SAU Community

Saw A Hit And Run

S4T4N

Saw a hit and run between an older model red Commodore 'S' and a Silver/Blue Magna early this morning on Canterbury rd at Blackburn South. My friend and I were front seat witnesses. The Commodore speed off straight after the hit (did a small burnout), leaving the lady Magna driver looking very shocked. I could see her shaking and hitting her head as I drove passed :)

I stopped further down and my friend tried to flag her down to stop but she avoided eye contact and looked too shocked to stop.

My friend and I tried to give details at a police station near my work place hoping they can pass details to her but they didn't look to keen to help out. So if by any stroke of luck you know the unlucky lady and she needs info on the other car, feel free to PM me about it and we will give her details to hopefully help her with insurance. :)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if by any stroke of luck you know the unlucky lady and she needs info on the other car, feel free to PM me about it and we will give her details to hopefully help her with insurance. :)

did you get the lady's numberplates? go to the cops, and say "this car with this plate, hit this car with this plate". they should be able to contact the lady by running her plates. obviously leave your details cos she'll need you as a witness.

did you get the lady's numberplates? go to the cops, and say "this car with this plate, hit this car with this plate". they should be able to contact the lady by running her plates. obviously leave your details cos she'll need you as a witness.

I did get the rego for both cars and gave it to the cops. The cop i spoke to didn't look interested at all in running her plates. I asked if they could pass the details to her and the cop kept saying it depends if she lodge a report or not, they will not be able to get her - which i find it kinda strange. I would have guess it would be easy for them to cross reference the type of cars to the rego my friend and i provided.

so in case the cops decide to just shelf my printout details i gave them of the incident, i taught i best try here as well.

I've dealt with several officers in the last 6 months who've shown no interest in doing their job, one of which involved a person running a red light and totaling my car.

You should call crime stoppers or that hoon line, pass on all the details and then report the cop who you spoke to. If he's not willing to do his job or take the time to at least pass the details on he should quit or be fired..

funny enough as we were walking down to the police station we were talking about crime stoppers been a better idea.....

but hoon line....why didn't i think of that! :down:

call 3aw tomorrow speak to neil mitchell, tell him what happened, pass on all the details hopefully someone who knows the lady may be listening.

also tell neil that the cops were not willing to help, he likes that.

have you seen the amount of paperwork they have to do?

Just like any job there are a lot of formalities involved! so you have to deal with it and still maintain a level of customer/stakeholder management even if you don't have the appetitive for it. Part of the pay check :)

I must agmit though i have definately bumped into some real decent police officers before so there should be no reason to constently slag them on here (not refering to you funkymonkey), but the occational ones do give them all a bad reputation. Its mainly the new ones or the power trips they go on.

Graeme to the rescue!

I've dealt with several officers in the last 6 months who've shown no interest in doing their job, one of which involved a person running a red light and totaling my car.

Did you have insurance? If so, even on third party plans most insurance companies will chase up a hit and run for you. If they won't, go legal.

i hate going to the cop shop for ANY reason....

whenever you go there they always make you feel like you have "interrupted" them.

i have been as a witness and a victim on multiple occasions and it's always the same.

Probably because they get alot of tools who go in there complaining their neighbour trimmed their plants on their side of the fence etc. But yes I'm with you, genuine enquiries really should be better attended to. The old "I'm going away on leave/holidays tomorrow so I won't be able to file a report until I get back" gets thrown around too much. As far as I know property damage is a civil matter. When you are injured in a car accident the police will do something about it because that becomes criminal. If it's just a bashed in bumper, forget about it.

Guys and girls, if you are the victim of a hit and run, file an accident report straight away with the police...but then get your insurance company onto it immediately. If they can't/won't help you then get onto a solicitor. The police are much more cooperative when things get legal and writing is put to paper. If it's not worth the cost of a solicitor then it isn't worth you chasing it up in the first place - trust me when I say the time involved on your behalf will far outweigh your outcome.

Graeme to the rescue!

Did you have insurance? If so, even on third party plans most insurance companies will chase up a hit and run for you. If they won't, go legal.

Third party insurance and it involved a serious accident where a person ran a red light at over 80kmh. I started a thread about it a few months ago.

My solicitors required the police to take a witness statement from a person. The officer in charge of the matter was in hospital for surgery and was away for 3 weeks. The other officers I spoke to at the station had the "not my problem attitude", it wasn't until I had my solicitor contact them and a few stern phone calls that anything was actually done. This delayed the legal process by close to a month and probably cost me more in legal fees, not to mention an extra month without a car and a month where the only witness to the incident could have been run over by a bus.

One of the other incidents involved a hit and run. I went straight to the police station and reported it. The attitude of the officer was appalling, as someone mentioned above, he acted as if I had no business interrupting him.

I have a couple of relatives who are officers, both are fed up with the attitude of their fellow officers and their complete lack of work ethic. Unfortunately it seems to be causing the good ones to leave.

If these people don't want to do their job, they should find a new profession. If I acted like this at work I would be disciplined or fired.

Edited by Priestley

Yer I have to agree with you - it's not hard to make distinction between honest hard working police and the other type. Tone of voice alone will give you that idea. I recall Graeme expressing contempt for the many colleagues who had disdain for some of the dirtier / harder duties required of the police force.

i hate going to the cop shop for ANY reason....

whenever you go there they always make you feel like you have "interrupted" them.

i have been as a witness and a victim on multiple occasions and it's always the same.

Hmm. I have to agree. Funnily enough I find most of the guys out breath testing and "randomly" pulling me up for a look at the car are usually as "normal" as a person can get. However every time I've ever had to talk to anybody operating the front counter in the station. WOW

For some reason all the guys with no personality always seem to get the role of dealing with people at the counter. Get these guys either out the back doing paperwork or get them out doing something useful. I'm sure there are cool people with personality in the police force that would be much better representatives to the force for that role.

Its no different to any business/company/group etc. If you have no personality then chances are you won't be first choice at dealing with the public/customers etc. All about having the right person in the right job.

Matter has been reprted to police and under investigation. I have given informant details to Sue for her to contact. They have offending vehicle details so offender will be chased up and charged with number of offences.

I hope this puts everyone's mind at ease.