SAU Community

The Ls1 R33 Of Fury

MBS206

On 1/19/2022 at 9:13 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

Nice, hopefully see you out at a few events once the car is ready.

Possible! Depending on the events, ha ha.

Plan is some motorkhana style stuff, possibly hill climbs, and the rare track day. (Budget is limited for the more expensive fun :P )

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 9:42 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

I do a bit of everything and will be joining a local business that runs events so bound to run into each other at some point.
Have a look at Gold Rush Hill Climb great event and I'll be driving it this year. 

Which company are you joining?

Ive avoided the last few years really looking at too much stuff, but have seen Skid Control around. They look to run a couple of events of interest.

Ill have to check out Gold Rush hill climb, the name sounds cool :P

my trouble is still mainly time to finish the car. hopefully by end of feb ill have wiring all tested out, and fuel lines ran, so i can test fire the engine. Then it will be back to completely fix the wiring how I want it, and then do all the other fifty million jobs. Including possibly pulling the engine again to move its position slightly...

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 9:47 PM, MBS206 said:

Which company are you joining?

Ive avoided the last few years really looking at too much stuff, but have seen Skid Control around. They look to run a couple of events of interest.

Ill have to check out Gold Rush hill climb, the name sounds cool :P

my trouble is still mainly time to finish the car. hopefully by end of feb ill have wiring all tested out, and fuel lines ran, so i can test fire the engine. Then it will be back to completely fix the wiring how I want it, and then do all the other fifty million jobs. Including possibly pulling the engine again to move its position slightly...

Its skid control, good events to drive at and variety of stuff even starting to do some dirt events.

Yeah not a small amount of work, you still filming the build?

On 1/19/2022 at 9:53 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

Its skid control, good events to drive at and variety of stuff even starting to do some dirt events.

Yeah not a small amount of work, you still filming the build?

Nice, i like the look of their events, likely see you at one one day, ha ha.

Yeah, heaps and heaps to do. I used to have a list, and it was huge. Then i realised i was missi g 75% of the stuff i had to do :P

as to videoing, i had given up on it, so car is further along than the videos show. I didnt have the patience to keep moving cameras, and then editting.

since the vids, motor has been in and out, mounts rebuilt, exhaust ive built, i just havent fully welded it, just in case i move the motor again, ha ha. Ill probably rebuild the gearbox mount, maybe. Ha ha.

Full engine loom has been modded, currently retaining the ford fuse box. Whole car had no wiring in it when i started this again.

All rear end wiring was cleaned out, fixed up, and its working again.

If i connect all the ground wire points, and run the heavy cable to the starter and alternator, in theory wiring is "working".

Still some shortening of wires, and probably change how part of the engine loom routes and a rewrap of it until im.happy on its wiring.

Have also had the rear cradle out, tank was out, fully cleaned the tank out, rear cradle back in, both front hubs replaced (second hand parts).

Still need to do the radiator/cooling system, inlet piping, connect all PS lines up, do the auxilary belt changes i need, rebuild the brakes, replace shocks and springs, reattach radiator support upper piece, make new reo bar, do all the wiring for lights and cabin switches for those.

Then mount the bucket seats, harnesses, finalise the dash set how i want (including doing digital dashboard, working out what i want to do with it).

Oh and build the tailshaft.

Hopefully by then, itll be done, and i can take it out and break it straight away :P

I am now 3 edited videos in for the getz and got 2 more to edit for the 180sx. It definitely takes longer to do stuff filming but I am enjoying doing something different.

Once you go through everything it becomes a big list. Keep chipping away be done in no time. Post up some progress pics when you have time.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:32 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

I am now 3 edited videos in for the getz and got 2 more to edit for the 180sx. It definitely takes longer to do stuff filming but I am enjoying doing something different.

Once you go through everything it becomes a big list. Keep chipping away be done in no time. Post up some progress pics when you have time.

Whats that, i can send you raw footage to edit? :P

i cant sit down and edit videos for an hour. But funnily I can sit and 3D model for 6 hours straight :P

• Haha 1

On 1/20/2022 at 10:22 PM, Neil said:

Congrats on the house purchase buddy, now just calm down and plan it all out sensibly. Remember I'm only a phone call away.

Might need to make phone calls for garage plans before further car plans :P

• 5 months later...

Something happened... but it doesnt look like much yet...

Hopefully next weekend a bunch more gets done...

It was like this...

20220616_205503.thumb.jpg.9f5a25e1a0797fa9d31d23687fd495db.jpg

20220616_205615.thumb.jpg.8ad73d8e3df37152fd1e7936dbcc2233.jpg

I got it All tested and plans set...

Ended like this

20220621_204551.thumb.jpg.0ab3ae4268ad36f5200ed4bfdebbdf4e.jpg20220621_204607.thumb.jpg.906a0828b51844f7f32e5b080b14585a.jpg

one of the connecting looms above i can remove entirely to remove a chunk of wiring. I have brand new Deutsch DT connector to crimp on.

All new TE Modular fuse box and relay box to build and wire in.

Then should be mostly done electrically

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

No updates on the R33 as life hasn't given me time right now.

But... It does now have to share some room in the Garage with something Jap 80s...

Oh, and someone built this house too close to the fence... First go, no guides.

