SAU Community

Sw20 Track Car

I did own a R33 GTST a few years ago which has since been sold. A few years ago I decided to build a deicated track car to have some fun with. One thing lead to another and ended up with the car you see now.

I spent 12mths building the car to a level to get to the track and get started then develop the car more as time goes by. Its that little 'I can make it better' syndrome most of us suffer who are into cars. .

What I have now is stage one with more to come in due course.

Handing:

A few people helped a lot regarding the set up for the car which I took on board and added to the car. This included the lowering of the rollcetre with adjustment plates on the ball joint(32mm), lowering the rear toe adjustment links then fitting AE86 toe links( with persausion..),lowering the steering tie rods, the caster links have also been lowered. The RCA's also have a camber adjustment which sets the camber at about 2.5-2.7. All urethene or rose joint llinks throughout the car. Suspension is Tein coilovers with 8kg(Tein) rear and 7.5kg(Eibach) up front. Sway bars are 22mm front and rear.

The Chassis:

Seam welded front and rear strut towers, all front and rear internal panels, structual panels, windscreen frame, door frames, rear window and other bits and pieces.

Installed a 10 point bonded CDS CAMS spec rollcage which starts at the the front strut tower and finished at the rear.

Weight reduction:

Every bolt was cut back, doors cut to shreads, deadner removed, second rear firewall removed, steering column replaced with toyota echo column to save 5+kg,lexan windows, all unnessessary fittings removed, rewire.

So I went a little crazy but had a great ime inthe process.

Other Mods:

Improved radiator air flow with ducting

Relocated the IC to above the engine

Relocated the air intake to the top of the engine bay

Oil cooler

Apexi AVCR

Internal door handle is now stainless steel wire cable pull system

Rear wing mounted through to the chassis rails

Incar camera for rear view

Reloacted lights to the front bar

Pumped gaurds(IT came with this)

And the list does on..

The weight is close to 1050kg or less. I will weigh the car soon enough but based on the log I have this is a pretty close estimate.

The engine has a few little mods which help but I have yet ot see its potential due to a problem we created with the rewire. Should be fixed soon.

Paint:

I found the colour scheme on a F430 that runs on ALMS. We masked and painted it in two pac one sunday.

The future plans:

Im installing a new brake system at the moment with a run expected in a week or two. Just waiting on the caliper spacers and a few other items. Its 330x35 front(Alcon 'C' spec calipers), 300x35(wilwood superlites), Tilton series 600 triple floor mounted pedal box, adjustable brake bias.

Fuel system will updated soon

More weight reduction

More weight reduction!

Undertray

Additional bracing to the front and rear chassis rails before superlap

Diff and the typical engine mods to see 200-240kw at the wheels

I to will be running with EVO at superlap this year and the car will hopefully be reliable and holds it manners and not eject me into the sand too often.

It is loud and total blast to drive

Here are the pic's

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_4880.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Mon_0247.jpg

Mon_0858.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

Have always wanted to build up an MR2 from when i lived in Sydney and was a customer of BD4s. Paul's MR2 and the customer with the red one pushed the limits for the lil MR2s locally for a good many years

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...