SAU Community

Precision Billet Turbos

On 05/05/2021 at 6:53 AM, reaper said:

I think a 6870 could be a good match for a 2.8 with vcam and you'd probably be all in under 5. Keen to see someone try it though.

Nothing wrong wit a 6466, its a perfect street turbo imo just doesn't have the legs of the bigger cars.

doesnt one of the dahtone cars have setup? 2.8 + vcam + something 

9 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

What the hell has the oil change interval got to do with anything?

Just repeating what was said to me, take from it what you want 

12 hours ago, usmair said:

doesnt one of the dahtone cars have setup? 2.8 + vcam + something 

8374 on the car you are thinking of

21 hours ago, r32-25t said:

I was talking to the owner of the r32 gtr with the plates “billet” he has a 2.8 in a billet block making 1150hp at the wheels and regularly drives it on the street and has done 40 plus passes (best being a 9.0 at 160+mph) and he says it’s never been an issue and he drives it in stop/start traffic and the lot.

What he did say is he changes his oil pretty regularly and makes sure the oil is up to 80° before he drives it and apart from that it’s no different to having a cast block 

Yep the Malas brothers have had a good run with theirs and it does get driven.

They have also changed the oil as regularly as every 100km's in it and are pedantic about oil and water being up to temp before any kind of revs (which is a good thing) which I am sure does help.

That being said I have no intention of ever putting one in a street car :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reaper said:

They have also changed the oil as regularly as every 100km's in it and are pedantic about oil and water being up to temp before any kind of revs (which is a good thing) which I am sure does help.

Maybe a minimum oil change interval specification is required for a car to be called a "street car"

7 hours ago, reaper said:

Not exactly feasible to warm up the car for 10 min in order to pop around to the shops or the gym

31 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

who uses a gtr to pop to the shops? If Im going to bother to get the gtr out I’m going for a good drive 

was going to ay the same thing lol who could be bothered dragging a GTR out of the garage to go get milk lol

On 09/06/2021 at 9:05 PM, ido09s said:

was going to ay the same thing lol who could be bothered dragging a GTR out of the garage to go get milk lol

I used to take mine to the gym all the time, then out for a coffee at the local shops.

Will definitely be doing it again when it's back on the road

Not just sitting there idling though, quicker you get to operation temp the better under light load. It'll take a lot more than 10 minutes idling to get to 80 oil temp, even at 40+ ambient unless your cooling system sucks.

Mine comes out of the garage and runs till i know the door is down then its off down the road. Maybe 3 minutes and i am out of there. The engine is 17 years old now and still going strong. We have a GReddy sandwich plate with thermostat so it gets temp into it quick, but i cant be bothered warming it up. Just drive it sensibly and it will be fine

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BK said:

Not just sitting there idling though, quicker you get to operation temp the better under light load. It'll take a lot more than 10 minutes idling to get to 80 oil temp, even at 40+ ambient unless your cooling system sucks.

This.

Can't stand it when people sit there idling their cars for 10+ minutes, it's doing more harm than good. Never seen a GT3/V8 Supercar/Pro time attack car etc sit idling for 10 minutes, you fire it up and get moving. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Unzipped Composites said:

This.

Can't stand it when people sit there idling their cars for 10+ minutes, it's doing more harm than good. Never seen a GT3/V8 Supercar/Pro time attack car etc sit idling for 10 minutes, you fire it up and get moving. 

yup 100 percent mate. i live in an area where it gets extremely cold even minus 50 celcius sometimes. even then if the block heater was plugged in you only wait a couple minutes(or high idle it and thats better) then slowly warm it up driving keeping rpms lowish. warms everything else up slowly too transmission diff etc.  im sure most of you mates see how long it takes oil temps to rise in a gtr so just imagine your rb sitting there tryng to reach oil temps at idle? would take for ever and does a number on your rings especially older motors that arent perfect anymore. my gtr always smoked out the exhaust a bit until i got her warmed up so i never let it idle longer than 1 minute(and this wasnt the turbo as was a brand new precision).  get the rings and pistons hot soon as possible your engine will thank you.  that sitting idling crap is for the birds. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2021 at 10:21 AM, BK said:

You tune with JEM right ? What did they say ?

Back onto the topic of billet turbos instead of billet blocks

i was at a dyno day at jem early this month and decided to ask Adam about the 6870 2.8 combo while I was there, he said it should make 650kw at the wheels and be all in at 4500

• Like 1

1 hour ago, r32-25t said:

Back onto the topic of billet turbos instead of billet blocks

i was at a dyno day at jem early this month and decided to ask Adam about the 6870 2.8 combo while I was there, he said it should make 650kw at the wheels and be all in at 4500

I think he's dreaming....

Have a look another look at Reapers graph that you posted? 

A large static cam 2.8 will do better than a 3.2L V cam? 🤔