Yeah, won't put it in this far again as I bet I'll take both the left and right poles at the same time :P

PXL_20220924_104153972.jpg

PXL_20220917_043447444.jpg

PXL_20220917_040009220.jpg

PXL_20220917_040022706.jpg

PXL_20220917_040042090.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well, not much had happened with the R33 since it's last update, until this weekend.

I made the time to stop, and do a heap of wiring work.

Engine is pretty much wired up now.

Things remaining in wiring:

- run main wiring to the fuel pump, (coil side of relay done).

- wire radiator fan in, once I buy a thermo fan.

- extend wires for butterly to change short/long runners (engine will be happy without it done, but I'd lose low down).

- run main power line for fusebox to battery.

- put terminals on the earth lines.

- earth the motor to chassis.

From there, things remaining for wiring:

- wire reverse lights in, finish wiring brake lights in (part done).

- wire in headlights.

In addition, I'm getting some black Lexan laser cut, where the fuse panel and relay block are cable tied, is roughly where they'll end up on the acrylic, in a nice easy to reach, and easy to see position. The OBD2 plug will be in the acrylic panel too.

The loom will end up braid wrapped once I've proven it is all good.

There's a couple of wires tied up in a bunch, being for O2 and speed input. Speed will be sorted later, O2 I might hook up, or run open loop for now.PXL_20230226_055215454.thumb.jpg.6e932466e297af0eb92c47d3dcbcc576.jpgPXL_20230226_055139321.thumb.jpg.3acb29e150ec573631b886211971f894.jpgPXL_20230226_055131149.thumb.jpg.e74b14b29c41152cc57f5a65d269e4aa.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Good tackling the wiring.het the 02 in there as that's easy.

How far off drivable after finishing wiring?

Yeah I'll very likely get the O2 in. It's only the stock Falcon ECU, so O2 is only narrowband. 

I just need to run the cables across and out into the engine bay. Likely to do it when my new plugs arrive (in the post). I'll run headlight looms at the same time.

How far off driveable... Unfortunately, a fair bit. Ha ha

Rough Todo to make it the most bare for "driving" as a loose term...

Get a tail shaft made

Fuel lines, and fuel pump into tank.

bleed clutch

Proper driveable:

the above 3 items.

brake master in, everything bled.

new pads, likely new rotors needed too.

modify alloy radiator, and then plumb it up.

air intake

seats in

harness in

new shocks

speed sensor

put headlights actually in.

make new reo bar

front bar back on.

Make the part of the radiator support that's been cut out, a bolt in item, OR weld it back in.

fully weld the exhaust up (it's only tacked in place to make sure I'm fully happy with it, plan to move engine a few mm up, so won't fully weld until after that.)

then there's still going to be other things that will crop up I'm guessing. But just keep plodding through things.

There's a few items on your list that are not that hard, push on and do them or you will never be able to go out and play. Pull your finger out.

I can send you my templates to make an airbox if that helps, mine bolts to the n/s chassis rail and up to the top of the skirt.

19 hours ago, Neil said:

There's a few items on your list that are not that hard, push on and do them or you will never be able to go out and play. Pull your finger out.

I can send you my templates to make an airbox if that helps, mine bolts to the n/s chassis rail and up to the top of the skirt.

Yep, there's some stuff that isn't hard.

At the moment we're feeling a financial pinch, so even dropping $100 on a few little things is hard to justify.

But my some of my new Deutsch DT series plugs arrived today (without ever spending a cent... :D ) so the plan is to attempt to finish the motor wiring (extend what I need to, get O2 hooked up) and get the wiring for the lights all done, as well as the fuel pump. I think I even have some spare 4awg and the correct crimps to make a few earth straps from.

That gets all the wiring done, I can prove it all works, and the wrap the looms and pin them where I want them.

From there, jobs I can move onto is looking at mounting both seats back in, and mounting the passenger harness.

I'll also review thoroughly the factory fuel lines (they'd been under water without the ends covered, and DID gunk up, so I need to see if they're okay, or I have to run new hard line.

I also need to spend some time this weekend replacing bushes in a friend's Patrol, and rewiring his lights in the bullbar. So really, Skyline wiring, and then working on the Patrol is probably this weekend's end of the line jobs.

While I think of it, does anyone know how the power steering valve in the R33 racks work, is it an analogue voltage, or 12V PWM etc?

So, weekend didn't pan out how I intended.

Saturday was an entire write off, I was quite sick.

Sunday, still not feeling great, had to do a few adult things, but got a couple of hours in feeling still under the weather.

End result:

-loom built and ran to rear of car for all the rear lights, and fuel pump.

- fuel pump all wired to top of the tank cap.

- brake lights wired to brake switch.

- reverse lights fully wired to the gearbox and working.

- main power cable to fuse panel ran.

Lights tested with a 5amp power supply, not enough current to run all four brake lights with, so didn't snap a photo of the brakes.

PXL_20230305_055246726.thumb.jpg.2edea522371fdc87645d850967a43a6c.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

hey mate,

back to your LS1, im doing it myself in a series 2 r33. Pretty much done, all in all running etc etc

How did you get the starter motor to not hit the steering arm!? 

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2023 at 10:16 AM, Adz2332 said:

hey mate,

back to your LS1, im doing it myself in a series 2 r33. Pretty much done, all in all running etc etc

How did you get the starter motor to not hit the steering arm!? 

Hey, 
Sorry, didn't see this message.

I don't recall any issues with it off the top of my head.
I remember it was tight back there between motor, firewall, and inner guard area to get exhaust through.