SAU Community

V36 Power Upgrade Options

Haxorz

Hey guys,

Am looking at getting a V36 370GT SP in the next few months.

I've test driven one of these and the power isn't bad at 245kw, although my R34 puts out about 300kw and that's what I'm used to now.

Being a NA engine, what type of mods can I do to give these things a bit more power (without putting on a turbo or supercharger?). I mean an exhaust is going to do stuff all to an NA car right? I've only modded turbos for the last 10 years, I have no ideas on an NA.

Also, does anyone know of any successfully turboed/supercharged V36's in Australia? There are some good value kits out there from Japan and the US, but I don't want to be the guinea cop.

David.

David,

You're going to struggle mate to find anything in oz. The V36 has literally just got here, so there are very few on the ground, and even fewer people who are preppared to fork out around $10k for forced induction of some sorts. I doubt you'll find a tuner who has done an oil change on one.

If the V35's are anything to go off, it was a good year or so if not more, after they started landing that people were looking at serious power upgrades.

You'd be much better off checking a site like G37driver or something and see what people over there are using. Just remember though not all US mods are a straight bolt on as you have the steering wheel and its components on the opposite side.

Wow some guy did a 13.835 @ 101.89 1/4 mile. That's what the 300kw HSV's do.

Not bad for a stock automatic. Maybe I won't need a power upgrade in a hurry?

Edited by Haxorz

Assuming the engines are very similar to 370Zs, I've seen dyno runs of around 200rwkw with cat-back exhausts, but printouts didn't show the base runs without exhaust. I think it would be safe to assume around 10 - 15 rwkw if you did exhaust and high-flow cats and another 10rwkw or so with some fuel-trim and timing advance. Other than that there's not much you can do to them (NA-wise) without big costs and sacrifices. Is your number plate the same as your forum name, I think I've seen your car around?

Assuming the engines are very similar to 370Zs, I've seen dyno runs of around 200rwkw with cat-back exhausts, but printouts didn't show the base runs without exhaust. I think it would be safe to assume around 10 - 15 rwkw if you did exhaust and high-flow cats and another 10rwkw or so with some fuel-trim and timing advance. Other than that there's not much you can do to them (NA-wise) without big costs and sacrifices. Is your number plate the same as your forum name, I think I've seen your car around?

Yep that's my Black R34 GTT.

It'll be going up for sale once I find the V36... I'm going to miss her...

Yeah I think it's poor bang for buck modding an NA. Another 20rwkw would be nice though, to bring it to say 275kw at the flywheel.

Hey Kam-80 - do you know a good resource for finding out more info on 370z tuning in Australia?

OK have just been doing plenty of looking around at what APS offers (http://www.airpowersystems.com/350z/japanese_import_article/aps_twin_turbo_3.htm)

They put me in touch with High Torque performance in Doveton Vic, who will supply, fit and custom tune a Unichip for $1550. Takes 1 day, will add 10-15% of power.

So that's 245kw to 270kw / 280kw.

Better fuel economy too apparently.

Hey Kam-80 - do you know a good resource for finding out more info on 370z tuning in Australia?

Not really, the tuning scene for V-series / Z-series isn't nearly as big as Silvias ans R-series Skylines. Keep an eye on 370Z forums in the states. Because the cars are relatively cheap there, you'll find a lot more people churning out fairly powerful examples and the platform sharing betwen V37 and Z34 should extend to engine, drivetrain and suspension.

From a Unichip workshop:

'We have done several 370z cars. Unichip fitted and tuned makes about

another 10-12 kw at the tyres. Better down low torque as well. Also a

bit better on fuel. Exhausts have done little for the cars other than

better sound. Aps have stopped production of all performance components.'

10-12rwkw sounds about right...main restriction in the exhaust will be the cats, but off-the-shelf bolt-in jobs are hard to find...and when you do find them, they're expensive as...my 350Z on the dyno yielded about...

fuel trim + small timing advance 10rwkw

custom high-flow cats and Y-pipe 7rwkw

Didn't do a dyno pre and post intake mods / cat-back exhaust. With some breathing mods and tuning V36 should make in excess of 200rwkw easy.

like most na any bolt ons are nothing compared to FI

but at least we have decent base power & torque

myG37.com you'll find a lot of examples, I find that americans seem to be less picky on noise quality with their exhausts, a lot of exhausts they have sound like my Fujitsubo legalis R without the mufflers installed, just pipes lol

+ most of their HFC either bring up check engine lights, make the exhaust sound raspy as fark or add a fuel smell to the cabin

definitely invest in swaybars as stock handling is shitfully woeful & geared towards japanese businessmen

if you get an auto definitely get an engine grounding kit, as our cars use Electronic Fly By wire there is a definite improvement in shifting feel & throttle response when you ground the throttle bodies

13.9 at WSID stock, haven't bothered taking it back since my exhaust & suspension

oil changes are piss easy, I use 350z oil filter & 350z air filters

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Am looking at getting a V36 370GT SP in the next few months.

I've test driven one of these and the power isn't bad at 245kw, although my R34 puts out about 300kw and that's what I'm used to now.

Being a NA engine, what type of mods can I do to give these things a bit more power (without putting on a turbo or supercharger?). I mean an exhaust is going to do stuff all to an NA car right? I've only modded turbos for the last 10 years, I have no ideas on an NA.

Also, does anyone know of any successfully turboed/supercharged V36's in Australia? There are some good value kits out there from Japan and the US, but I don't want to be the guinea cop.

David.

have a look at

for GTMs new supercharger kit. Been told by them its suitable for RHD.

I'be had a v36 for about 6 months and the power is great for stock, only thing is engine response it a tad slower than some would expect.

overall its been good so far

I'be had a v36 for about 6 months and the power is great for stock, only thing is engine response it a tad slower than some would expect.

overall its been good so far

Grounding kit would help with that

Nice video.

Should be good priced coming out of the US. I also like the stock engine cover look too.

I'd imagine it shouldn't be too hard finding someone to fit and tune here. Wonder what it'll do on 98 fuel...

Also wonder if it'll improve responsiveness or just top end?

have a look at
for GTMs new supercharger kit. Been told by them its suitable for RHD.

This sounds like a more viable modification than going twin turbo not to mention a simpler installation too, relatively speaking. I think this will have to be the way to go when the 370GT sedans finally get the green light.