SAU Community

The Ls1 R33 Of Fury

MBS206

At te moment, the motor will go in stock, with a set of extractors and 3" exhaust, and fully tuned. Fully tuned around 220rwkw. But a VERY big useable power band.

Once I put the cam in, 280/290 rwkw with still a very useable power band (2500 rpm to 7000rpm and instant throttle, and keeping the super short diff ratio)

Pretty much well details on the swap, basically standard 5.7L 6speed manual running an adaptronic e1280s, camber arms, new coil overs, new seats, under the dash stripped out (no air con or stereo shit). Still debating on whether I strip the sound deadenin or not. Being setup for sprints, hill climbs and the rare cruise.

there is a kit that swaps the starter motor to the other side if that helps....

Thats what the old commy boys do anyway..

http://www.rodshop.com.au/holden/vl.htm

http://www.rodshop.com.au/trans_conversions/ap/ap130.htm

for 995$ it includes a new starter and could save alot of headaches..

there were alot of similarities between VLs and skylines, I remember seeing a VL In a magazine that had a complete GTR drivetrain and the guy said it almost fit straight in so Id be looking at what else may fit from these kits, the extractors maybe close to a fit even..

Cheers Arthur, that's very interesting there indeed. Thanks for the link.

I'll speak further with Brad about it.

Edit: Although a new starter is only around $330... So it is a fair expense more for a few bolts and the spacer plate...

I've just fitted one of those "kits" into a vr commodore with a gen3 manual conversion. It is a pain in the frickin backside, the bolts supplied werent the right length or even thread type for the plate, it was missing a spacer for the bolts to. Bolts that were supplied were m6 thread, thread in plate is 1/4unc. In the instructions it also doesnt tell you to machine out the bellhousing so that the starter motor gear can actually come out of the housing.

Just a heads up.

I've just fitted one of those "kits" into a vr commodore with a gen3 manual conversion. It is a pain in the frickin backside, the bolts supplied werent the right length or even thread type for the plate, it was missing a spacer for the bolts to. Bolts that were supplied were m6 thread, thread in plate is 1/4unc. In the instructions it also doesnt tell you to machine out the bellhousing so that the starter motor gear can actually come out of the housing.

Just a heads up.

That sounds perfectly normal for what comes out of CRS actually

I'm not bad mouthing it fully it is a well thought up bit of kit, BUT for the price you pay for it they could have made it a complete bolt on affair.

Since Rod Hadfield sold CRS the quality/care factor of their bits has gone down hill

I did call them in regards to custom/one off bits and pieces too, and they no longer do one offs. I was informed all that they will do is churn out "kits".

I've spoken with brad in regards to the steering rack changes, and I feel much safer letting him f**k with the rack then buy that kit and not know what will happen.

We've discussed things and the geometry will be "normal", the rack is being moved towards the drivers side, and then extended on the passenger side so that we don't have different length arms.

Yeah sounds like you have a cluey man on the job anyway, I wish you the best of luck with it and I will be watching with anticipation for sure

If you dont mind me asking what sort of budget are you hoping to achieve the conversion for, not including the engine cost..Or would you rather not think about it :D

Love my V8s and have thought about it plenty of times..

Since Rod Hadfield sold CRS the quality/care factor of their bits has gone down hill

This is news to me, when did that happen?

Yeah sounds like you have a cluey man on the job anyway, I wish you the best of luck with it and I will be watching with anticipation for sure

If you dont mind me asking what sort of budget are you hoping to achieve the conversion for, not including the engine cost..Or would you rather not think about it :D

Less than what he has spent on breaking RB30's over the years :nyaanyaa:

Love my V8s and have thought about it plenty of times..

Well everything included, engine, box, clutch, ecu, wiring, etc etc (There's lots of little shit!) I'll be happy if I can get out of this for under 12K. After doing so many motors, I know that this will go over budget... But I do have a heap of spare parts (RB25 Gearbox, head etc) that are all up for sale to help compensate)

And I did pick up my motor and gearbox for an absolute steal (And clutch!)...

Also, that's not including everything I'm doing suspension wise, as well as inside the cabin. (New Seats, redoing bits behind the dash, gauges etc)

yeah i was thinking you be lucky to get it done under 10k so you have confirmed that..

But honestly if I ever was to spend money on my car I would do this before an rb30' . no doubt a bit of hassle for inital setup but so much potential..

does that money include any chassis bracing or engineering reports or whatever for rego or is that just to get it fitted and running for the track..Id love to do it just to see the 'WTF' look on a coppers face when he popped the bonnet :laugh:

That's in fitted and running.

No engineers report. Nothing :(

This thing sparcely sees the road, it only ever used it's rego to go to events really ( half the events it went to itcame back on a trailer)

To be honest, by the time I got this car running with the rb30 the first time, it'll cost me the same as the v8. Considering I was about to build a forged 30, a few more grand for this is way better!!!