SAU Community

Lupes' Hr31 Gts-x

Lupes

Hey fellas, thought I would post up a thread about my 4th and current car, and my 4th R31.

It's still the original RB20 redtop ECCS, just clicked over to 140,000km the other day. All this is copied straight from the 31 club because I cbf re-typing it all;

FMIC with 2.5" piping, K&N pod, catch can, Walbro fuel pump, 2.5" exhaust with a split pulse dump pipe and a single muffler on the rear and fairly new Splitfire coilpacks. Gearbox is a rebuilt R32 5 speed with a Jim Berry custom organic clutch, and diff has also been rebuilt with a Nismo 2-way LSD and 3.9:1 gears out of a 280ZX or something along those lines.

Front suspension is made up of Bilstein shocks with Espelir springs and a GTS-R strut brace. All the bushes in the front end have also been replaced recently with Super Pro stuff. Rear suspension is just KYB shocks with Espelir springs again. Front brakes are slotted R32 GT-R rotors with R33 GTS-t calipers and braided brake lines.

On the outside it's got a GTS-R front bar and rear spoiler. Wheels are 17x8 +34 and 17x9.5 +15 Drift Teks with 215/45 RE001's up front and 235/45 KU31's on the rear. It also has the rubber ADthree mudflaps as well. Inside it has GTS-R bucket seats, a Tomei 240km/h dash and a Pioneer stereo with Clarion splits, tweeters and 6" rear speakers.

A few pictures.

3-2Small.jpg

1Small.jpg

camera2788ipSmall.jpg

Since it's been in my ownership, I've replaced the rear pads and machined the rotors at work, wasn't much left;

Image210Small.jpg

I've replaced all the drive belts, fitted a rebuilt RB30 alternator I had lying around, upgraded the single core radiator to a new genuine Nissan twin-core radiator and new thermostat and it's running Toyota coolant (best shit ever)

Bought an Apexi Power Intake kit off eBay to replace the dirty K&N thing;

Image231Small.jpg

I've replaced both lower control arm assemblies because the ball joints had a bit of wear in them, and word is that pressing the old joints out or new ones in distorts the hole in the arm, and down the track you need to replace the whole lot anyway.

Image234Small.jpg

I found some new wheels I'll be picking up this month hopefully, only hiccup is that the fronts are only 5 stud, whilst the rears are 4 and 5. So I found me some of these;

Image0000Medium.jpg

Z31 turbo floating 5 stud front hubs. Direct bolt-on for R31 stubs, exact same bearings and dust seal. Only difference is that the Z31 hubs have around 5mm of extra track compared to a HR31 4 stud hub, but I'm not one to complain about free offset. Replaced the wheel bearings whilst I was there. Here's a before and after shot;

Image0001Medium.jpg

Image0007Medium.jpg

Just spaced the caliper out with a couple of washers;

Image0006Medium.jpg

Image0014Medium.jpg

Future plans at this stage are to work on the handling side of things, I took it for a cruise with the R31 club last weekend and it really disappointed me. Once my wheels are payed off, I'll be buying new swaybars front and rear (currently a group buy on custom 24mm solid swaybars, as opposed to the stock 24 or 25mm hollow bar) completely rebushing the rear end with new solid subframe bushes, link pin and D bushes and trailing arm bushes, and removing HICAS. I'm hoping that the combination of bigger swaybars, new bushes, no HICAS and around 60mm of extra front track over standard will have it handling quite a bit better. Anyway, cheers for reading, here's some more pictures.

19239_305083654208_758854208_355019.jpg

IMG_19261600x1200Small.jpg

IMG_19391600x1200Small.jpg

IMG_19971600x1200Small.jpg

IMG_20591600x1200Small.jpg

DSC02461Medium.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha nah that was just a picture comparing the old pad to the new one. Eventually I'd like to fit some later model twin-piston rears as well, and they'll be rebuilt before they go on. I reckon it would look tough with an Autospoiler. I would prefer a functioning one over a fixed lip though because it scrapes coming into my driveway at the wrong angle now, so the lip would be off in no time if I can't flip it up.

Here's a picture of the new wheels;

4902P5120746.jpg

Work meshies, 17x8 +5 and 17x9 +11. Front will be effectively 0 offset with the Z31 front hubs, should sit rather flush I reckon, going to need a good guard roll. Main reason I wanted them is because they clear the GT-R brakes without spacers, they are good offset, and I love meshies The rears are going to sit in a little compared with the fronts, might put a slip on spacer on the rear just to even it out a bit.

Front dish;

IMG_2228.jpg

Rear dish;

IMG_2230.jpg

Edited by Lupes

LOL I think you're more keen to see them on than I am!

Picking the wheels up tomorrow, and also borrowing a guard roller from a member of the 31 club. Probably roll the guards tomorrow night and fit up the wheels Thursday at work with any luck.

Seriously not looking forward to the drive to Craigmore, hoping I miss peak hour.

Rolled the guards last night, went a little bit further than I would have liked but it's hardly noticeable unless you're up close. But so far no scrubbing which is a plus.

The front two wheels have a slight buckle in them, but I got them to balance up perfect at work and haven't had any vibrations as of yet up to around 80km/h, so they're already much better than the drift teks with the slip on spacers.

I can feel a definite difference in the way the car drives with the extra track, much more stable on the road, especially coming into a corner, I was pretty surprised actually how much difference more track makes.

Anyway, some pictures;

Image0019Medium.jpg

Image0024Medium.jpg

Image0023Medium.jpg

Caliper clearance;

Image0021Medium.jpg

Edited by Lupes

Rear needs to come down a bit, and nein to spacers, one of the reasons I bought these rims is because they clear the GT-R brakes without spacers, defeats the purpose if I put spacers on to make them more flush.

Edited by Lupes