SAU Community

Punchy base

kslim

Hey guys,

Just wondering, I've got a 12 JL w3d2 running on jaycars 4x100.

It sounds ok but I want the base to be more punchy. ATM the base is really deep and drags on a lot. What settings on the amp should I make? Will that solve the problem?

Thanks

Kslim

Yeah I've heard of people doing that but never actually thought of doing it myself.

Are you supposed to glue or staple the filling to the walls of the box or do you just throw it in and leave it floating around?

Try adjusting the cross over point with your amp.

If it is set too high it will let in a lot of other frequencies which will dull or muddy the response. Thats what i've found anyhow, can make a big difference.

Check the size of your box is as per the specs that came with the sub.

A sealed enclosure (no port will be best)

Filling with dacron/wool/blanket wont make much differnece to a sub.

sounds like ur crossovers arent set.

punchy bass might mean that u want a more higher frequency bass than lower frequency which tends to make a low noise which drags on a bit.

is ur amp lpf'd ?

With the dimensions you gave above I can tell you now your enclosure is about double the size it needs to be. Halve the volume if it's sealed and see what the bass does.

Set the crossover at 100 to start with and set the slope to 24db if you can. ;)

my 12" sony in a sony enclosed box sounds quite punchy. If anyone is familiar with Deftones - Digital Bath song, it sounds fricken awesome on this sub, the bass drum is reproduced so well.

That is a really good song to show of the audio with.

Yeah I've rebuilt the box and customized it so it fits into one corner of the boot. Looks pretty mad and now sounds even better.

So i guess my problem was the box being too big. Anyways thanks everyone for all the help! :)