cat :D

did you have any concerns about internals,lines, etc? and any oil issues? i know Motul themselves advise not to use E85 with 300V and it seems oil choice is quite important. Currently i'm running AMSoil but was running Royal Purple before that.

There were some other issues i heard from the yanks or maybe the V8 supercar guys about 'drying out'... can't remember what that referred to.

anyways, it's fantastic stuff, and any car i get from now one will run E85 full time.

Slip, you MUST get your car on E85... the results would be plain rude ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We used the Walbro pumps because they have a lot of testing hours under their belt with E85 in the US, and seem to have a good track record in the E85 cars we have had them on for 24 months or so over here. Injector sizing is 950cc for this application, which should deliver me another 100awkw potential from this package - so there is room left for a turbocharger upgrade before needing to revise the fuel system any further :)

Notwithstanding that I personally believe the link between man made carbon dioxide emissions and supposed man made global warming is a load of crap, the work performed on the Willall GT-R is as usual excellent, and with increased performance...who could argue otherwise! :P