SAU Community

Spun Big End Bearing?

i was thinking , an rb26 being twin turbo, if one turbo was a bit worn and not spooling as fast or as much psi as the other , could that not cause some sort of unbalanced motor and put extra force on one end of the motor??:whistling:

and if the compression was a bit up and down and even the weight of the pistons,rods,etc was different all that put together could cause a spun bearing couldnt it?? does an rb26 have two boost guages??:mellow:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was thinking , an rb26 being twin turbo, if one turbo was a bit worn and not spooling as fast or as much psi as the other , could that not cause some sort of unbalanced motor and put extra force on one end of the motor??:whistling:

and if the compression was a bit up and down and even the weight of the pistons,rods,etc was different all that put together could cause a spun bearing couldnt it?? does an rb26 have two boost guages??:mellow:

simple answer? no.

Is glittery oil normal after a fresh engine rebuild. I just rebuilt my motor and im hearing a noise as weel from cylinders 5 and 6. Sounds like more of a top end noise with the stethescope but im curious about the glittery oil during the break in period. Looks like a goldish color.....

Gold is generally a bad sign as it is often the seconf layer of material on bearings... that said it could be numerous things.

Oil analysis is the best bet or change the oil out now and recheck it down the track... there should be minimal shavings in any motor (even after fresh build, as it should have been thoroughly cleaned to start with) its like circulating sand... bad.

Nowadays there is far less run in material in the oil in a first oil change due to better equipment and tolerances being used.