SAU Community

Ati Harmonic Balancer

huddy

Ok, my engine build has commenced I'll update another thread shortly - I just need to know what what spec ATI harmonic balancer and part number I should use.

engine will be approx 350rwkw - RB 26 / 30 in a cefiro.

should I go for the 600HP or 1000HP option?

as for pulleys they should be similar to R32 - but what do i need to look for to confirm belts? (should I check grooves on alternator / power steering pulleys?)

who sells them at a reasonable price - haven't seen much under $900.00

also done some reading and I think some ppl have ordered from Summit racing - anyone had any experience with them? seems to be a bit cheaper than local ones... (maybe...)

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/A...AN/?Ns=Rank|Asc

thanks

-Matt

Ok, my engine build has commenced I'll update another thread shortly - I just need to know what what spec ATI harmonic balancer and part number I should use.

engine will be approx 350rwkw - RB 26 / 30 in a cefiro.

should I go for the 600HP or 1000HP option?

as for pulleys they should be similar to R32 - but what do i need to look for to confirm belts? (should I check grooves on alternator / power steering pulleys?)

who sells them at a reasonable price - haven't seen much under $900.00

also done some reading and I think some ppl have ordered from Summit racing - anyone had any experience with them? seems to be a bit cheaper than local ones... (maybe...)

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/A...AN/?Ns=Rank|Asc

thanks

-Matt

Hey there Matt, I ordered one from Summit only about 2 weeks ago, got here in 5 days using the US postal service option (cheapest option) and all up with freight etc I landed it on my doorstep for $730AUD. I got the 1000hp unit. Not fitted yet, I am running similar HP to you.

Summit were really good. They had 6 in stock at the time.

I went with this one: ATI-917752

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATI-917752/

Notice its a bit confusing since in their description it says its for 1995-1998... but I think this is just a typo. If you look up that part no on the ATI website you'll see it the 7" 1000hp one for R32. (at least I hope so!!)

http://www.atiracing.com/products/dampers/...s/damnissan.htm

Edited by R32 TT

Photos sometimes help - and I really need to get into the habit of taking more... sort of a record of all the money I waste... :down:

The Label on the box will inpsire you with more confidence Matt.

gallery_20408_3700_72718.jpg

gallery_20408_3700_145718.jpg

gallery_20408_3700_247450.jpg

gallery_20408_3700_138355.jpg

I got 3x 1000hp ATI RB26 balancers from Summit, and a bunch of gauges, easy to deal with but shipping can be harsh :ninja: On the up side, they now send me a catalogue every couple of months :)

Pretty sure Matt has the numbers correct but if you want me to check my box shoot me a PM.

Just make sure you keep your order below AU$1000 (including shipping) or you WILL get stung with import duties. It cost me nearly $400 to get the 3x balancers and 4x gauges out of customs when they arrived :cool: and a little birdie told me that ALL Summit Racing boxes get stopped.

Edited by bubba

Can't help you there as I got the 32 RB26 item.

Wouldn't hurt to send Summit an email, I found them quite helpful last time I made enquiries with them.

I've got to ask why are people going to the ATI balancer over the std balancer? I cant find any information on ati's website about its benefit other than how pretty they look. Whats the difference between the 600hp and the 1000hp other than the label on the box?

I've got to ask why are people going to the ATI balancer over the std balancer? I cant find any information on ati's website about its benefit other than how pretty they look. Whats the difference between the 600hp and the 1000hp other than the label on the box?

To pull as much harmonic vibration as possible. The 1000hp has a larger diameter so will be more effective but needs to be rebuilt fairly often...the 600hp models are pretty much set for the life of the engine.

Edited by Swiper the Fox

To pull as much harmonic vibration as possible. The 1000hp has a larger diameter and needs to be rebuilt fairly often...the 600hp models are pretty much set for the life of the engine.

And is there any data to suggest the secondary moments are being reduced when compared to std balancers?

Fair question Rob.

It was explained to me a couple of years back that the standard RB26 balancer was probably up to the task, especially since I would most likely not rev the RB30 as much as the RB26.. that made sense to me. Then someone scared me by saying something like "What..? You're not putting a decent balancer on??" :thumbsup: So yes, without any 'real' scientific evidence I went ahead and bought one for peace of mind. Its a bit like the "broken N1 Pump" story... I have not broken mine, but now while the motor is out, I am changing to a Tomei purely not to take a chance.

Those facts and the fact that some of the big horsepower guys seemed to think they were worth it. In fact I noted in several places people commenting that the ATI were perhaps better than the Ross Metal Jacket.. so I figured if people are picking some sort of diff between two 'high performance' units, then surely both of these are still better than the std item (else why would these guys bother)... Apparently Mark Berry and Russ were throwing belts using the Ross and all probs went away when they fitted an ATI - again - forum info only - so I am not sure of this or not...

Last of all, I noted that Balancers can be 'rebuilt' which infers they 'wear out' or become less effective over time.. my RB26 balancer is nearly 20 years old... so I figured time for a new one. Having said that I do know plenty of guys running some good GTR's with the std balancer so.....

.........oh and plus, y'know.. it looks better.. and as everyone knows, fitting something that looks better is good for say.. half a second a lap? :thumbsup: