SAU Community

1jzget Vs Rb25det

ok i got myself a bit of a pickle here... a few months ago i found out that nizzpro performance did a 1jzgte conversion into nissans. so i went out and bought a r32 shell without a engine and diff which was pretty much all i was looking for. i got the money arranged yesterday so i went into nizzpro this morning to talk to them about exactly what it would cost etc.

so i asked the blokes there about it and he took me through the workshop, telling me the info that i needed to know. after a bit of discussion, he got me onto a rb25 conversion, both looking at it being a bit cheaper, it would only take a bit over a week compared to about a month and more power out of stock internals and is generally better. he seemed to dislike the 1jz conversion a bit more as well.

the original base offer for the 1jzgte with everything included and installed was $7500 (not including diff or suspension), but they've had to bump up the price a bit because of price increases in some of the items they buy to do it. but to get the rb25 in it will cost around the $7000 mark with everything i wanted (suspension and diff included).

iv been searching on the net this afternoon with 1jz vs. rb25 discussions, and everywhere i read that 1jz is a better engine both in potential and strength. so now im feeling very undecided. the car is just going to be a track/drift car so its going to be under the pump a fair bit.

what are your views on 1jzgte vs. rb25det? pros and cons for its intended purpose.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

twin turbo 1jz or vvti 1jz? what gearbox?r154 or w58?

power wise, the 1j has it anyday on a pretty well standard engine.

they should really only take the same amount of time unless he doesnt have all the parts there.

either way just be a little bit wary of them

i bought a few things off them a while ago and it took them a long time to get me things id payed for. ie. 1 year later i received the last parts and at the time i had bought 2 rb25's and a shell from them so i was probably their best customer.

In my experience 1J is pretty much bulletproof when MAINTAINED and a hoot to drive no matter what its in just with bolt ons. X10 for the VVTi version

I suppose it comes down to if you want to commit to a conversion. Or just bolt in and go nuts

Some plus points for the 25 is of course bolt in, 5 Speed gearbox is cheaper, aftermarket parts avalibility, and short blocks are prob cheaper when it blows.

But if it was me, and I had the coin to do it properly it would be 1J all the way.

A better comparison is 1J VS RB26

In my experience 1J is pretty much bulletproof when MAINTAINED and a hoot to drive no matter what its in just with bolt ons. X10 for the VVTi version

I suppose it comes down to if you want to commit to a conversion. Or just bolt in and go nuts

Some plus points for the 25 is of course bolt in, 5 Speed gearbox is cheaper, aftermarket parts avalibility, and short blocks are prob cheaper when it blows.

But if it was me, and I had the coin to do it properly it would be 1J all the way.

A better comparison is 1J VS RB26

Not really. Rb26 would be compared to the 2jzgte.

Rb25<1jz<rb26<2jz

Not really. Rb26 would be compared to the 2jzgte.

Rb25<1jz<rb26<2jz

If you look at the pecking order, yes, thats how you would compare them.

But I believe that the 1J is a whole lot better then a 25. So not much point comparing them. Each to their own, but this is from what ive seen in front of me.

The day I see a 25 sit on the limiter for 3 minutes laying rubber is the day ill compare it to a 1J. I am no Toyota fanboy either, I own 3 skylines.

1jz>rb25, but in your case, go the 25, easier, cheaper etc.

it sounds like he doesnt want to do the 1jz conversion, thats why hes trying to talk you into the 25, much easier for him.

$7500 for a RB25 conversion + suspension + diff

I'm assuming the suspension and diff costs at least $3000???

No way a RB25 conversion costs anymore than $4500 at the absolute most, even then that is a silly price.

that includes exhaust, ecu, wiring, exhaust, labour, fmic, alloy rad, 2 way diff, few other bits that im missing etc.

1jz>rb25, but in your case, go the 25, easier, cheaper etc.

it sounds like he doesnt want to do the 1jz conversion, thats why hes trying to talk you into the 25, much easier for him.

theyv done a few recently and said that they'v lost a bit of money on them because prices have gone up on some parts. he was quite happy to still do it, just with his reasoning it seemed like the 25 was better

I think the Toyota engine is superior to the Nissan.

But you're doing a conversion so there's a lot more to look into than simply engine selection.

Before you make any decisions, have a close look at any 1 or 2JZ's installed in a Skyline or Silvia.

The exhaust manifold is on the opposite side to Nissan, so your brake and clutch master cylinders cop a lot of heat, especially as you've mentioned track/drift?

Exhaust will be dropping down in a very crowded area for any RHD vehicle.

You'll be paying someone for this work and it's obvious, the Nissan engine is the easiest (cheap/reliable) option.

engine quality the toyota engines are much better than the nissans.

as far as your conversion goes though, i would stick with the nissan engine as for the extra money that you save on putting the rb25 in you could do some upgrades to it and be better off.

however if it was me doing it, i would scrap the idea of using the r32 shell and just go out and buy a complete r33 gts-t and mod it. cost wise it is going to work out similar, considering the price of 33's these days and what you would get back from selling out the stripped parts. weight wise it is only a fraction heavier than a 32 (would only be a few kg's in it between a 32 with a 25 and a 33), especially once they are both stripped down to track spec. but as i said, that is the way i would go. you can do what you want

Just recently purchased a chaser (1JZ-GTE), and i must say its a better engine than the RB25. Stock vs stock the 1J is deff quicker. Well it feels like it. I have owned a skyline 33 (rb25) for 3 years, and now a chaser. Straight away i could feel the difference.

I would put a rb25 in that 32. Easier, cheaper and it will be less hassles.

I have just completed the rb25 conversion into the r32 - well worth it.

Car has more everything and the swap was pretty simple. From a part point of view the rb25 has it but from an engine point the 1jz

Maybe speak to afew people who have completed the 1j conversion and see what upsides/downside they have exprienced? It cant all be good :P